traveling with Medication

Well, my list of daily pills have increased from my last cruise. I now like to use the daily pill boxes, but wonder if I can travel with them already prepared for every day use or will I have to bring the actual prescription bottles for proof of what they are? They are just your basic BP, cholesterol, etc type medications. Nothing narcotic or any thing like that.  And I always carry a written list of them just in case. Just don't want to have to lug around all those bottles if I can avoid it. 

Thanks

I use the one week pill boxes too when I travel and never had anyone question it. I do have my pharmacy print out a list of my meds, so I have something “official” in lieu of the pill bottles.

• Like 1

When I cruise, I put each days' pills in a small plastic pill envelope with the day and date on them. Since I only take 2 meds, I take the bottles with me, but no one has ever questioned me.  However, I HAVE had trip delays - one time we disembarked in NYC in a major snowstorm and had to stay in NYC for 3 days.  I was fine since I had my meds with me, but you may want to take an extra few days or a week's worth JUST in case! 😉

19 minutes ago, SeaBaby said:

I use the one week pill boxes too when I travel and never had anyone question it. I do have my pharmacy print out a list of my meds, so I have something “official” in lieu of the pill bottles.

Thanks!

Edited by libertybelle41

I take one of my prescription bottles and parcel out all my meds for the trip. Never had anyone show any particular interest

The one exception was many many years ago flying into Bermuda. The only thing we were carrying was my wife's birth control pills in original packaging. We spent a little time clearing entry customs. I guess they are very strict about drugs, but cruising should be no problem.

Please PLEASE bring double what you think you need. I'm reminded of the folks cruising out of Galveston in 2017 and Hurricane Harvey "dropped in" and dumped something like 40 inches of rain on Houston and areas south. So the ship was unable to dock in Galveston and instead had to go to Florida.  A 7 day cruise was, I believe a 13 day cruise.  There were several folks who were running out of (or had run out of) meds and the last several days were at sea so they couldn't even pick up extras until they reached port and then had to spend time trying to get refills. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, bighairtexan said:

Please PLEASE bring double what you think you need. I'm reminded of the folks cruising out of Galveston in 2017 and Hurricane Harvey "dropped in" and dumped something like 40 inches of rain on Houston and areas south. So the ship was unable to dock in Galveston and instead had to go to Florida.  A 7 day cruise was, I believe a 13 day cruise.  There were several folks who were running out of (or had run out of) meds and the last several days were at sea so they couldn't even pick up extras until they reached port and then had to spend time trying to get refills. 

Agreed  I was also on a cruise that was extended 3 days because  of weather. We had a stop in Mexico and many passengers had to purchase medication.  Others had created an exchange using  the ship community bulletin  board. 

As for the original question, there is no problem using a daily pill organizer.   In fact, any kind of drug can be in there.   In addition to my general pill organizer,  I have a second small pill organizer that has pain pills ( narcotics) in case  of an unexpected flare up of an issue I am currently treating.   NEVER any problem, even  when traveling to the Middle East.  

I bring a list of meds I use in case I have any medical issue.  I keep the list folded in my  small OTC  med case as well as on my phone.   I know this sounds like overkill but I have gone through serious medical treatment for an illness and have to  stay  prepared.

M

I'd still be careful. It used to be that all medication had to be in their original prescription bottle. That was several years ago. It may have gone by the wayside now.  All my friend's pills were confiscated by airport security because she had them all in a plastic bag..not one pill bottle in sight.  I cheat a little. I use one prescription bottle and put all my pills into it. I also bring my empty day by day pill dispenser. No one has ever looked in the pill bottle, that is in my purse, while going through airport or cruise security.  But would you do if someone in charge did decide that you needed the original prescription bottle...or relenquish your unidentified pills?  Better safe than sorry.

Have never had anyone even ask if I had medications.... at airport or on ship... and I always bring double what I will need in my carryon that stays with me.  I would think that having original prescription bottles would be written in policies that are given to passengers if they were going to worry about it.

If you are embarking/disembarking from a cruise in Dubai take the time to google what prescription drugs you can carry into that country.  Some of our Australian everyday drugs are prohibited. One never knows when you might be tapped on the shoulder in Immigration.

I’ve never been asked either. I went to the USA TSA website and it clearly says that they do not require solid or pill-form meds in prescription bottles. Liquids are a different matter.  

It does say that some states have different rules regarding prescription labelling, and passengers have to comply.....but one can research that if need be.  

I travel internationally for work about 40% of the year.  ALL over the world.

I carry my meds in pill organizers, and have NEVER had an issue.  Even when my carry on is hand searched and they see the pill organizers.

I would carry any narcotic drugs in the original (IN DATE) containers.  

We were advised that when flying into Australia, we needed to bring meds in their original containers.  It really caused a problem for my husband as he takes a lot of meds but we did as we were told. No one even looked at them or our list from the doctor.  

Hmm, I have entered Australia twice.  Neither time was there any concern or questions about meds.

Now, FOOD YES. 🙂

First time, once I explained that I was only in Australia to fly from Sydney to Brisbane, then was going to PNG, the nice lady said, "OH, I understand" and passed me through. 😄

Edited by SRF