lobbying to get Priest aboard for Christmas sailing

trish1c

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

I understand what you mean but I'm still surprised about it.

If the ship is decorated for Christmas the cruiseline has decided that: "We celebrate Christmas". Why no priest if they celebrate Christmas?

(Of course I know that many of the Christmas traditions has nothing to do with Jesus but Christmas is still a religious holiday.)

I understand that American laws may say something different but my opinion is that a cruiseline should be able to have a priest onboard for Christmas sailings if they want to without any hell breaking lose.

I have to say it again, I don't care about it I'm just surprised.

(The OP mentioned that HAL has a priest onboard. Do you know if that has been a problem for them?)

Your line of reasoning is really strange to me. No one is saying that the cruise lines can't hire a priests for guests who want them. It's up to each cruise line to decide which services they'd like to provide their guests.

You clearly care. I don't know why you are saying you don't.

Christmas decorations (which in all likelihood are non-religious 'wintertime' decorations) are some implicit promise that they will provide all possible Christmas services? Like some other people have mentioned, wouldn't that mean they would need to provide a priest of every possible Christian denomination?

Some cruise lines have decided that providing that service is not worth it. Take it up with NCL if you want them to provide you with a priest onboard, or pay for a ticket for a priest to come with you.

19 hours ago, trish1c said:

We're booked on a 2 week cruise over the holidays, leaving the Saturday before Christmas coming back on the Saturday after New Years.  

I have written to NCL guest relations & the Apostle of the Sea, a catholic organization that places priests on cruise ships at the request of the cruise line.  

This voyage has 3 Mass requirements.  Yes I can go to Church in port on Christmas & the following Sunday but I'm at Sea on the 1st Sunday.  Has anybody ever had success persuading a cruise line to place a priest on board? I know HAL always has a priest but I love this itinerary 

If you have issues with the Catholic Church, I'm sorry for your pain but please refrain from bashing my faith on this thread.   

I am a senior citizen and when I was growing up the nuns told us that  if someone is in a situation

that they can't attend mass but they want to, they are given leniency.  I also  think

a certain number of days can be skipped  and have it be OK. I would ask your priest if this is still the church's teaching.

Edited by Peachypooh

33 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

HAL does not provide the priest. There is an independent organization (can't remember its name) that pays for the priest to be on board.

If you are correct why is it only Holland America that have a priest on every cruise? I believe the priests on Holland America are all part of an organization called the Apostleship of the Sea of the United States of America and they provide priests for all ships requesting them.

Edited by rhblake

Some cruise lines do have clergy on board but I've not seen it on NCL.  There were priests on all my sailings on Crystal and on my Easter cruise on Seabourn.  On Crystal, they have Catholic Mass every day.  Just an FYI for the future.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Defhermit said:

Your line of reasoning is really strange to me. No one is saying that the cruise lines can't hire a priests for guests who want them. It's up to each cruise line to decide which services they'd like to provide their guests.

You clearly care. I don't know why you are saying you don't.

I really don't care. 1. I'm not religious and normally don't attend any masses. 2. I should never cruise during Christmas because then I prefer to be at home.

I think that it's strange that the cruiselines decide not to have priests on the ship during Christmas when they obviously celebrate Christmas which is a religious holiday even if the decorations are "wintertime" decorations and not religious.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I think that it's strange that the cruiselines decide not to have priests on the ship during Christmas when they obviously celebrate Christmas which is a religious holiday even if the decorations are "wintertime" decorations and not religious.

The trouble is, Christmas is not exclusive to a specific denomination of Christianity. The OP of this thread is Catholic. In order to fulfill her needs, NCL would have to provide a Catholic priest that was qualified to give Mass. If they provided a non-denominational priest, it would not fulfill her needs. Meanwhile, if they provided a Catholic priest, that would not fulfill the needs of the Protestants on board. Having Christmas decorations on board does indicate that NCL recognizes many of their passengers celebrate Christmas in a very broad and generic way, but providing a priest on board would force them to narrow that celebration to a specific denomination which is likely to alienate as many of their passengers as it satisfies.

• Like 5

I really don't care. 1. I'm not religious and normally don't attend any masses. 2. I should never cruise during Christmas because then I prefer to be at home.

Haha. Every public location (restaurants/hotels/government buildings/malls/theaters/etc) in America puts up vague Christmas-y (but actually completely non-religious wintertime) decorations during the holiday season. That doesn't mean priests are brought in to do mass! I don't know why you think it's strange. Are you an American?

If the decorations are non-religious 'wintertime' ones, then the cruiselines are not 'obviously' celebrating Christmas as a religious holiday. They are taking part in the cultural non-religious 'holiday season' that virtually all American corporations do during that part of the year.

I don't know if it's strange not to have a Priest on board a cruise ship during Christmas Holidays.  It does sound like some organizations try to hire Priests and pay for their fare to have them on board.  But, I don't think that's the cruise line's responsibility.

