Mediterranean seasickness

Barbara H

We'll be going on our Western Mediterranean cruise on the Emerald Princess in less than a month.  I'm so excited!  I was wondering if people experience much seasickness in the Mediterranean.  I've been fine in Alaska and the Caribbean.  I may get patches if necessary. Thanks so much!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Barbara H said:

We'll be going on our Western Mediterranean cruise on the Emerald Princess in less than a month.  I'm so excited!  I was wondering if people experience much seasickness in the Mediterranean.  I've been fine in Alaska and the Caribbean.  I may get patches if necessary. Thanks so much!

Never.  The seas are always quite calm in the Med.

Good luck.

• Like 2

We did a Mediterranean cruise for our honeymoon (and I'm pretty sure it was on the Emerald). My husband is very prone to motion sickness and I don't recall him having any issues at all on this one. 

1 minute ago, Dani24 said:

We did a Mediterranean cruise for our honeymoon (and I'm pretty sure it was on the Emerald). My husband is very prone to motion sickness and I don't recall him having any issues at all on this one. 

I appreciate your reply.

The Med is often quite calm ... BUT, it’s a large body of water and in heavy weather it can become quite rough.  If you’re susceptible to seasickness, just pack some meds just in case. Likely, you won’t need them!

Edited by BigGuy25
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, BigGuy25 said:

The Med is often quite calm ... BUT, it’s a large body of water and in heavy weather it can become quite rough.  If you’re susceptible to seasickness, just pack some meds just in case. Likely, you won’t need them!

It's always good to be prepared just in case. Thanks!

Depends on the time of year and the ports. In summer you should be okay. We have done the Med/Canary islands in Jan and the Med in April and experienced minor rough seas on both. The worst of it was crossing from Europe to the Canaries as you go far out to sea. Choppy to the point where you end up walking in a zigzag pattern around the ship because of the sway, nothing too serious. We did speak to some others who felt it was very rough and were suffering.

I have a problem with motion sickness, so I take a meclizine tablet every 24 hours. This is the medication in Dramamine 2, Bonnie, antivert, and several other over the counter meds. Sometimes I have more problems with shore excursions in a bus than on the water. I do have patches for really rough water. Have fun.

Taken on a wild day in October a couple of years ago and the Jewel remained stable,   the edge of the bridge always seemed to stay in the same position relative to the horizon despite the waves.20161028_133229.thumb.jpg.7c7c48435b92c73e553c0fec98ffff59.jpg20161028_131415.thumb.jpg.deed3ba54de4505653463a3384ff0663.jpg

We bring bands all the time regardless of location of the cruise  and sometimes have used them, and found that they help.  We have also noticed that the cabin location seems to make a difference as well as the weather.  We normally try to stay "mid" level so that we have cabins above and below us, so it is less noisy.  But we have stayed more "aft" and at times have noticed more movement/vibration from the ship than being more mid-ship or even "forward".  You may want to consider those factors as well.  Enjoy your trip. 

2 hours ago, Barbara H said:

It sounds like Bonnine and sea bands should be enough,  just in case.  I was debating getting the patch.  Thanks all for your replies.  

I didn’t catch my spell check correction- I typed Bonnine and got Bonnie😖

12 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Good luck.

Most definitely not true.  A friend of ours was on a cruise in the Med a while back and the ship was hit by a rogue wave.  It broke windows on upper decks and also bent some steel.

DON

17 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Good luck.

If only this was true.

My first experience of very rough seas was on a ferry from Athens to Mykonos many years ago and I have experienced quite a few Med storms since.

True the risk is lower in the summer months but when they happen sea conditions can be as rough as any other place.

Juliax

Folks are either prone to seasickness or not!

Unless the seas are very extra specially rough if you have not gotten sick in the Caribbean you probably won't get sick on the Med.

Patches require scrips in the USA and are heavy duty for folks who do not respond to the typical other over the counter meds. If you have not needed anything before I'd not start out with patches!

Did a Med cruise back in mid May 2015.  Had 2 sea days going back to Barcelona and it was quite rough.  I did not get sea sick, but the seas were rough.  The other days were not bad at all.

3 hours ago, riffatsea said:

Folks are either prone to seasickness or not!

Unless the seas are very extra specially rough if you have not gotten sick in the Caribbean you probably won't get sick on the Med.

Patches require scrips in the USA and are heavy duty for folks who do not respond to the typical other over the counter meds. If you have not needed anything before I'd not start out with patches!

That's good info.  Thank-you.

We have done 3 Med cruises in the late fall, and have had calm seas and beautiful weather on all of them.

Our DD and her DH did a summer cruise in the Med and most of the days they had calm seas.  But, one day was very rough and lots of people were seasick.  So,  you never know what kind of seas you will get, so be prepared is the best advice.

One extra point to bear in mind is that if you are not joining the ship in the Med, but are sailing TO the Med from, say, Southampton, Amsterdam etc, then to get there you have to cross the Bay of Biscay, which, even in summer, can be a nightmare.

We have crossed it 4 times now, and only once was it calm (left Southampton in hot, calm weather; two days of cold, wet, and rough seas crossing the Bay, sailed into hot calm waters at Gibraltar)