Royal Caribbean - do they compensate for bad cruises?

On 6/8/2019 at 10:49 AM, missyhol said:

Hi there,

Last year we arranged and booked with RC to cruise  on the Islands of Japan and Philippines tour in August.    Already we have been informed that we are no longer stopping in the Philippines so a fundamental mis-sell already. Anyway, not particularly a showstopper in itself  but nonetheless annoying - unfortunately we had already paid out for flights from UK to Hong Kong and return so we couldn’t really pull out.   However, really concerned of the reviews on this site with regards to the RC Voyager ship and current onboard staff and amenities.   We sailed with RC last year from NY to the Bahamas and really enjoyed ourselves so convinced others to join us.   I’d hate to get on board and find it is really as bad as the reviews have said.  I am hoping its not the case and that we all have a fab time.  We know its an older ship and I do know that some people have higher/lower expectations etc. However, i would feel more comfortable if I’m prepared if it does turn out to be a “motel” on sea i want to make sure that i collect all the relevant data/photos i need to claim refunds etc (and whether indeed this may be a mute point with RC -?)  We have already lost first deposit as they sold us a “you won’t get it cheaper than this deal” which transpired to be £2000 more expensive for our group of 9 than the cost 6 months later - we lost deposit (over £1000) and rebooked saving £1000 but as you can imagine it has already left a very bitter taste already with regards to the customer service of RC. 

So back to my question - has anyone claimed and been successful to receive a refund?

What sort of things do i need to record/photo/talk to if things are bad?  By the way, I’m hoping that I really don’t have to - but like the girl guide i was - i like to be prepared !

Many thanks

6 hours ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

This gave me a chuckle. On our upcoming cruise, we are taking our DD, her partner and her 13 year old son. We took the son with us on a land-based vacation last year, ate at a different restaurant every night (in Spain, away from the touristy areas) and what did the 13 year old choose to eat every night?

Pizza.

His mom told him yesterday "don't think you're eating pizza every night on the cruise".

His reply "try and stop me".

Well that's fair enough as the person in question is 13 years old and I guess a lot of kids love Pizza however if I have paid a lot of money for a cruise I want to be waited on in the MDR most times and have a 3 course dinner. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, loveheart said:

Well that's fair enough as the person in question is 13 years old and I guess a lot of kids love Pizza however if I have paid a lot of money for a cruise I want to be waited on in the MDR most times and have a 3 course dinner. 

His Mom's trying to get him to be more adventurous when it comes to food. One cereal only at breakfast and either pepperoni pizza or KFC at dinner. She's tried showing him sample MDR menus, but the response was " there's nothing there l like"

'How do you know? You've never tried any of these dishes'

"I don't like the sound of them

I want pizza".

Battle royale coming up............

• Like 2

Hi there,

Last year we arranged and booked with RC to cruise  on the Islands of Japan and Philippines tour in August.    Already we have been informed that we are no longer stopping in the Philippines so a fundamental mis-sell already. Anyway, not particularly a showstopper in itself  but nonetheless annoying - unfortunately we had already paid out for flights from UK to Hong Kong and return so we couldn’t really pull out.   However, really concerned of the reviews on this site with regards to the RC Voyager ship and current onboard staff and amenities.   We sailed with RC last year from NY to the Bahamas and really enjoyed ourselves so convinced others to join us.   I’d hate to get on board and find it is really as bad as the reviews have said.  I am hoping its not the case and that we all have a fab time.  We know its an older ship and I do know that some people have higher/lower expectations etc. However, i would feel more comfortable if I’m prepared if it does turn out to be a “motel” on sea i want to make sure that i collect all the relevant data/photos i need to claim refunds etc (and whether indeed this may be a mute point with RC -?)  We have already lost first deposit as they sold us a “you won’t get it cheaper than this deal” which transpired to be £2000 more expensive for our group of 9 than the cost 6 months later - we lost deposit (over £1000) and rebooked saving £1000 but as you can imagine it has already left a very bitter taste already with regards to the customer service of RC. 

