Travel notice for credit card

bjfitz0703

Online I provide travel notice for my credit card as one time it didn't work when I went to Florida.  I am leaving on the Sunrise on June 24th.  Goes to Bermuda and Grand Turk out of NY.  For the credit card aligned to your sail and sign does anyone one know what "state" or country the charges on your card gets aligned with?  So far I have told them: NY; Florida; Bermuda and Turks.  Picked Fla as well as Carnival seems centric to FLA. Thanks for the thoughts.  

Florida for sure.  I had an issue where I gave the CC company everywhere I was going but Florida.  Of course when Carnival ran the card the last day, it was declined because I did not include Florida.  I had to call once in port and have them take the hold off so that Carnival could charge the card.

Edited by Cruiseman38

10 minutes ago, coevan said:

Capital One said with the new chip cards they do not need travel notices anymore

Confirmed, but they can and sometimes do decline a charge if it's outside your normal spending pattern.* They send an email for you to approve, and once you do, the merchant can immediately re-run the charge and it will go through. But if you don't have a WiFi plan on board, that won't do you much good.

* Source: I used my Venture card for a week's worth of vacation spend in December, no problem, but when I tried to buy a $$$ leather jacket in the Cancun airport on the way home, it bounced.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, coevan said:

I use a Venture card as well, I have received a text asking me if the current charge was authorized and I text back yes.

These seem kind of random, but I've never had an issue either. I never notify them that I'm going. I guess it doesn't hurt though.

I don't notify them if I am just using the card on the ship!!

That is not a foreign country where they really need to know you might be using the card.

IF you used the card to pay for the cruise they know you are going.

I think it is best to call and give them all the places you will be. Or, I know with Amex you can chat online and also let them know all the places you will be. better safe than sorry

We once had to call in Vienna when we had been told that a charge had been denied. It turned out it had not since they knew where we were. But since we did not get into the museum where told that it had been denied, we got the charge deleted.

Most companies, if you have a chip card, only want notification if you are traveling out of the country.  Both of my major credit cards are this way so I only put on there if I leave the country.  Traveling anywhere within the US I have no issues.

I figure if I'm going to be submitting a "travel notice," I'm going to give them everywhere I'll be.  Just in case.

All my cards are now chip cards and I haven't had any of them come back and say, "oh, you don't need to do this any longer."

If I'm just traveling within the states, I don't, because they can text or email me, but if I'm going to be on a ship with no phone service (and usually don't have wi-fi so no email),  I let them know I'm travelling.

My AMEX cards say I no longer need to notify them of travel plans.  But my USAA cards want to know,  not just the out of country...I once had a charge refused because I was in Alaska.  Wells Fargo debit card wants to know...EM

20 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

My AMEX cards say I no longer need to notify them of travel plans.  But my USAA cards want to know,  not just the out of country...I once had a charge refused because I was in Alaska.  Wells Fargo debit card wants to know...EM

Yeah, different banks all have different rules. I don't think any one policy is right or wrong, but it's good to know what the policy is for the card you want to use, and act accordingly. (And take a backup if you can, just in case!)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I think it is best to call and give them all the places you will be. Or, I know with Amex you can chat online and also let them know all the places you will be. better safe than sorry

We once had to call in Vienna when we had been told that a charge had been denied. It turned out it had not since they knew where we were. But since we did not get into the museum where told that it had been denied, we got the charge deleted.

Amex doesn’t need you to inform them of your travels anymore. In fact, the past few times, they asked me not to as they’re able to decipher which charges are legitimate and which ones are not when traveling.

I still fill out the online form with Chase though as it only takes a minute to complete.

Edited by xDisconnections

12 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Amex doesn’t need you to inform them of your travels anymore. In fact, the past few times, they asked me not to as they’re able to decipher which charges are legitimate and which ones are not when traveling.

I still fill out the online form with Chase though as it only takes a minute to complete.

I did once get an e-mail from AMEX that I did not have to inform them since I had booked the travel (I believe a cruise) with them so they knew where we would be. 

This summer we are doing a land trip to Peru. I booked the deposit with AMEX, but made a final payment by check since that option gave us a 5% discount. I do intend to call them to let them know. (And since a lot of places, especially outside the USA, do not take AMEX, I will inform the other company also.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

I did once get an e-mail from AMEX that I did not have to inform them since I had booked the travel (I believe a cruise) with them so they knew where we would be. 

This summer we are doing a land trip to Peru. I booked the deposit with AMEX, but made a final payment by check since that option gave us a 5% discount. I do intend to call them to let them know. (And since a lot of places, especially outside the USA, do not take AMEX, I will inform the other company also.

They are getting better internationally though and it’s become accepted in more places. It’s that interchange fee these merchants don’t want to pay.

I’d probably take the 5% loss to keep it on the card and earn points.

43 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

They are getting better internationally though and it’s become accepted in more places. It’s that interchange fee these merchants don’t want to pay.

I’d probably take the 5% loss to keep it on the card and earn points.

As opposed to the 5% off, I would have earned 1% if I used my AMEX everyday blue card.

With Capital One, I call even though they say it's not required with the chip.  The reason is, I don't purchase wifi on the ship, so a text to accept/decline charges wouldn't work for me while I was on the ship.  When I tell them a cruise, they usually ask where it is leaving from- I've only cruised out of Florida, so that covers Carnival charges. 

I have never notified my credit card company that I was going on a cruise and have sailed from 10 different home ports and I have never had a problem.  I have also used a credit card in a port only once and that was in the US Virgin Islands.

2 hours ago, jimbri said:

I called my credit card company.  I told them the countries and that I was going to be on a cruise.  They asked for the cruise line and ship.

that's odd, why would they care about the name of a ship. 

20 minutes ago, coevan said:

that's odd, why would they care about the name of a ship. 

Princess posts their onboard charges as the ship name. Perhaps the agent he spoke with was only trying to better accommodate him based on his financial institution’s standard operating procedures?

• Like 1

We generally call our CC company and inform them anytime we are traveling more than a few hundred miles from home. 

We absolutely do this for sure on cruises, because *IF* there was an issue, and they texted us, we might not get the text right away.