If they did do that, I'm guessing that opens the flood gates to have a Rabbi on board for Yom Kippur, or a Monk for Vesak, or an Imam on board for all of Ramadan, etc.

I just don't think the cruise lines want to get into the business of providing religious personnel for the many religious Holidays.  Having a Priest would set that precedent.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what it is like in Sweden, but in the USA, there is definitely a "non-religious" aspect to "Christmas time", with decorations in many places.  There are often lights, and many "Christmas trees", in non-denominational/non-religious areas, such as shopping centers.  (There are also some other holidays celebrated at a similar time, but the timing doesn't overlap exactly, and might not overlap at all in some years.)

Many families have "Christmas trees" and other decorations in their homes, but they don't celebrate it in *any* religious way.

(Children are often the most delighted, as there are almost always "gifts" involved for them.)

Additionally, and importantly, there are other Christian faiths that are *not* "Catholic".  What about those officiants, even IF a cruise line decides to "celebrate" the religious holiday?

If a cruise line *provides* the religious officiants and their fare, that would mean that ALL cruisers are paying their part... regardless of their religious beliefs or lack thereof.

GC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peachypooh said:

I am a senior citizen and when I was growing up the nuns told us that  if someone is in a situation

that they can't attend mass but they want to, they are given leniency.  I also  think

a certain number of days can be skipped  and have it be OK. I would ask your priest if this is still the church's teaching.

Catholics are “excused” from attending Mass if it is not possible.

55 minutes ago, Defhermit said:

Haha. Every public location (restaurants/hotels/government buildings/malls/theaters/etc) in America puts up vague Christmas-y (but actually completely non-religious wintertime) decorations during the holiday season. That doesn't mean priests are brought in to do mass! I don't know why you think it's strange. Are you an American?

Apart from the fact that sverigecruiser shows his/her location as "Sweden" right there under his/her avatar, Sverige means Sweden.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Apart from the fact that sverigecruiser shows his/her location as "Sweden" right there under his/her avatar, Sverige means Sweden.

I did not know that, thanks.

21 hours ago, trish1c said:

I have written to NCL guest relations & the Apostle of the Sea, a catholic organization that places priests on cruise ships at the request of the cruise line.  

Has anybody ever had success persuading a cruise line to place a priest on board? I know HAL always has a priest but I love this itinerary 

If you have issues with the Catholic Church, I'm sorry for your pain but please refrain from bashing my faith on this thread.   

Looks like you are doing everything you can,  you also might want to ask your parish priest or  the diocese  if a retired priest may be available and literally give the contact  information of that priest to the cruise line.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, trish1c said:

We're booked on a 2 week cruise over the holidays, leaving the Saturday before Christmas coming back on the Saturday after New Years.  

This voyage has 3 Mass requirements.  Yes I can go to Church in port on Christmas & the following Sunday but I'm at Sea on the 1st Sunday.  Has anybody ever had success persuading a cruise line to place a priest on board? I know HAL always has a priest but I love this itinerary 

The last NCL Cruise I was on was over Easter and there wasn't a service provided because they did not get a volunteer to lead it. It sounds like either visit a church in port or find a retired priest to join you. Peace!

20 minutes ago, Peachypooh said:

Yes sorry I used the wrong word.

I don’t think there is a right or wrong word, agreeing with you and just confirming that, to the best of my knowledge, it is not considered a sin to miss Mass if it can’t be helped.

1 hour ago, ColeThornton said:

I would imagine HAL has a priest on every cruise because the average age of their clientele is in their 90's.  👿

Facts - the average age of HAL cruisers is not over 90, Fact  - you can have religion in your life at any age.

• Like 2

I don’t believe anyone is asking other passengers to subsidize having a Catholic Priest for services over Christmas.

I understand what the OP is stating.  (S)He wants to know how to get a Priest on board for Christmas services (or, in this case, a Catholic Mass).  We’ve offered several suggestions, including finding a Priest willing to go on the cruise with her/him, and upon finding one, picking up the tab for the Priest’s travel and fare.  To me, that’s the likeliest route to go.

I didn’t see anywhere where the OP was asking for other passengers or the cruise line pick up the tab for the Priest.

As far as Catholic Doctrine is concerned, I believe the OP would be “in the clear” if S(He can’t attend services on the date (s)he says (s)he’s required to.  That’s not the way “Holy Day’s of Obligation” work.  If you’re sick, away from a church or don’t have access to a Catholic congregation with a Priest to celebrate, (By being at sea, I’m sure that qualifies), (s)he would have no obligation to attend.

Given the OP seems to be devout, (s)he would know all of this, already!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Notnewtoit said:

Why does one need a priest to have a service, the concept is somewhat bigger than a person.  

Only an ordained priest can perform The Mass, known more fully as the Most Holy Sacrifice of the Mass is the central liturgical act in the Catholic Church where the bread and wine are consecrated and become the body and blood of Christ. 

My friend to learn more please visit you local parish, welcome.

Edited by Newleno
  • Like 2