So back to my question - has anyone claimed and been successful to receive a refund?

What sort of things do i need to record/photo/talk to if things are bad?  By the way, I’m hoping that I really don’t have to - but like the girl guide i was - i like to be prepared !

Many thanks

Having gone back to the original post (above) and re-read it several times...it appears this poster is more apprehensive based on a lack of experience/knowledge than anything else...and an itinerary change has made them leary as well. For these reasons...they are looking to have a "Plan B" ready if/when needed.

While the idea of getting a refund is far-fetched...the poster's premise of "what do I do if..." isn't all that unusual.

All that said...when you get to the last few sentences in that lengthy post...it's clear that this person is overly-obsessed about any situation that hasn't even happened yet (hypothetical)  - seeking a solution for a problem that hasn't occurred. There's no appropriate help/answer to those kinds of "issues".

On 6/8/2019 at 7:49 AM, missyhol said:

Hi there,

Many thanks

If you have buyers remorse,  or dissatisfied with your cruise, write a letter to the CEO of RC.  You may get a full refund of your cruise.  Take lots of pictures and include them in your complaint letter.  You will stand a very good chance of getting a full refined or credit for a future cruise.👍

Good luck.

• Haha 3

We have only gotten compensation for 2 things... DH got sick with noro the morning of our excursion, and they gave us full credit back.  On another excursion, we were supposed to have a free meal.  It ended up being not free (and way overpriced).  I had the printout that showed food was supposed to be provided.  We ended up getting a partial credit back.  Both credits were done by guest services.

8 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

If you have buyers remorse,  or dissatisfied with your cruise, write a letter to the CEO of RC.  You may get a full refund of your cruise.  Take lots of pictures and include them in your complaint letter.  You will stand a very good chance of getting a full refined or credit for a future cruise.👍

Good luck.

Good luck indeed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Good luck.

About as good as my chance at winning the next Powerball lottery. 

• Like 6

On 6/11/2019 at 6:36 AM, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

All that said...when you get to the last few sentences in that lengthy post...it's clear that this person is overly-obsessed about any situation that hasn't even happened yet (hypothetical)  - seeking a solution for a problem that hasn't occurred. There's no appropriate help/answer to those kinds of "issues".

Therapy😉

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 3

On 6/8/2019 at 4:08 PM, missyhol said:

All i wanted to do was ask what happens if things go wrong?

😉

When I have paid out over £1300 per person i would like to be comforted by the fact that i have some recourse if things do go wrong

No, you were actually asking how and what to document to gather proof to seek a refund.  That seems a far step to consider when the cruise hasn't even started!  How about asking instead, "what kinds of things have gone wrong and what did you find was the most efficient way to get them fixed while onboard?"  You know... so that you can actually solve problems and enjoy your cruise.

On 6/9/2019 at 11:53 AM, LBumb said:

My stop to Cuba was just pulled from my upcoming cruise. Replaced with Nassau. Disappointed sure. But I’m cruising in less than three weeks and super excited. I got thrown a curve but I’m knocking it out of the park. 

Likewise.  We were SO looking forward to seeing Cuba so it's disappointing.  But, as I've always said, if a destination is a must-do, it's better to book a land-based trip which has less likelihood of change.  We didn't, which means we accepted when we booked that ports might change and they did.  So while we're disappointed, we figure we can visit Cuba another time, flying in for a land-based trip.  Meanwhile, we are looking at our new itinerary later this month with a "it is what it is" viewpoint. 

Royal has added Nassau and Coco Cay in lieu of Havana.  We've been to Nassau a zillion times and probably won't even leave the ship but we look at the positive in that....most will get off, the pool deck will be relatively empty so we can have our pick of chairs and get attentive service at the bar.  Coco Cay, well, we might get off an have a look at the newly added features, but in and of itself a beach day is nothing special to us, as we leave at the coast and can go to the beach any given day we feel like it.  But again, we look at the positive- many will be off the ship, so maybe a good day to book a massage or something. 

