Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
hannahsnana

Bad experience on Allure

Recommended Posts

Unless you were on this cruise, and reports from those that were seem to indicate it was closed to passengers, you won’t know what actually was open/not open!  I really doubt the boardwalk was still open to passengers and was likely chosen because they could close the main entrance to the boardwalk. 

 

and I know I never said they needed to only celebrate in closed quarters @@ I actually think the pool deck would have been a better venue, even half of it.

 

the level of assumptions here is amazing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was not on this Allure cruise, but I´ve been on a couple Cruises where crew were rewarded with a Special Event. 

Last year I was on a cruise when they closed off the buffet for one night to be used for a crew Event. 

Yes the entire buffet was off Limits for guests for one night and I applaude the cruise line for doing such Things.

 

Anyway it´s Pretty clear to me, that the venue of the Event is closed off for guests, as it´s a reward for the crew and not something where crew still has to be cautious as guests are mingling with them. They Need a Party away from the guest interaction. 

 

Let´s face it the OP hasn´t been back and likely won´t be back. Time to let the dead horse rest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:04 AM, hannahsnana said:

We are currently sailing on Allure. This cruise was booked after the cancellation of our Oasis cruise, after which we booked a boardwalk balcony cabin on Allure as choices were limited. Everything was going OK with a few minor problems until last night. They had informed guests they were rewarding crew members for a 99% rating on their last inspection by allowing them access to the Boardwalk from 8:00 til 12:00 last night. That seemed OK to us until we returned to our cabin at 9:30 after dinner and a show. The noise from the Boardwalk with the door closed was unbearable to even sit and watch tv, much less go to sleep. There was a reggae band blasting music and a person singing, yelling , and more from the crowd. After dealing with it for a while, I called guest services and they said they’d send security to our room! What? My husband went down to guests services at 10:30 to complain again. They took his complaint and said it would stop at 11:00, which it did. If we had been outside in the hall making such noise , I’m sure there would have been security there right away! Needless to say, I am not happy with the situation that unfolded and are going to request compensation for several hours of interrupted calm in my cabin, much less the lack of sleep. By the way, when they did shut it down , the singer yelled out somebody closed them down! Yes, a paying guest!

 

 

 

I want to know what the "more" was!  😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Amen! The people getting bent out of shape about a "closed public venue" need to read better! The BW was NOT closed off!

 

But some people seem to want the ship's crew out of sight in the hold unless they are serving the pax. Reminds me of stories from 2 different contractors about the attitude toward workers at Augusta National, where even contractors coming to work are instructed to keep out of sight of the members and guests, and to turn away to avoid interaction if an encounter happens to occur. The "help" aren't people, apparently. 

 

Oh BS, stick to the subject at hand, not some "stories" of whata, coulda happened somewhere else. No one one is saying "the help" don't deserve some recognition or that they should be looked down upon.

 

I'm no snob but there is a time and place for extras for employees. The fact that people (even one person) complained tells you that this was poor customer service. Like it or not in the service industry the customer does come first.

Edited by mac66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mac66 said:

I'm no snob but there is a time and place for extras for employees. The fact that people (even one person) complained tells you that this was poor customer service. Like it or not in the service industry the customer does come first.


I beg to differ.  People can and do complain about EVERYthing and ANYthing... including things that are entirely out of the company's control (weather or a medical emergency causing an itinerary change, etc.).  

People feel entitled to the moon... but that doesn't mean they are gonna get it (or that they should).  

The customer is NOT always right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brillohead said:


I beg to differ.  People can and do complain about EVERYthing and ANYthing... including things that are entirely out of the company's control (weather or a medical emergency causing an itinerary change, etc.).  

People feel entitled to the moon... but that doesn't mean they are gonna get it (or that they should).  

The customer is NOT always right

 

Do you think approving a loud party in close proximity to guest staterooms, late into the evening, was entirely outside of the companies control? 

 

This shouldn't even be controversial. It's obviously not a good idea from a customer service standpoint. Some people, myself included, wouldn't mind it. But its not unreasonable for others to be unhappy.  This was simply not a good idea. Give the crew a party, do it at the crew bar or the main theater. Somewhere non disruptive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BNBR said:

 

Do you think approving a loud party in close proximity to guest staterooms, late into the evening, was entirely outside of the companies control? 

 

This shouldn't even be controversial. It's obviously not a good idea from a customer service standpoint. Some people, myself included, wouldn't mind it. But its not unreasonable for others to be unhappy.  This was simply not a good idea. Give the crew a party, do it at the crew bar or the main theater. Somewhere non disruptive. 

