Build Your Perfect NCL Ship

I agree with many of these things, but my #1 is a Spinnaker! Or some other large venue to keep the activities out of the atrium. That is my biggest beef with The Escape. No one wants to sit in uncomfortable folding chairs because they run out of space EVERY DAY. I am looking forward to heading back on The Gem next year just for this fact alone. I'll miss the dining options and District Brew House the most, though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, david_sobe said:

The most common complaint of recent NCL ships is not having a forum for its game shows which are held in the atrium.  Limited seating and many others have to stand and cant see even with the second tier looking down.  Having said that

#1 (priority) is a mini theater that can hold about 300 people.  All the game shows that should be on a stage for people to see can be held there.

#2. Move the Haven Aft or put the haven pool somewhere with an ocean view.  Hello!  People are paying such high prices for an exclusive area with a tiny pool with no view.

3. Get a pizza place that has great pizza.  No more cake boss.  Go to NYC and franchise some local famous pie for its ships.

YES YES YES I agree with you.  The atrium is too noisy and odd.  mini theater can serve a lot of purposes.

I have also thought the Haven being up high in front was not worth the money. Closed in small pool and their open deck up in the front were it is breezy.  

Well Carnival ( sorry I know this is NCL site) but they have their upscale Cabana area down lower and in the back with the pool on the aft and the balcony rooms open out onto the promenade with hammocks and chairs with a gate for each room as well as separated from the rest of the ship on the promenade level.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

A solarium pool with retractable roof like the MSC Seaside. Why they didn’t think about doing this when they built the Bliss for Alaska is beyond me. I think all new ships should have one that could be used in cooler weather cruises. Dart boards and table shuffleboard but in the District Brew House. Not enough in there to entertain besides drink. 

Oh yes agreeing with this as well.

I was on the Bliss and when bad weather, everyone inside the ship.  I did the Explorer of the Seas (RCI) in Alaska without covered pool and it was windy and folks were annoyed.  

so NCL might brag about the observation, but cover the darn pool too.  I will check out MSC Seaside as I did not know they had a roof.  then again some ships that had the roof are removed during dry dock for a large movie screen which gets less use that a pool would.  oh well

4 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

So far, MSC has the best fresh pizza at sea, IMO. Any pizza sitting under a heat lamp in the buffet will be bad, though. Must...be...fresh.

Haven't tried MSC but Carnival had really good pizza when I used to sail on that line back when my kids were younger.  Moved on from Carnival years ago so I don't know if it is still good.

We’ve been on the Epic, Breakaway, Getaway and Escape, and used/loved the Wasabi/Pincho.

We were recently on the Bliss and we really missed the ship not having Pincho.

So, my vote is for Encore to have Pincho.

15 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

So, my vote is for Encore to have Pincho.

Pincho seems like the best kept secret on Escape. It's almost never busy. I have no idea why! They have delicious food in reasonable portions at reasonable prices and outdoor seating on the Waterfront. I feel like everyone who tries Pincho LOVES it, but few people know to try it.

I think the Jewel class ships are the perfect size- the Gem is my favorite. My dream ship would definitely include the Spinnaker lounge at the front of the ship. The game shows, etc, would be held there instead of the crowded, noisy atrium. There would be a Great Outdoors in the aft- so relaxing. Also, the theater would be large enough to hold more passengers so it wouldn’t be necessary to reserve shows. All the scheduling and reservations take away from the original “freestyle “ vacation that NCL advertises....

• Like 2

Make the size of H2O larger and add a pool there.

Add a good burger/bratwurst lunch place.

Pizza place!

Make Vibe bigger!

Change menu more often. ( I know limited space to store product)

HOWL AT THE MOON

• Like 1

Well I am certainly showing my age now:

#1-better seating on the Pool deck for those who are mobility challenged. Many ca not get out of the lounges so they have no real place to sun. 

#2-and most important, passengers who spend less time griping about little things and more time being thankful they can cruise. 

#-3 newer ports; am tired of the same old ones. How about more on the east coast from south of NYC to Florida. 

#4-newer shows. So many have been around for years now 

But overall, I am happy with what we have. I have never had decent pizza on any ship and we don't sail to eat pizza anyway. 

3 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

Well I am certainly showing my age now:

#1-better seating on the Pool deck for those who are mobility challenged. Many ca not get out of the lounges so they have no real place to sun. 

#2-and most important, passengers who spend less time griping about little things and more time being thankful they can cruise. 

#-3 newer ports; am tired of the same old ones. How about more on the east coast from south of NYC to Florida. 

#4-newer shows. So many have been around for years now 

But overall, I am happy with what we have. I have never had decent pizza on any ship and we don't sail to eat pizza anyway. 

I don't think many people sail to eat pizza, however it can/does fill a void.

Snack between lunch/dinner

Lunch by itself

Late night snack ( takes the edge off/ soak up some alcohol)

I think that's why pax are asking for a decent pizza place. 

4 hours ago, beerman2 said:

I don't think many people sail to eat pizza, however it can/does fill a void.

Snack between lunch/dinner

Lunch by itself

Late night snack ( takes the edge off/ soak up some alcohol)

I think that's why pax are asking for a decent pizza place. 

