Royal Caribbean - do they compensate for bad cruises?

19 hours ago, missyhol said:

Hi there,

Last year we arranged and booked with RC to cruise  on the Islands of Japan and Philippines tour in August.    Already we have been informed that we are no longer stopping in the Philippines so a fundamental mis-sell already. Anyway, not particularly a showstopper in itself  but nonetheless annoying - unfortunately we had already paid out for flights from UK to Hong Kong and return so we couldn’t really pull out.   However, really concerned of the reviews on this site with regards to the RC Voyager ship and current onboard staff and amenities.   We sailed with RC last year from NY to the Bahamas and really enjoyed ourselves so convinced others to join us.   I’d hate to get on board and find it is really as bad as the reviews have said.  I am hoping its not the case and that we all have a fab time.  We know its an older ship and I do know that some people have higher/lower expectations etc. However, i would feel more comfortable if I’m prepared if it does turn out to be a “motel” on sea i want to make sure that i collect all the relevant data/photos i need to claim refunds etc (and whether indeed this may be a mute point with RC -?)  We have already lost first deposit as they sold us a “you won’t get it cheaper than this deal” which transpired to be £2000 more expensive for our group of 9 than the cost 6 months later - we lost deposit (over £1000) and rebooked saving £1000 but as you can imagine it has already left a very bitter taste already with regards to the customer service of RC. 

So back to my question - has anyone claimed and been successful to receive a refund?

What sort of things do i need to record/photo/talk to if things are bad?  By the way, I’m hoping that I really don’t have to - but like the girl guide i was - i like to be prepared !

Many thanks

WOW - admittedly this is the first post of this kind I've read after years of participating on this site. It's important to note that while one may find both good and bad reviews of various cruises here...the negative ones tend to be the most vocal and often the most nit-picky when it comes to the details - some people look at the name here "Cruise Critic" and either take it literally as a duty or else a mission. Don't disregard the positive reviews - they have the highest probability of being closest to your own experiences.

It's fair to assume if someone is having that much self-imposed anxiety prior to going on a cruise...they'll have little or no trouble finding disappointment. 

Travel in general is littered with imperfection. Cruising is no different than air travel, hotels, tours, etc. You can have "issues" with any of those things. There's an old saying that "People who seek perfection will be disappointed 99% of the time".

Perhaps consider all the great memories and wonderful things you will experience.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MitzyG said:

Ok...so I decide to bring my own chair because, yes, the chair is important to me. 

19 hours ago, MitzyG said:

You brought your own chair?  How did you get it on the ship?  What kind of chair was it?  Not criticizing, just curious.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, st5310 said:

You brought your own chair?  How did you get it on the ship?  What kind of chair was it?  Not criticizing, just curious.

I'm so pleased someone has mentioned the chair. I was wondering too.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gerif said:

So you haven’t even set foot on the ship yet and are plotting a way to get your money refunded? How pathetic is that? Did you read any reviews BEFORE you booked as most normal people would have done? I love Voyager. If you have issues with the staff, maybe they are responding to your negative attitude. Think about it. Hope you get nothing. 

Exceptionally rude and pure harassment and an unsolicited attack on the OP.  Not surprised the post received 10 likes.

The OP has a right to be concerned just like anyone who spends their money has a right to expect value from their purchase.  They have already been inconvenienced and are entitled to explore all their options from a refund all the way to just taking the cruise.  That is the purpose of these boards - to gather and share information.  

Unfortunately, for the OP they became just another person on here who gets tarred and feathered for daring to say anything negative about RCI.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Based on the evidence available, I predict you will have a rotten time and hate every minute. 

I find in life, our situations often turn out to be influenced by our expectations. Think you’re setting yourself up.  

• Like 5

We have cruised with RC for a long time and have only had one disappointing cruise.  When we met out suite attendant he proceeded to tell us everything that was broken in the cabin, my husband asked for coffee refills and was told the ship was out of them and then he sexually harassed our 13 year old twin daughters.  I complained and got a new attendant.  When we got home my husband wrote a letter and we received an apology.  We didn't receive any compensation but we didn't ask for anything.

you kind if wonder why the author wants to cruise at all. A bought a bag of cherries at the supermarket yesterday. One of them was smashed up. Could any one offer advice on how to sue them for an inferior product? It was so traumatic that I don't know if I can eat them any more.😥

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Not much chance of taking your cruise then getting a refund. We have been given compensation if the AC was broken, or if itinerary was changed due to a mechanical problem.  But not because it just wasn’t a great cruise. 

I suggest you either cancel now or go in expecting to have a great time. Otherwise, you are just setting yourself up for a bad cruise. 

22 hours ago, broberts said:

In N.America non refundable deposits are returned as a future cruise credit less a US$50 which would mean a cost of US$450 for cancelling and rebooking 9 people. Hence my confusion at the £1,000 loss claim.