Regardless, we won't be home working, doing laundry, shuttling kids around etc. so we'll enjoy ourselves...even if it's pouring rain the whole time and we end up stuck inside taking long naps, reading books, and "enjoying our own company.'  😉

And we certainly won't be looking for problems and issues to photograph and document to try to get a refund because there's a frayed edge on the bedspread, the hamburger is dry, or the cabin steward doesn't smile enough. 

• Like 3

I recently traveled with a good friend on Ovation of the Seas. My friend had only cruised with Princess and whilst happy to book Ovation she changed her tune in the months prior to the cruise and decided RCL wasn't for her and continually whinged about RCL. My advice at the time was just go with the flow and not look for faults but concentrate on having a good time. This advice was not followed and once onboard the negativity ramped to the point I couldn't stand being anywhere near her as the complaints were so minor it was a joke. She went with a negative attitude and was determined to keep that negative attitude until she got off and tried everything to ruin my holiday as well. So OP please go with an open mind and remember you are not at home cooking, cleaning, shopping, sitting in traffic going to work etc.

On 6/13/2019 at 1:46 PM, waterbug123 said:

And we certainly won't be looking for problems and issues to photograph and document to try to get a refund because there's a frayed edge on the bedspread, the hamburger is dry, or the cabin steward doesn't smile enough. 

5 hours ago, Cruisegroover said:

So OP please go with an open mind and remember you are not at home cooking, cleaning, shopping, sitting in traffic going to work etc.

Two excellent comments here. Well said, both of you.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 9:10 PM, Kingofcool1947 said:

Good luck.

This is a joke??? Right??? 

• Like 2

On 6/10/2019 at 10:35 AM, Sancho_proudfoot said:

His Mom's trying to get him to be more adventurous when it comes to food. One cereal only at breakfast and either pepperoni pizza or KFC at dinner. She's tried showing him sample MDR menus, but the response was " there's nothing there l like"

I want pizza".

There was a study a number of years ago.   They allowed kids to eat whatever they wanted.  ANYTHING.

First few days, it was cake, candy, etc.

After a while, they started eating salads.

Maybe the best way to handle it is to let him eat what he wants.  Some people like eating the same thing every day.  Some do not.

On 6/10/2019 at 10:35 AM, Sancho_proudfoot said:

I want pizza".

How does a 13 year old pay for pizza or KFC for his every meal?

On 6/8/2019 at 4:08 PM, missyhol said:

Hey there - please can some of you dismount your high horses and read my post properly?  I don’t need to be brought down about my attitude.   I am actually quite positive and looking forward to the trip and  I am sure that everything WILL be fine and that the reviews made over the last few months (which are pretty much all negative) will be from those that have higher expectations than myself.   All i wanted to do was ask what happens if things go wrong? Has anybody fared well with getting a refund etc from royal Caribbean when things did go wrong?   (Please remember I’m a Brit and we are way behind certain continents on the suing/compensation culture. 😉 )

When I have paid out over £1300 per person i would like to be comforted by the fact that i have some recourse if things do go wrong - (yes i can read the Ts& Cs of the contract -  but hell i thought i was going to get some posts from those that have had experience of good/bad cruises rather than from those that feel they need to appear superior to others and state the obvious - or those that are vindictive and spiteful  “maybe just trolls in training” ?) I’m an experienced traveler and have had flights delayed, poor hotels, excellent hotels etc. BUT, the way i was treated during the booking process left a lot to be desired and I guess my question was really about the ethos of RC and whether they just take your money and its tough poop if their ship and staff don’t meet the normal standard.      Ok, hope you’ve all untangled your knickers now -  this was not meant to be a serious post by the way - just a “ what’s been your experience” and how best to deal with it -    Yes, we have the full alcohol package btw so we will be ok come what may !!   

