Royal Caribbean - do they compensate for bad cruises?

Hey there - please can some of you dismount your high horses and read my post properly?  I don’t need to be brought down about my attitude.   I am actually quite positive and looking forward to the trip and  I am sure that everything WILL be fine and that the reviews made over the last few months (which are pretty much all negative) will be from those that have higher expectations than myself.   All i wanted to do was ask what happens if things go wrong? Has anybody fared well with getting a refund etc from royal Caribbean when things did go wrong?   (Please remember I’m a Brit and we are way behind certain continents on the suing/compensation culture. 😉 )

When I have paid out over £1300 per person i would like to be comforted by the fact that i have some recourse if things do go wrong - (yes i can read the Ts& Cs of the contract -  but hell i thought i was going to get some posts from those that have had experience of good/bad cruises rather than from those that feel they need to appear superior to others and state the obvious - or those that are vindictive and spiteful  “maybe just trolls in training” ?) I’m an experienced traveler and have had flights delayed, poor hotels, excellent hotels etc. BUT, the way i was treated during the booking process left a lot to be desired and I guess my question was really about the ethos of RC and whether they just take your money and its tough poop if their ship and staff don’t meet the normal standard.      Ok, hope you’ve all untangled your knickers now -  this was not meant to be a serious post by the way - just a “ what’s been your experience” and how best to deal with it -    Yes, we have the full alcohol package btw so we will be ok come what may !!   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, missyhol said:

I guess my question was really about the ethos of RC and whether they just take your money and its tough poop if their ship and staff don’t meet the normal standard.

You got that one right - they have the same reading ability as does this board!😱🙄

No, you will not be refunded for a "bad" cruise. The only refunds - which were  probably future OBC- were when a ship came back early for some reason. "Bad" is usually relative to expectation.  IMO, the only way to have a "bad " cruise is to get sick or have a noisy stateroom. All other variables are better than being at home and less expensive than a land vacation with the same amenities- food, shows, activities ect. I take those vitamin packets twice a day before and during cruise, wash my hands a lot, and bring a noise machine and ear plugs. I also pick a room above and below other staterooms. If you planning to look for variables that do not meet your expectations, you will probably find them everywhere. What is the fun in that?  Focusing on reasons to fight for a refund will certainly ruin  your trip.

Edited by budmeister
Better answer.
  • Like 6

39 minutes ago, missyhol said:

Hey there - please can some of you dismount your high horses and read my post properly?  I don’t need to be brought down about my attitude.   I am actually quite positive and looking forward to the trip and  I am sure that everything WILL be fine and that the reviews made over the last few months (which are pretty much all negative) will be from those that have higher expectations than myself.   All i wanted to do was ask what happens if things go wrong? Has anybody fared well with getting a refund etc from royal Caribbean when things did go wrong?   (Please remember I’m a Brit and we are way behind certain continents on the suing/compensation culture. 😉 )

When I have paid out over £1300 per person i would like to be comforted by the fact that i have some recourse if things do go wrong - (yes i can read the Ts& Cs of the contract -  but hell i thought i was going to get some posts from those that have had experience of good/bad cruises rather than from those that feel they need to appear superior to others and state the obvious - or those that are vindictive and spiteful  “maybe just trolls in training” ?) I’m an experienced traveler and have had flights delayed, poor hotels, excellent hotels etc. BUT, the way i was treated during the booking process left a lot to be desired and I guess my question was really about the ethos of RC and whether they just take your money and its tough poop if their ship and staff don’t meet the normal standard.      Ok, hope you’ve all untangled your knickers now -  this was not meant to be a serious post by the way - just a “ what’s been your experience” and how best to deal with it -    Yes, we have the full alcohol package btw so we will be ok come what may !!   

Basically what it comes down to is this.  Poor service, food, entertainment, accommodations, condition of the ship (unless it is deemed unfit to sail by the cruise line or a governing body) is not going to get you a refund on your cruise fare.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You make your issues known while still on board.  Let them fix things as it happens.  But no, you are not going to find many people who complain after the fact get anything.  

ww had major issues once regarding noise.  We brought it to the hotel director’s attention.  We got a letter later on in our cabin giving us a FCC alongside a plate of petit fours.

• Like 1

We have had issues on cruises and land based vacations, such as non functioning toilets, pools closed, power outages, illness, horrible weather, never once got any compensation. It’s a gamble. On our last cruise, Dd was ill and spent the entire day in the cabin, with loud clanking overhead for hours while maintenance worked on the balcony above us.

• Like 1

You get what you pay for with the older ships, and you should know that going in.  If you have realistic expectations, you'll have a great time.  There isn't a "bad" cruise ship, simply because it's older.  