$100 per person is lost for each change of sailing date or ship.

2 hours ago, st5310 said:

Guys...I brought my chair and it was better than the ship's chair.  It rocks slightly and was extremely compact.   I napped very well in that chair.   

2019-06-09_9-48-02.jpg

3 minutes ago, MitzyG said:

PS...that chair folds up into a case approx 12"x3"x3"...fits in a suitcase and is 2 lbs

OK... makes sense.  And I have no doubt it was superior in comfort to the ship's chairs.  I had heard of folks bringing their own pillows and such, but not chairs.  I have learned something new today! 

13 hours ago, MitzyG said:

If anyone finds a "good time guaranteed" cruise, please let me know...I'd love to join that cruise!

Actually Carnival has something along those lines, it has to be exercised within 24 hours of embarking from their website...

WE'RE 100% CERTAIN YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE A GREAT TIME.

The Carnival Great Vacation Guarantee™ is the greatest vacation guarantee you’ll never need to use. If you’re not happy with any 3–14 day Carnival Cruise Line vacation you take to The Bahamas, the Caribbean, the Mexican Riviera, Bermuda, Canada/New England or Alaska, just let us know within 24 hours of leaving the port of embarkation. If we get something wrong, we’ll refund 100% of your fare with no hassles and our Guest Services team will get you back to your home or port of embarkation free of charge. Certain exclusions apply. Visit our FAQs for more information.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, st5310 said:

OK... makes sense.  And I have no doubt it was superior in comfort to the ship's chairs.  I had heard of folks bringing their own pillows and such, but not chairs.  I have learned something new today! 

hey....this option was better than sulking for 12 days with 6 sea days!   It was also far better than the other suggestions - stealing a chair from a public area?   Even if it were allowed, those chairs are heavy!    I really like having the high back for my neck and the public chairs don't have that.   People said that you should pull the chair in from the balcony.   I felt that my chair was more comfortable, besides the bird poop remnants on the chair...  ewwww.    And the shower wasn't large enough to spray that chair down.  no no.

You know how they say that you can't buy happiness.   Yes, philosophically,  I agree.   But you CAN buy improved happiness on a cruise!   It was worth $30 to bring my own chair!    I try to focus on the good parts...the magician was fabulous.   The comedian...fabulous.    I try to forget about the other 3 shows that I couldn't go to, the bingo that was sold out 3 hrs before the game.   

My favorite part...the family of seals that were right near the ship   I didn't have a camera wide enough to film the seal that I call "dad seal" and the other 3 that I call "mom and kid seals".   They were barking like they were having a conversation.   I wish I could have had them all in one frame so that I could subtitle the whole conversation because I'm SURE that the dad was just screaming "Let's go...come on..."   And the kids were screaming "but those people on the ship...they might throw us some food!"   Dad then responded "That's just junk food and it's not even that good...just wait for Royal Caribbean to come with the scones"   Mom then said "Kids, let's move along..."   The kids say "but we're MODELING...look, they're taking our picture!"    Yeah...my own private soap opera from my balcony.     I was proud of myself for finding really good moments in a crappy cruise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, gatour said:

Actually Carnival has something along those lines, it has to be exercised within 24 hours of embarking from their website...

They're smart..if you're a pill within 24 hrs, they  are better off with you off the ship.   But honestly, who knows that a 7+ day cruise will be bad after 24 hrs?   How much bad stuff can happen in 24 hrs?     Curious how many people have legit claims within 24 hrs.

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:49 AM, missyhol said:

Hi there,

Last year we arranged and booked with RC to cruise  on the Islands of Japan and Philippines tour in August.    Already we have been informed that we are no longer stopping in the Philippines so a fundamental mis-sell already. Anyway, not particularly a showstopper in itself  but nonetheless annoying - unfortunately we had already paid out for flights from UK to Hong Kong and return so we couldn’t really pull out.   However, really concerned of the reviews on this site with regards to the RC Voyager ship and current onboard staff and amenities.   We sailed with RC last year from NY to the Bahamas and really enjoyed ourselves so convinced others to join us.   I’d hate to get on board and find it is really as bad as the reviews have said.  I am hoping its not the case and that we all have a fab time.  We know its an older ship and I do know that some people have higher/lower expectations etc. However, i would feel more comfortable if I’m prepared if it does turn out to be a “motel” on sea i want to make sure that i collect all the relevant data/photos i need to claim refunds etc (and whether indeed this may be a mute point with RC -?)  We have already lost first deposit as they sold us a “you won’t get it cheaper than this deal” which transpired to be £2000 more expensive for our group of 9 than the cost 6 months later - we lost deposit (over £1000) and rebooked saving £1000 but as you can imagine it has already left a very bitter taste already with regards to the customer service of RC. 

So back to my question - has anyone claimed and been successful to receive a refund?

