Drinks Package Limit - 15 ??

welshiebeth

Hi 

Has anyone cruised on the drinks package since they introduced the 15 alcoholic drinks a day limit? 

T&Cs say at bartenders discretion and they may charge...just wondered if this was likely to be strictly adhered to? Sailing on Princess Sapphire next month, last time we sailed the drinks flowed freely with no worries!

• Haha 1

This is what the Terms and Conditions actually say:

• Alcoholic drinks are limited to 15 beverages per 24-hour period (6 a.m. to 6 a.m.). Alcoholic drinks requested above the daily limits are at the discretion of the shipboard management and crew and charged at regular menu prices.
  • Non-alcoholic drinks do NOT have this limitation nor do they count toward this maximum.
  • Only one beverage is allowed per passenger per order (alcoholic or non-alcoholic).
  • Items selected that exceed the $12.00 USD or $16 .00 AUD price are charged at full menu price.
  • Packages may NOT be shared, are NON-transferable and NON-refundable.
  • Shipboard management reserves the right to add additional restrictions and revoke or cancel the Premier Beverage Package at any point during a guest’s voyage for any reason with or without a prorated refund. Additional actions may be taken if guests:
    • Become intoxicated
    • Provide beverages to other guests or do NOT comply with the terms, conditions and limitations of the package
    • Exhibit behavior that is inappropriate, a safety risk to themselves or others, or become offensive or disruptive to other cruise guests or staff
    • Exceed, or attempt to circumvent, the daily limits and service limitations outlined

The "ship's discretion" clause refers to cutting off someone who is visibly plastered. There is no discretion whatsoever in charging you for drink #16 and up each day; you will pay for them.

The assumption by Princess of course is anyone who does eclipse 15 alcoholic beverages per day and is still lucid enough to order more is either (1) sharing the package; or (2) server-hopping and stockpiling. Bully for you if neither is the case. But you should still agree that $59 plus gratuity for your first fifteen libations (plus unlimited sodas/waters/coffees both before and after that limit) is still a bargain.

Edited by fishywood
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, welshiebeth said:

Hi 

Has anyone cruised on the drinks package since they introduced the 15 alcoholic drinks a day limit? 

T&Cs say at bartenders discretion and they may charge...just wondered if this was likely to be strictly adhered to? Sailing on Princess Sapphire next month, last time we sailed the drinks flowed freely with no worries!

Thanks 🙂

They put in the limit primarily to stop "sharing" of the package, which was against the terms and conditions already, but some folks aren't so trustworthy.

Almost everyone stays within the 15 drink limit already.  But no, the bartender does not have discretion to give you additional free drinks.

19 minutes ago, fishywood said:

There is no discretion whatsoever in charging you for drink #16 and up each day; you will pay for them.

15 minutes ago, bemis12 said:

But no, the bartender does not have discretion to give you additional free drinks.

19 minutes ago, fishywood said:

2) server-hopping and stockpiling

stockpiled ?  yes, I have taken both beer and "Champagne" back to our cabin for consumption

bartenders have plenty of discretion - especially if you have been a repeat customer  treated them with respect and tipped them in addition to the 18%

j/s

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, welshiebeth said:

Hi 

Thanks 🙂

Probably part of the reason for the restrictions now.

Passengers pushed the envelope and now everybody pays the price for it.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, voljeep said:

bartenders have plenty of discretion - especially if you have been a repeat customer  treated them with respect and tipped them in addition to the 18%

j/s

I was speaking of discretion given them by princess their employerI was speaking of discretion given them by princess, their employer.

It’s almost certainly true that some of them are willing to steal from their employer in return for tips.

• Haha 1

The bartender rings up every drink. If you have the PBP, the computer shows the bartender that you have the package and how many alcoholic drinks you have had that day. If you have not had 15 yet, then he or she has the option whether to charge the package (if you are buying the drink for yourself) or to charge your folio (if you are buying it for someone else).

I have had experience reaching the limit a few times. I was usually at the same bar with the same bartenders, and they knew me and knew that I was not sharing. They also knew that I tipped generously for the excellent service I received. Note that I never tip in advance - I believe that is bribery not tipping. As far as I saw, they gave the same excellent service to everyone. Even though I did not tip in advance, the bartenders remembered me from previous cruises, so they knew could expect an excellent tip.

When I started getting close to 15, the bartender would tell me how many I had. After I finished my 15th, he asked me if I would like to purchase another one.

Just an FYI,  I had cruise card demagnetized twice and replacement was in DW's name - I thought, no problem since we both have PBP but server pointed out we would both count towards one 15 limit- so be sure your card is in your name if replaced. 

• Like 1

We traveled on a 5 day RT LA, Cabo cruise with our 30 something year old neighbor who had just gotten through an ugly divorce with his husband. 

He met his 15 drink limit every day.  And yes the bartenders let him know when he hit his max and made him pay if went over. He is an incredibly charismatic man and if anyone could have talked their way to an extra free drink, he could have. But he never was able to. He was never sloppy or inappropriate and never appeared drunk. He paced himself.  

I remember when I was 30 something I could easily do what he did. And look at me now, much older and just as much fun but I drink soooooooo very much less than that now. 

Just saying not all younger folks are idiots, vomiting all over the place picking fights when they have an open bar. 

