Fate of Empress and Majesty of the Seas?

29 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

And Pride of Aloha and Pride of Hawaii? Both German built including hull.

We're discussing Pride of America.  The other ships didn't last long in that market. I dont know the details

12 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

We're discussing Pride of America.  The other ships didn't last long in that market. I dont know the details

We‘re discussing ships that sailed within Hawaii only and both did. I know the details of those ships.

6 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

We‘re discussing ships that sailed within Hawaii only and both did. I know the details of those ships.

Good for you. I've read they can no longer get certificate for US flagging, so it's a mute point. 

@chengkp75 if you have time, can you remind us how Pride and Aloha got their US Flags?

Edited by John&LaLa

5 hours ago, sherrjo said:

No one from the UK wants small ships it would be a kick in the teeth to offer them tue oldest ship in the fleet after removing Indy. Also where would it go that voyager class ships can’t.? 

I wonder why RC doesn’t look at Hawaii trips. 

There are dozens of famous ports in North Europe a ship of Empress size can go but a Voyager class and bigger can‘t. 

These ships were brought back from Royal's subsidiaries specifically for the Cuba runs,. Due to their extreme age now, I do not see Royal keeping them here. All their sailings for 2020 have already been cancelled with no notice of alternate ports of call for 2020!

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:49 PM, John&LaLa said:

Good for you. I've read they can no longer get certificate for US flagging, so it's a mute point. 

@chengkp75 if you have time, can you remind us how Pride and Aloha got their US Flags?

Similar to other flag states you have to hire crew under local contracts, US flag requires crew with contracts and salary in line with US requirements. This is e.g. why Royal and others went away from Norwegian flag, became too expensive. This is why many Norwegian officers are gone from Royal.    

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 1:45 AM, Wilnic said:

These ships were brought back from Royal's subsidiaries specifically for the Cuba runs,. Due to their extreme age now, I do not see Royal keeping them here. All their sailings for 2020 have already been cancelled with no notice of alternate ports of call for 2020!

The Majesty is now doing 4 and 5 night Caribbean itineraries this August.  I noticed this because we're on a Navigator cruise in August, and we were originally pleased that, on our Cococay day, we were the only ship scheduled to be there. Now I see that the Majesty is there too on the same day!!  Disappointing, as the Cococay reviews that I have read seem to suggest that the "perfectness" of the day is very effected by whether or not you're the only ship there. 

1 hour ago, gkbiiii said:

No I don't mean having a ship in South America, I mean having Miami based cruises to the Amazon, like Holland America & Princess.

Such a trip would be like 3 weeks; RCI just doesn't do that, especially on a ship like Empress.

35 minutes ago, gkbiiii said:

People would spend top dollar for a Royal cruise to the Amazon: often the worst ships are sent to the most expensive destinations, Royal should do this too.

NCL is doing exactly that, sending the Spirit and the Dawn on long Indian Ocean cruises going to South Africa.  Very expensive and very old ships..

Anyone on any of those Amazon cruises mentioned?  Understand it requires smaller ship. HAL sold Prinsendam which used to sail

that itinerary but replacing with Volendam which is much larger. Wonder how that will work out. ..

On 6/17/2019 at 1:31 PM, poncho1973 said:

Can you imagine all those sea days on that tiny ship with no amenities?

Sounds Fantastic!

As long as it has a pool, bar, hot food, and terrific staff.....dont need no slides.

• Like 6

On 6/17/2019 at 8:39 AM, colsky said:

The Majesty is now doing 4 and 5 night Caribbean itineraries this August.  I noticed this because we're on a Navigator cruise in August, and we were originally pleased that, on our Cococay day, we were the only ship scheduled to be there. Now I see that the Majesty is there too on the same day!!  Disappointing, as the Cococay reviews that I have read seem to suggest that the "perfectness" of the day is very effected by whether or not you're the only ship there. 

We were on Majesty last week at Coco Day with Navigator. No problem at all with overcrowding.

Just now, John&LaLa said:

Gotta love those 90 sqft cabins

I was quite surprised about the size of cabin on Majesty. You would have thought I would have known better, but no-o-o. They had our beds together with no walking area on my side. Had to take a "flying leap" to get into bed. As if this wasn't bad enough I just figured that it was "only" 5 days. Well with 2 days left I asked Antonio to pull the beds apart. Gave him a hug and a well deserved tip.😁

4 minutes ago, #1cruiseaholic said:

I was quite surprised about the size of cabin on Majesty. You would have thought I would have known better, but no-o-o. They had our beds together with no walking area on my side. Had to take a "flying leap" to get into bed. As if this wasn't bad enough I just figured that it was "only" 5 days. Well with 2 days left I asked Antonio to pull the beds apart. Gave him a hug and a well deserved tip.😁

Empress are even smaller. 

The Spacious OV on Majesty isnt to bad

• Like 1