What sort of things do i need to record/photo/talk to if things are bad?  By the way, I’m hoping that I really don’t have to - but like the girl guide i was - i like to be prepared !

Many thanks

Maybe cruising isn't for you.  If you are looking for trouble, trouble will find you.  And you could be banned from cruising

My stop to Cuba was just pulled from my upcoming cruise. Replaced with Nassau. Disappointed sure. But I’m cruising in less than three weeks and super excited. I got thrown a curve but I’m knocking it out of the park. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, MitzyG said:

hey....this option was better than sulking for 12 days with 6 sea days! 

That was a smart decision!  You researched, found an area of concern, and came up with a way to avoid a possible problem becoming a big negative.

I think the harsh response to the OP is largely because they talked about seeking compensation rather than solutions.  If they had discussed what they had seen in reviews that concerned them, others here would have been able to offer suggestions or reassurances.  While it may not have been the OP's intention, jumping straight to a refund gave a lot of people the impression they are going into this cruise looking at how to get their money back, not at how to make the best of it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MitzyG said:

PS...that chair folds up into a case approx 12"x3"x3"...fits in a suitcase and is 2 lbs

Glad you solved your chair problem. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how the only food you didn't hate on the ship was the pizza.  I can't imagine that.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

Glad you solved your chair problem. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how the only food you didn't hate on the ship was the pizza.  I can't imagine that.  

I admit, I didn't eat at the main dining room and I think people who love the food eat there.  I can't do long dinners - I generally enjoy the shows, but couldn't due to the wait times. 

Breakfast - cold, undercooked pancakes.   I had injured my right arm (and I am right handed) so I wasn't interested in cutting the fruit from the rind (it was served in wedges that you had to cut).    I'm not crazy about Swedish smorgasbord or Asian congee.  

Every meal offered some unrecognizable food that seemed like it could have come from an alpo can, thrown into the tray and stirred.

I was excited to see something labeled "macaroni and cheese" made with shell like pasta.  The positive - it was a bit warm and the pasta was well cooked.   The sauce was weird...and had no cheese taste.   I couldn't eat it (and I do try to eat what I take, but no...)  

Snack time is not like Royal where there are "snack time foods".   Snack time = breakfast and lunch leftovers.   I didn't like it the first time and I'm not excited the second time.

I used to do weight watchers and we used to say that if you're going to eat dessert, only eat it if it's "worth it".   Most desserts weren't worth it.   "warm brownie" was "luke warm" with "luke warm hershey chocolate sauce" vs "hot fudge".   

I admit that I did like the pain au chocolat, the chocolate mousse, I then just lived with the pizza because it was actually good.   the burger bar alternated between burgers and "bbq".   I'm not crazy about "bbq".   

I don't think Royal Caribbean has the best food ever...but I never felt that there was very little that I could eat.   My favorite...sea day custom salad bar at the main dining room.   

3 minutes ago, MitzyG said:

I admit, I didn't eat at the main dining room and I think people who love the food eat there.  I can't do long dinners - I generally enjoy the shows, but couldn't due to the wait times. 

Breakfast - cold, undercooked pancakes.   I had injured my right arm (and I am right handed) so I wasn't interested in cutting the fruit from the rind (it was served in wedges that you had to cut).    I'm not crazy about Swedish smorgasbord or Asian congee.  

Every meal offered some unrecognizable food that seemed like it could have come from an alpo can, thrown into the tray and stirred.

I was excited to see something labeled "macaroni and cheese" made with shell like pasta.  The positive - it was a bit warm and the pasta was well cooked.   The sauce was weird...and had no cheese taste.   I couldn't eat it (and I do try to eat what I take, but no...)  

Snack time is not like Royal where there are "snack time foods".   Snack time = breakfast and lunch leftovers.   I didn't like it the first time and I'm not excited the second time.

I used to do weight watchers and we used to say that if you're going to eat dessert, only eat it if it's "worth it".   Most desserts weren't worth it.   "warm brownie" was "luke warm" with "luke warm hershey chocolate sauce" vs "hot fudge".   

I admit that I did like the pain au chocolat, the chocolate mousse, I then just lived with the pizza because it was actually good.   the burger bar alternated between burgers and "bbq".   I'm not crazy about "bbq".   

I don't think Royal Caribbean has the best food ever...but I never felt that there was very little that I could eat.   My favorite...sea day custom salad bar at the main dining room.   

LOL.  Can't do the MDR, unrecognizable food,  nothing good to eat for breakfast, couldn't cut the fruit with one hand,  don't like smorgasbord,  Mac&cheese not good, no snack time foods, weird sauces, desserts all sucked except pain au choc, don't like BBQ so burgers are a no go.   

I like that you were specific because it allows the reader to evaluate your feedback.  

Anyway, I feel for you.  May all your future cruises be Alpo free!  

• Like 3