 

 

hhmmmmm...................what kind of a party can there be in the main theater?!?!?!??!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

 

 

hhmmmmm...................what kind of a party can there be in the main theater?!?!?!??!

 

They could easily have the band on the stage and use the rest of the theater space, including the stage, for drinks and dancing. 

 

And it's irrelevant. If there isn't a good place for the party without disrupting guests, than you don't have the party. Maybe studio b as well would be an excellent space. There is a bar in there, too.  Big area to hang out. 

 

I've been in customer service all my life, this is really basic stuff. Especially in hospitality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm on the side of "the crew deserve the party and this was designed to be as undisruptive as possible."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I'm on the side of "the crew deserve the party and this was designed to be as undisruptive as possible."

 

How is a party at 11pm at night, with a loud band, a few feet from guest cabins in any way undisruptive?  Let alone "undisruptive as possible".  Really, it almost couldn't be more disruptive. If I were RCCL corporate, I'd be very concerned about the judgment of the hotel director on this ship.  It's so clearly a bad idea.  I'd be so uncomfortable if I were in charge of this. Just looking at the cabins right there.  Knowing people are trying to sleep a few feet away.

 

And as I said, I'd probably grab a drink and hang out on the balcony enjoying the festivities as a guest. But it's obviously not unreasonable for some guests to be disrupted and unhappy.  This shouldn't even be controversial. And again, nobody is saying the crew don't deserve a party. It's the location and timing of it that is questionable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BNBR said:

 

How is a party at 11pm at night, with a loud band, a few feet from guest cabins in any way undisruptive?  Let alone "undisruptive as possible".  Really, it almost couldn't be more disruptive. If I were RCCL corporate, I'd be very concerned about the judgment of the hotel director on this ship.  It's so clearly a bad idea.  I'd be so uncomfortable if I were in charge of this. Just looking at the cabins right there.  Knowing people are trying to sleep a few feet away.

 

And as I said, I'd probably grab a drink and hang out on the balcony enjoying the festivities as a guest. But it's obviously not unreasonable for some guests to be disrupted and unhappy.  This shouldn't even be controversial. And again, nobody is saying the crew don't deserve a party. It's the location and timing of it that is questionable. 

 

An Aqua Theater show can go until 10 or 10:30. As people leave, they are <gasp> making noise. The Carousel is often open until 10. 

 

The people in Boardwalk  balcony cabins do survive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

 

An Aqua Theater show can go until 10 or 10:30. As people leave, they are <gasp> making noise. The Carousel is often open until 10. 

 

The people in Boardwalk  balcony cabins do survive.

 

Correct. 10PM is a reasonable time.  Which is when festivities end. Midnight is not.  The party got cut short at 11 due to guest complaints but was scheduled until midnight.  Pointing out that other shows and activities end at 10 only proves my point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2019 at 11:52 AM, brillohead said:


Closing down a basically empty neighborhood is no big deal.  

Boardwalk rooms shouldn't expect quiet.

The crew deserved what was probably a once-in-a-lifetime reward.... this is hardly something that occurs every single week on every cruise.  

Get over it.  

 

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you but if the BW is a basically empty neighborhood at night, then many people may book the BW rooms expecting them to be quiet at night. In this case, I don't think the OP had much choice as it was a "make-up" cruise for an earlier one that was cancelled.

 

Having said all that, I don't think the crew having a party in a public, customer area is a big deal as along as it does not detract or negatively affect the majority of the customers.

 

And the 11:00 pm does not seem especially late, even for early-risers/early-to-bed type people. Midnight might be pushing the envelope though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 complaint, apparently, out of all the BW staterooms. (Based on the hollered statement that mentioned "a paying guest" complained).  From a molehill to a demand for compensation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ooo, ooo, ooo - I just thought of a really great analogy.

 

When I sail  on an eastbound transatlantic, they steal an hour of sleep from me every night, for six nights.

 

COMPENSATION!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BNBR said:

 

How is a party at 11pm at night, with a loud band, a few feet from guest cabins in any way undisruptive?  Let alone "undisruptive as possible".  Really, it almost couldn't be more disruptive. If I were RCCL corporate, I'd be very concerned about the judgment of the hotel director on this ship.  It's so clearly a bad idea.  I'd be so uncomfortable if I were in charge of this. Just looking at the cabins right there.  Knowing people are trying to sleep a few feet away.

 

And as I said, I'd probably grab a drink and hang out on the balcony enjoying the festivities as a guest. But it's obviously not unreasonable for some guests to be disrupted and unhappy.  This shouldn't even be controversial. And again, nobody is saying the crew don't deserve a party. It's the location and timing of it that is questionable. 