Having said that, I had a NIGHTMARE cruise and I didn't get any kind of compensation.  Long story short I booked a large suite on the Carnival Pride, and it was the room from hell.  It was an older boat, all the way aft, and our room shook like we were in a paint shaker.   Every single thing in the room shook and rattled all day and night, the cabinets, the mirrors, the glasses at the mini bar, etc.  We had to stuff towels in the drawers just to make it stop rattling so we could get some sleep, but it made us sick. The chairs screeched and vibrated accross the balcony... Found out later that ship has a known issue with their azipods or something.   It was miserable and we would have traded that large aft suite for an inside cabin mid ship any day if it would have stopped the rattling. (none left)  It was SEVERE.  Anyway, ZERO compensation.  So FYI... You're not going to get some sort of refund just for booking an older ship.  That's crazy.

Edited by jetta8300

I would advise you to cancel your trip, since you seem hell-bent on having a bad time.    It's a ship....there are no guarantees of anything on a ship....let alone in life!  

A cruise line protects itself by telling you (when you buy a ticket) that they guarantee NOTHING.  You will get on the ship...but it may not go anywhere.  Or, it may go somewhere other than what they told you...it's all in writing!

Cruise at your own risk.  99.9% of the time, it's great.  If you are really picky...you might not find it to your liking.  You "Pays your money, you takes your chances".  

Bon Voyage!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, missyhol said:

Hey there -   All i wanted to do was ask what happens if things go wrong? Has anybody fared well with getting a refund etc from royal Caribbean when things did go wrong?   

You asked and we answered.  Why anyone expect a refund has confused many of us who are experienced cruisers.  Most of us would not go on a cruise expecting a negative experience and would cancel and find another way to Holiday.

hell i thought i was going to get some posts from those that have had experience of good/bad cruises                                Ok,  this was not meant to be a serious post by the way - just a “ what’s been your experience” and how best to deal with it -      

Yes, have had negative experiences and have received Future Cruise Credit.  I addressed the issue(s) immediately when they happened and I certainly did not take photos in the hopes of filing a claim for a refund.  What and why a refund?  One time I had a cruise booked and they changed a port before final payment so I switched to a different cruise.  I know UK can't switch like US but sometimes you simply have to cut your losses.

Every cruise I have been on has been wonderful and the important thing everyone must remember is SPEAK UP when it happens.  Don't dwell on the negatives they may happen.  Look forward to the great memories that will be coming your way.

3 hours ago, missyhol said:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wolfcathorse said:

....Some people get their knickers in a knot when the cabin steward forgets their ice, we just go get our own!

Where do you go to get your own ice? A bar? I would do this if I don't have ice when I want it.

8 hours ago, broberts said:

.....I'm not familiar with "you won't get it cheaper than this deal". I suspect the cruise line was a little more specific in the offer terms and the quote is you interpretation of those terms. Sadly, one has to very carefully read and parse offer terms of this sort.....

I think it's what they say when they are quoting you a price. They don't bother to tell you it's a non-refundable deposit like they used to. You must specifically ask for the refundable price if you want it which is higher.

I pretty much stopped making decisions based on reviews some time ago.  In fact I did that based on advice from a wise CC member.  haha.  

Anyway, sorry you feel put upon.  It is kind of the nature of some forums (like CC) for comments to get a little "edgy", even if unintended.  I can see how my initial comment could come across that way.   

Perceptions are all over the place and attitude plays a major role.  Also negative reviews tend to exaggeration and to pile it on.  Tastes vary considerably.  In general I don't like the pizza I've had on cruise ships.  Others might say it was the best food available on the ship.  I've been on ships where I thought the atmosphere was terrific and the ship in really good shape.  Someone else will complain that the same ship was practically falling apart due to lack of maintenance.   

Plan on having a great cruise.  I hope you discover that all of the negative comments were overblown.

As far as getting a refund or compensation, I can't really help as I've never been in a situation to think I needed one.  I am pretty sure the answer is really going to depend on the situation.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Retired LEO said:

Question: Has anybody fared well with getting a refund etc from royal Caribbean when things did go wrong?

Answer: NO

Just a certificate for future cruise credit that needs to be taken within a certain time frame - not what the OP is looking for :classic_ohmy:

We sailed on Voyager out of Singapore in March this year.

Yes, if you go looking, you will find signs of wear and tear... scuff marks on walls, worn carpet etc... after all, we're talking about a ship that is 20 years old. If you are sailing in August, the ship is going in to dry dock for refurbishment shortly after your cruise, so some of these things will be addressed then.

Did this affect our enjoyment of the cruise? Absolutely not.

No issues with the crew, they were great and pretty much as helpful as we would expect.

The funny thing was that our cruise had a high proportion of passengers from Australia, the UK and Germany. Talking to one of the bar staff, he told me the thing he liked most about that cruise was that the passengers said Please and Thank You... unlike what he had experienced  on previous cruises in the region.

Goes to show that your attitude toward the crew can have a huge bearing on their attitude towards you...

We missed an onboard activity because the time and date was changed, and received a full refund for that, but not once did we even have cause to complain about anything else on the cruise.

• Like 3

I have to admit that I was not looking forward to our first cruise,or to be more exact I was dreading it,my Wife had been going on about one for ages & eventually I gave in,it should be heaven to me,I love being on ships & much prefer using ferries to flying but the whole idea didn't fit somehow,how did it go,well afterwards my Wife said she was glad she had done it but wouldn't do it again(we have!)while I quite enjoyed it!