We had a great time with our friend and are sailing again with him.  

I had the package and I hit the 15 drink limit twice, they tell you when you only have a couple of drinks left. What they did do when I hit the limit was to let my travelling companion (who had more drinks available) to get me a drink from their allowance. We did get on very well with the waiters it has to be said.

Vines is our pre-dinner go to ... and my downfall as to drink #'s with their somewhat skimpy pours at times ... but hey, at least there still is at least one cab under the $ 12 limit - and the service is always outstanding in there for us ...

it works well as I'll just ask for my number when they bring the first glass ... and 'plan' the night accordingly

• Like 1

The first time I got the package I thought damn there's no way I'll get to 15 in a day, but having lived through it, it definitely would not be hard to get there.  The drinks are definitely weak/skimpy pours.  It would be painful to pay the $8-12 out of pocket for each one.  Thankfully it's just the opposite with the package...weak? who cares? Pour another.

Anyone know what the deal would be if you ordered a double?  I haven't tried.

3 minutes ago, PMGS247 said:

The first time I got the package I thought damn there's no way I'll get to 15 in a day, but having lived through it, it definitely would not be hard to get there.  The drinks are definitely weak/skimpy pours.  It would be painful to pay the $8-12 out of pocket for each one.  Thankfully it's just the opposite with the package...weak? who cares? Pour another.

A double counts as two drinks. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PMGS247 said:

18 minutes ago, dstables said:

A double counts as two drinks. 

A double counts as two drinks. According to the rules of the package, you cannot be served two drinks at the same time, so technically you cannot be served a double.

With bartenders that knew me, they would sometimes pour me a double (I was drinking scotch neat). However, it was extra work for them, since they could not enter the two drinks at the same time. They would enter one drink, and then enter the second drink separately later.

11 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

A double counts as two drinks. According to the rules of the package, you cannot be served two drinks at the same time, so technically you cannot be served a double.

With bartenders that knew me, they would sometimes pour me a double (I was drinking scotch neat). However, it was extra work for them, since they could not enter the two drinks at the same time. They would enter one drink, and then enter the second drink separately later.

Makes sense.  I had a similar experience with a bartender last year.  The wife and I (both with the package) wanted one extra each to take back to our room at the end of the evening one night just so we could pack it in for the evening and he made it happen but had to ring them up separately.  I'm sure it comes down to their best judgment whether someone's up to no good or is genuinely just saving themselves a trip, but I definitely feel like it helps to know & have a good rapport with the bartender.

3 hours ago, PMGS247 said:

sitting at one of the pool bars, a couple of days into the cruise ... dude comes up and orders a double jack on the rocks at around 9:30 am ... bartender says no can do ... dude 'splains' how he has been served doubles all cruise long and knows it counts as 2 ... still no can do - 1 at a time - dude takes his one drink over to the table where he's smoking and comes immediately back to the same bartender ... still no can do

dude gets loud and bartender tells someone to call a supervisor before things get out of hand

dude goes back over to table - not sure what happened after that ...

I was served doubles on a regular basis on two cruises. One 28 days and the other 14 days. The first time a bartender asked if I wanted a double (drinking scotch strait up) I was surprised and asked about it. He said it was at the bartender's discretion. My wife and I both had the drink package (Sip and Sail) and he was well aware that we weren't sharing. (My wife doesn't even like the smell of Talisker - let alone the taste.) Didn't have an issue on either cruise.

42 minutes ago, voljeep said:

sitting at one of the pool bars, a couple of days into the cruise ... dude comes up and orders a double jack on the rocks at around 9:30 am ... bartender says no can do ... dude 'splains' how he has been served doubles all cruise long and knows it counts as 2 ... still no can do - 1 at a time - dude takes his one drink over to the table where he's smoking and comes immediately back to the same bartender ... still no can do

dude gets loud and bartender tells someone to call a supervisor before things get out of hand

Likely the guy was drunk. Bartenders have full discretion as to whether or not they will serve a double. The fact that the guy "got loud" and the bartender called for a supervisor would tend to bear out the "drunk" hypothesis.

55 minutes ago, voljeep said:

you get to see all the fun and interesting stuff

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, CCFC said:

I had the package and I hit the 15 drink limit twice, they tell you when you only have a couple of drinks left. What they did do when I hit the limit was to let my travelling companion (who had more drinks available) to get me a drink from their allowance. We did get on very well with the waiters it has to be said.

Why not advertise that you gamed the system. This is why we can't have nice things anymore.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, weedpindle said:

Why not advertise that you gamed the system. This is why we can't have nice things anymore.

Considering they force all adult cabin mates to purchase the package, I don’t hate the move of someone who has the package using a roommates who doesn’t max theirs out. If there’s a package to non-package flow of drinks in any way I’m right there with you, but for onesey/twosey package to package drink gifting, nbd as far as I’m concerned.

1 minute ago, PMGS247 said:

Considering they force all adult cabin mates to purchase the package, I don’t hate the move of someone who has the package using a roommates who doesn’t max theirs out. If there’s a package to non-package flow of drinks in any way I’m right there with you, but for onesey/twosey package to package drink gifting, nbd as far as I’m concerned.

Who told you that they force adult cabin mates to purchase the package? 

4 minutes ago, PMGS247 said:

They do not.   

• Like 2