Recent Allure Dress Code for Men & Boys...Shorts?

Please forgive me for a dress code post.  I've looked for answers and found it difficult to find anything with the search function on CC.  We are sailing with a large family group in late June.  I was asked by some in the family if men or young boys can wear dress shorts in the MDR.  My husband always wears long pants with a nice shirt and a sports coat.  I have informed all the males that they need to wear long pants with a nice shirt each night.  However, we will be in the Caribbean and it is going to be hot.   The boys are 9, 12 and 13 and they dislike wearing long pants in the summer.  Other than the two formal nights, do men wear shorts in the MDR?   

I just returned from The Allure.  There were many, many men and boys wearing shorts to dinner on nights other than formal night.  I was not paying attention on formal night, but I would bet they were wearing shorts those nights also.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

Don't overthink formal night, you will still see shorts and T'S on some people.  

I know I shouldn't.  I typically follow the dress code and the code doesn't mention allowing shorts for dinner.  On the other hand, if my guys arrived on the ship and found men in shorts in the MDR, they wouldn't be happy packing all those long pants.   That is exactly why I asked this question.

• Like 1

Some wear shorts, some don't. But it's going toward the trend of more people just doing shorts for dinner. On our upcoming med for formal nights, I am just bringing a dinner jacket and a collared shirt with no tie.

17 hours ago, Nashna said:

I know I shouldn't.  I typically follow the dress code and the code doesn't mention allowing shorts for dinner.  On the other hand, if my guys arrived on the ship and found men in shorts in the MDR, they wouldn't be happy packing all those long pants.   That is exactly why I asked this question.

Pack 1 pair of long pants just in case.  FYI some of the Royal ships are way to cold in public places and long pants might feel good.  I have started packing a sweater.

I am so torn about this.  It's our first RCCL cruise and my husband and boys are not happy about having to wear pants to dinner every night.  The dress code says no shorts.....but is everyone telling me that men wear shorts to MDR at night??

11 minutes ago, npb1894 said:

I am so torn about this.  It's our first RCCL cruise and my husband and boys are not happy about having to wear pants to dinner every night.  The dress code says no shorts.....but is everyone telling me that men wear shorts to MDR at night??

It does appear that shorts are ok on regular nights.  I am telling the menfolk to bring long pants for the formal nights and shorts are ok for the other nights.  That way, they will have long pants with them.  My DH will bring long pants for each night as that is what is comfortable for him while the younger family members are more comfortable in shorts.   I still remember when sailing meant a tux for men on formal nights, a suit for semi-formal nights and a sports jacket for casual nights.  Times have certainly changed!   

Just now, screenname2004 said:

I was on Allure in April of this year. There were some men wore short sleeves or polo shirt with shorts in MDR on formal nights.

So many folks have reported that shorts are worn on formal nights, that It appears the dress code is not enforced.  

44 minutes ago, npb1894 said:

Dress code is a “suggestion “ and is rarely enforced. One thing your boys and family should know, just in case you forgo packing any long pants, is long pants are required to go ice skating and this is enforced. You need long pants and full socks to participate.  Not suggesting dress pants for ice skating - but jeans or whatever you prefer. 

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 12:58 PM, MLAW said:

I just returned from The Allure.  There were many, many men and boys wearing shorts to dinner on nights other than formal night.  I was not paying attention on formal night, but I would bet they were wearing shorts those nights also.

there were shorts and t shirts on formal nights, which surprised us.

22 minutes ago, pmck said:

there were shorts and t shirts on formal nights, which surprised us.

That appears to be the norm.  Our guys will wear long pants on formal nights.  

• Like 2

On the Oasis this past Feb we always wore shorts to MDR. One night we went in and saw it was formal night so we asked the attendants if it was ok in shorts or not.We told them if it was an issue we had no problems going elsewhere. They said come on in. They don't care. Not entirely sure how what I'm wearing, decent long shorts and button shirt, can affect someone else's dinner.

29 minutes ago, Nashna said:

That appears to be the norm.  Our guys will wear long pants on formal nights.  

Yeah, my husband wore a suit and my daughter and I were dressed up, but it sure isn't like it used to be. There were some people really dressed up, but some people totally underdressed.  They should just go to the buffet, where there is no dress code.

It's Rare, but have witnessed few MD Formal nites when people were being turned away for what they were wearing(Shorts/Tank tops). Couple went away mad but saw some return after changing. Had it even posted in Cruise Planner once in either 2016 or 2017 on Formal Nite "No Shorts Allowed" instead of Recommended. At least they are consistent being Inconstant

Edited by ONECRUISER

On 5/29/2019 at 2:39 PM, Nashna said:

Dress code is suggested, not a rule.

I'm on vacation on a cruise i paid a few thousand for. The people in charge of the ship say i can eat in my presentable relaxed clothes. Yeah, I'm gonna keep doing it until they say I can't, which to be honest I would have no problem with. Sorry.

• Like 2