I know, I was just being a smart A@@. I will have to say, I think I have had pizza on about three different lines, always after a morning of touring and too late for the buffet or just wanted to grab a quick bite: never has it even been as good as the basic frozen pizzas. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2019 at 3:20 PM, Marine Mom said:

That is why we love the Gem.  Spinnaker Lounge is a great space and all the game shows, parties, etc., is held in there.

Spinnaker is hands down the best venue on any ship we have been on. Comfortable seating, great view...and a bar 🍹

I understand the Bliss' Observation lounge is also lovely...but not for shows. 

Amy

On 5/13/2019 at 6:47 AM, Red-Sol said:

Just saw an article about something new that will be added to a Carnival ship....a roller coaster! Sounds interesting but not sure if it would be enough to make me sail on Carnival:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/10/photos-carnival-cruise-ship-will-have-first-onboard-roller-coaster.html

I would nor be impressed at all with a roller coaster. We are not going to an amusement park for heavens sake. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2019 at 3:12 PM, david_sobe said:

The most common complaint of recent NCL ships is not having a forum for its game shows which are held in the atrium.  Limited seating and many others have to stand and cant see even with the second tier looking down.  Having said that

That was one of my main complaints about the Bliss. The Atrium is just too noisy for events like the Captain's Q&A.  I was there, near the edge, and had a hard time hearing anyone that wasn't the CD.  Everyone else was too quiet on the microphones and was drowned out by the noise from the bar or the 2 people sitting next to me that simply didn't seem to be interested.  I mentioned the Atrium acoustics to the CD (who actually thought he recognized me from someplace) and he noted that it's a common complaint without much of a solution.

On 5/10/2019 at 3:52 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

Add a 2nd Haven pool

Because the Haven doesn't consume enough space already?  There are other people on the ship besides those that can afford a $10K room.

What would I have on my "perfect" cruise ship?  DEFINITELY the Studio cabin/lounge setup.  As a solo cruiser I feel this is a GREAT concept.  However, if they do all the Haven stuff @Two Wheels Only wants done I can't see how this other demographic can be accommodated...

3 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

I would nor be impressed at all with a roller coaster. We are not going to an amusement park for heavens sake. 

I actually wouldn't find that to be anything all that great to me either...but the good thing about it is due to being elevated it takes up a lot less deck space. To me for some of the other things that don't really interest me (go karts, ropes courses, laser tag, are a total waste of prime deck space) That being said there are many people that do enjoy those types of things...and that's what makes cruising fun...having something for everyone.

3 hours ago, hallux said:

Because the Haven doesn't consume enough space already?

Actually, no. The Haven doesn't take up as much space as people believe. Even with the most recent ships having a larger forward-facing sundeck, the Haven sundeck is smaller than the combined space of VIBE and the public sundeck across from VIBE. The amount of interior space (other than staterooms) isn't large, either. Compare the size of MSC's Yacht Club lounges to NCL's Haven lounges. 

There are other people on the ship besides those that can afford a $10K room.

Look at it this way...

If the space/passenger ratio in the Haven was the same as the ratio for those outside of the Haven, who in their right mind would pay for the Haven? Having more space per person is one of the benefits of the Haven. My suggestion was for moving where that space is, not for doubling the amount of space.

Instead of a forward-facing sundeck, I put the Haven sundeck aft. Putting a pool there doesn't take away a pool from the rest of the ship. In my version, there are 2 pools plus hot-tubs for non-Haven guests....just like BA/BA Plus currently have. Adding a 2nd pool (adult) for the Haven would solve what is possibly the biggest Haven complaint (other than cost, obviously). There would be no more "...kids took over the pool..." Haven complaints. 

As a solo cruiser I feel this is a GREAT concept.  However, if they do all the Haven stuff @Two Wheels Only wants done I can't see how this other demographic can be accommodated...

Easily. 

Having a studio/studio lounge section is easily accomplished. A studio-balcony would be difficult (it isn't cost effective for NCL) but studio-interior is easily made using space that is available.

When NCL adds a bunch of stuff to the sundeck (go-karts, mini golf, laser tag, basketball court, rock climbing wall, etc.) it ISN'T the Haven taking up too much space. It's NCL using the space for what doesn't interest too many people. That is the problem. 

As for Carnival's "roller coaster", it isn't really a roller coaster. Having 2 guests on the track at a time will mean even longer lines than for NCL's go-karts. 

2 hours ago, Red-Sol said:

I actually wouldn't find that to be anything all that great to me either...but the good thing about it is due to being elevated it takes up a lot less deck space. To me for some of the other things that don't really interest me (go karts, ropes courses, laser tag, are a total waste of prime deck space) 

Those would be Princess, HAL, and Celebrity ships. 

6 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

moving where that space is,

So, move entire Haven aft or just take away Spice H2O in favor of the Haven sun deck and make those folks walk to the other end of the ship for that space?

The race track takes some room, no doubt, but RCI has ships with a "Seaplex" that occupies space in a similar way on the top 2 decks, though maybe not quite as much but those decks still feel more spacious than the BA+ ships do (or Bliss anyway).