Be careful, with these posts you risk leaping way ahead of the curve on compensation culture, lol.  And remember for all one hears about lawsuits, the vast majority of us never ever sue anybody, but rather snarl at the number of lawsuits.

The itinerary change is something that comes with cruising, especially in an an area of unrest.  If that is what has you upset, there is nothing you can do.  In fact, you should accept that weather, sea conditions or unrest etc could cause other itinerary changes, so stay flexible.  That is part of cruising, especially relocation cruises.

You seem to more upset about the booking process.  Was it the price drop (that you had to loose the initial deposit and rebook to obtain) really has you upset?  If so, most people would understand your frustration, and no doubt anybody would be frustrated. As I understand it (I am not a travel agent or other expert), UK bookings are obviously governed by different rules/laws with more travel protections than US bookings but no price drops is a trade off.  In the end your party decided to rebook, so please forget that deposit and move on with your life.  It is a “sunk cost”.  You cannot get it back; being angry over it only hurts you and those who associate with you.

Please remember that some people who write reviews take the “cruise critic” name to heart and critique their cruises.  Any unhappy cruiser is more motivated to compose and post a review than a score of happy cruisers are.  And some negative reviews concentrate on spots of rust on a balcony or a stain on the carpet.  Do not assume that “negative” reviews mean you will have a bad time.  Glean what pearls and tips you can from them and go on board with a good attitude.

If you do have an issue on board, address it on board.  For example, if the food or service in the dining room does not meet your expectations, speak to your waiter.  That usually solves the problem.  If he cannot or does not solve the problem, speak to the head waiter.  If the problem is in your stateroom, speak to your steward.  That usually solves the problem.  If that does not solve the stateroom problem, ask for his supervisor.  For other issues go to guest services.  If the first contact does not solve the problem, go back.

I can tell you that shoreside personnel  and on board personnel are completely different people.  The on board personnel try very hard to please guests on every ship I have sailed.  Go with a good attitude and give them a change to give you a good cruise.  

If things do not go well, address the issue promptly on board. Repeat if not resolved, escalating as needed.  Keep notes of your contacts if you are concerned. If the issue is nontrivial and is not promptly resolved, you might offered some compensation on board, but there are limits to what they can offer on board (they cannot offer a refund).  If at the end of the cruise, you still are not happy (let’s hope it does not come to that), you can compose a letter to the corporate office to voice your concerns and to request compensation.  I think it is unlikely that you will get a substantial refund (mostly because I truly believe any large problems will be addressed on board if reported).

I hope you have a wonderful and memorable cruise.

On 6/16/2019 at 12:30 AM, SRF said:

There was a study a number of years ago.   They allowed kids to eat whatever they wanted.  ANYTHING.

First few days, it was cake, candy, etc.

After a while, they started eating salads.

Maybe the best way to handle it is to let him eat what he wants.  Some people like eating the same thing every day.  Some do not.

Left to eat whatever he wants, it will be pizza all day every for the full 14 nights.

Hi there,

Last year we arranged and booked with RC to cruise  on the Islands of Japan and Philippines tour in August.    Already we have been informed that we are no longer stopping in the Philippines so a fundamental mis-sell already. 

What port or ports in the Philippines were cancelled?  What did RCI say the reason was?  Were there any ports replacing the original? 

On 6/8/2019 at 3:49 PM, missyhol said:

Hi there,

Many thanks

Dear OP,

I don't know if your still reading your thread but hear goes. Remember that CC is a global site so you will get various thoughts from different geographies around the world, each with their own customs or regulations and may not appreciate that member states of the EU have quite tight regulations/laws for holidays. That said, I can appreciate your concerns especially as you are travelling as a large group and you don't want to disappoint the others who booked because you spoke so highly of your prior experience. Cruises like all holidays, can have their ups and downs, with some minor or  major mishaps and only you and your party can decide what that is against your expectations and if those expectations are reasonable or unreasonable. 