As for RCI & refunds I would forget it,we have had our proposed TA cruise in April 2020 on Anthem ruined(for us that is) because of the loss of Halifax which left us with 8 sea days out of 12 & nowhere that we really fancied visiting,it probably would be easier to take if RCI hadn't decided over a year in advance that it could be rough at sea next April hence the cancellation of the call,any compensation...no OBC,no FCC,£150 to swap to another cruise or cancel & lose the deposit,the latter is our choice,that hurts but the alternative is spending even more money on a cruise that really doesn't do anything for us any more!

17 hours ago, missyhol said:

Hi there,

Last year we arranged and booked with RC to cruise  on the Islands of Japan and Philippines tour in August.    Already we have been informed that we are no longer stopping in the Philippines so a fundamental mis-sell already. Anyway, not particularly a showstopper in itself  but nonetheless annoying - unfortunately we had already paid out for flights from UK to Hong Kong and return so we couldn’t really pull out.   However, really concerned of the reviews on this site with regards to the RC Voyager ship and current onboard staff and amenities.   We sailed with RC last year from NY to the Bahamas and really enjoyed ourselves so convinced others to join us.   I’d hate to get on board and find it is really as bad as the reviews have said.  I am hoping its not the case and that we all have a fab time.  We know its an older ship and I do know that some people have higher/lower expectations etc. However, i would feel more comfortable if I’m prepared if it does turn out to be a “motel” on sea i want to make sure that i collect all the relevant data/photos i need to claim refunds etc (and whether indeed this may be a mute point with RC -?)  We have already lost first deposit as they sold us a “you won’t get it cheaper than this deal” which transpired to be £2000 more expensive for our group of 9 than the cost 6 months later - we lost deposit (over £1000) and rebooked saving £1000 but as you can imagine it has already left a very bitter taste already with regards to the customer service of RC. 

So back to my question - has anyone claimed and been successful to receive a refund?

What sort of things do i need to record/photo/talk to if things are bad?  By the way, I’m hoping that I really don’t have to - but like the girl guide i was - i like to be prepared !

Many thanks

If I was RCCL I would just refund your trip and ban you from all their brands. You will cause too much trouble whilst on-board as your attitude is already negative and for what??? 

Most people only write negative reviews like others have already highlighted.  

• Like 5

17 hours ago, missyhol said:

Hi there,

Last year we arranged and booked with RC to cruise  on the Islands of Japan and Philippines tour in August.    Already we have been informed that we are no longer stopping in the Philippines so a fundamental mis-sell already. Anyway, not particularly a showstopper in itself  but nonetheless annoying - unfortunately we had already paid out for flights from UK to Hong Kong and return so we couldn’t really pull out.   However, really concerned of the reviews on this site with regards to the RC Voyager ship and current onboard staff and amenities.   We sailed with RC last year from NY to the Bahamas and really enjoyed ourselves so convinced others to join us.   I’d hate to get on board and find it is really as bad as the reviews have said.  I am hoping its not the case and that we all have a fab time.  We know its an older ship and I do know that some people have higher/lower expectations etc. However, i would feel more comfortable if I’m prepared if it does turn out to be a “motel” on sea i want to make sure that i collect all the relevant data/photos i need to claim refunds etc (and whether indeed this may be a mute point with RC -?)  We have already lost first deposit as they sold us a “you won’t get it cheaper than this deal” which transpired to be £2000 more expensive for our group of 9 than the cost 6 months later - we lost deposit (over £1000) and rebooked saving £1000 but as you can imagine it has already left a very bitter taste already with regards to the customer service of RC. 

So back to my question - has anyone claimed and been successful to receive a refund?

What sort of things do i need to record/photo/talk to if things are bad?  By the way, I’m hoping that I really don’t have to - but like the girl guide i was - i like to be prepared !

Many thanks

We booked a cruise going to the Eastern Caribbean two years in a row but plans got changed because of a hurricane each time, but that didn't stop us from having a great time! Just remember, your not at work, so have fun and make the most of it!

I had a 9N cruise last Dec to ABC Islands. Upon boarding, I got hassled with a purely administrative problem that should never of happened. I escalated it on board to the hotel director. Soon after the cruise, I got a $129 FCC and an apology. I was happily surprised. 😎

19 hours ago, missyhol said:

Hi there,

Last year we arranged and booked with RC to cruise  on the Islands of Japan and Philippines tour in August.    Already we have been informed that we are no longer stopping in the Philippines so a fundamental mis-sell already. 

You were planning to go to the Philippines in August?  Changing the itinerary did you a favor.

14 hours ago, missyhol said:

Cancelled this booking due to change in ports, I am with you mate!

19 hours ago, wolfcathorse said:

Perhaps you haven't heard about the civil unrest and terrorist activities that have been popping up sporadically lately in the Philippines. I'd be glad not to go there right now!

Nonsense.  Cruise lines don't get within 500 miles of Mindanao.  Best time to visit Philippines is December through March.  Plenty of cruises available.