 

If I were RCCL corporate I wouldn´t be concerned I would have ordered the Hotel Director and Captain to hold this Party exactly there and then. The only Thing I´d be concerned About would be About the decision to cut it short one hour. Otherwise they´d get a Bonus from me for Holding that crew reward Party there and then. 

 

I agree with you About one Thing - this shouldn´t even be controversial. It should be in the Deep interest of every customer to see how a Company treats their employees, back them up against complaints and yes for a couple of Hours even might put their wellbeing above that of the customer. 

A happy crew will make a happy customer. In the bigger Picture it´s better to even lose a few disgruntled customers over a happy crew who will make such a difference to the majority. 

The customer is Always Right is certainly a Thing of the past. We are Living in a different world today and it´s huge priority These days to Keep your employees happy. 

It´s a fine line to be drawn between making employees happy and customers happy, but this fine line certainly is not crossed By a temporary small inconvenience to the customer which was announced in Advance with a very clear timeline.

 

I know we will Keep disagreeing on this and I´m glad you are having a great Career in customer Service, as with your attitude you´d never get a Job in that Position if I owned the Company.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 123funcruiser said:

 

If I were RCCL corporate I wouldn´t be concerned I would have ordered the Hotel Director and Captain to hold this Party exactly there and then. The only Thing I´d be concerned About would be About the decision to cut it short one hour. Otherwise they´d get a Bonus from me for Holding that crew reward Party there and then. 

 

I agree with you About one Thing - this shouldn´t even be controversial. It should be in the Deep interest of every customer to see how a Company treats their employees, back them up against complaints and yes for a couple of Hours even might put their wellbeing above that of the customer. 

A happy crew will make a happy customer. In the bigger Picture it´s better to even lose a few disgruntled customers over a happy crew who will make such a difference to the majority. 

The customer is Always Right is certainly a Thing of the past. We are Living in a different world today and it´s huge priority These days to Keep your employees happy. 

It´s a fine line to be drawn between making employees happy and customers happy, but this fine line certainly is not crossed By a temporary small inconvenience to the customer which was announced in Advance with a very clear timeline.

 

I know we will Keep disagreeing on this and I´m glad you are having a great Career in customer Service, as with your attitude you´d never get a Job in that Position if I owned the Company.

 

Well good thing I don't need a job.

 

Your idea of customer service and hospitality pretty much guarantees you would never be in such a position. 

 

Your entire post is basically putting employees above the customer. That's comical. Utterly ridiculous actually. 

 

Disney put out a fantastic book "Be Our Guest" and has classes as well.  You should get a clue about how hospitality works. It would be helpful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 123funcruiser said:

 

If I were RCCL corporate I wouldn´t be concerned I would have ordered the Hotel Director and Captain to hold this Party exactly there and then. The only Thing I´d be concerned About would be About the decision to cut it short one hour. Otherwise they´d get a Bonus from me for Holding that crew reward Party there and then. 

 

I agree with you About one Thing - this shouldn´t even be controversial. It should be in the Deep interest of every customer to see how a Company treats their employees, back them up against complaints and yes for a couple of Hours even might put their wellbeing above that of the customer. 

A happy crew will make a happy customer. In the bigger Picture it´s better to even lose a few disgruntled customers over a happy crew who will make such a difference to the majority. 

The customer is Always Right is certainly a Thing of the past. We are Living in a different world today and it´s huge priority These days to Keep your employees happy. 

It´s a fine line to be drawn between making employees happy and customers happy, but this fine line certainly is not crossed By a temporary small inconvenience to the customer which was announced in Advance with a very clear timeline.

 

I know we will Keep disagreeing on this and I´m glad you are having a great Career in customer Service, as with your attitude you´d never get a Job in that Position if I owned the Company.

What a pathetic mission statement! I’m sure your shareholders would be ecstatic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well... on our last cruise (Symphony, over super bowl weekend), there was a large construction company charter onboard.  Every night, at least one venue was reserved just for them.  I feel like this was WAY more annoying than one crew party...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 7:10 AM, BNBR said:

 

Well good thing I don't need a job.

 

Your idea of customer service and hospitality pretty much guarantees you would never be in such a position. 

 

Your entire post is basically putting employees above the customer. That's comical. Utterly ridiculous actually. 

 

Disney put out a fantastic book "Be Our Guest" and has classes as well.  You should get a clue about how hospitality works. It would be helpful. 

You have to remember employees are customers also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2019 at 7:03 PM, brillohead said:



People feel entitled to the moon... 

Watch out saying that around here.  I was clobbered for it last week.  🙂  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...