I would suggest that you focus on making your holiday a positive experience but I do get your girl guide mindset if you are the lead passenger for your group and consequently feel under more stress and apprehension because they will look to you to 'sort things' if any goes wrong. I find that on cruises, the crew do try to help and ensure you have a great experience not least because you based on your first experience, invited others to join you because you enjoyed it. Guest services is always a good place to try or if you are C&A maybe the Loyalty ambassador could help in the event you have any issues. I find bringing things to their attention but not demanding anything is often the best approach if it is easily resolved on ship, so remember your good old British politeness and charm, it works every time.

My last cruise was on Celebrity  and we had first world issues from the get go, from supposedly expedited luggage arriving very late, finding the booking material of a previous 2016 occupant in drawers (I was on a 2018 sailing) to even finding a towel with someone's nasal discharge glaring at me when I walked into our bathroom at embarkation That was beyond gross. Holidays are always full of surprises that you look back on with a chuckle.

As for getting a monetary refund. This would be more difficult. I would always caution against potential litigation not least because even if you are successful, it is time consuming, stressful, has lots of pitfalls and is extremely expensive. As others have mentioned, if issues are raised on board the ship, you might receive at RCI's discretion, Future Cruise credits not a refund of any immediate monetary form. In the event that you are still not satisfied with this, you may ultimately need to consider proceedings. Be aware that the UK courts including small claims, now put a lot more emphasis on Pre-Action protocols which means demonstrating that you tried to resolve issues with the party you contracted with as the courts are considered a place of last resort when all else fails and that you have behaved reasonably. As Judge Judy says "the doctrine of clean hands". This is true irrespective of the size of a claim. I make this point because my husband for the last 2.5 years been a defendant following a large house remodel. A contractor decided to sue for £4,000 which they claimed they were still owed even thought they walked away without completing their contract and we had to remove their work. Some 2.5 years later, 3 court hearings, 2 expert witnesses, 2 firms of solicitors and 3 barristers and combined legal costs in excess of £45,000 (yes really), it is nearly at an end for a £4k claim. The contractor wanted their day in court but has finally seen the error of their ways and settled on our terms, i.e. paying us more money than they were originally claiming and a significant portion of our legal costs (you never recover 100%). If we are lucky we might break even. All very stupid but there you go, so please be careful  as matters can have unintended consequences.

As for your potential issues, the following are some (but not all of) the points you need to consider as a UK consumer:

How did you learn about your holiday? 

Was it an ad in the paper, the internet or a brochure? 

You need to get a copy of the marketing material that you relied on,  in what ever form, which induced you to book your cruise.

Under Section 50 Consumer Rights Act 2015, anything said or written that a consumer relies on when when making a decision becomes a contractual term and as such, there are statutory remedies if this is breached, so the claim “you won’t get it cheaper than this deal” could be viewed as a contractual term even if it was said in passing if it can be shown that it induced you to make a booking.  

The next thing is that you must be clear about is who your contractual relationship is with and was it booked in the UK even though you are travelling overseas.

I am not entirely sure from your post if you booked directly with RCI or a travel agent but whether its a intermediary or independent booking has significant bearing on whether the Package Travel regulations apply.

The next is the nature of your booking and what was included. So is it a package with flights, hotels and cruise all part of the same booking or are each of the constituent parts booked separately, so does ABTA or ATOL bonding apply to all or part. Note also that if you paid any portion of your booking (some or all your deposit) with a credit card, the credit card provider is jointly and severally liable under Section 75 Consumer Credit Act if the 'purchase' was greater than £100, so you can go to them not RCI. 

There is a lot to consider and you need lots of photos, emails, letters and names, dates and times of telephone calls etc. I am not a solicitor, but would suggest you read Which and the Citizens' Advice Bureau internet briefings for more details

Best wishes

• Like 1