Will I like Pacific Princess??

Clampram

1 hour ago, Clampram said:

Looks like the minisuites are bigger than the newer ships??

Yes. This ship was not built by Princess but Renaissance Cruise lines. So the Princess model of the shrinking rooms was not applied.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Clampram said:

This one is important for us.........we like to watch movies late at night and it looks like the TV in the minisuite is way up in a corner, tell me I'm wrong!

If memory serves correctly, the Pacific Princess tv in our stateroom didn't get much use, we sailed July of 2017.  Reason being that I don't think they had movies on demand like they do on the Regal and Royal--which is fantastic and the way it should be.   Maybe Chamima could remember better?  (Or someone who has sailed more recently than I.)   Maybe that's why the Pacific has such a big library?  😉  

18 hours ago, Jezabel2924 said:

Glad to see you enjoyed the aft facing balcony.  We are in one from Dover in 5 weeks and very much looking forward to it!

Yay!!  I'm excited for you!  We were in 6093, loved the big balcony!

42 minutes ago, Triptkr said:

Yay!!  I'm excited for you!  We were in 6093, loved the big balcony!

That's the one we have booked!  We did the BVE in San Pedro last month and got to peek in the cabin.  I know we will love it.

4 hours ago, LoriPhil said:

Are there 2 TVs in the refurbished PACIFIC minis?  It's referenced as a feature on the Princess website description for these cabins, but I haven't seen it in the new photos.  THANKS!

4 hours ago, Clampram said:

This one is important for us.........we like to watch movies late at night and it looks like the TV in the minisuite is way up in a corner, tell me I'm wrong!

The  ONE  TV in the minisuite is up in the cabinet on the side wall as pictured.

(If you go to Princess.com and click on Pacific Princess mini suite it only mentions one television. The other ship's mini suites have a different cabin configuration allowing for the two televisions)

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/pa-pacific-princess/

We don't watch movies in the cabin, just the news while we're changing clothes, so it didn't bother us.

My only suggestion for you is to maybe bring some kind of electronic device with downloaded movies to watch in bed.

As Triptkr said - they don't have movies on demand.

This is a VERY different ship and experience than what you will have on the Royal, Regal, etc.

image.png.a6e2b1cf04e798c41c7fc2aca396d5f9.png

Edited by chamima
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Clampram said:

So these pix from the Ocean Princess would be the same on the PP in a minisuite??

Yes except as another poster has said, the PA (that's the actual Princess designation for the current Pacific Princess, not PP) was renovated in June of 2017 and has updated decor and furniture. It's much lighter, not do dark. Also has USB outlets in the nightstand lamp bases.

On 6/17/2019 at 3:24 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

On the Oceania R-class ships up at the buffet, they have a partially covered outdoor area with about 20 tables where you can sit outside and eat. Is there such an area up at the Pacific's buffet?

Yes.  It's still there.  One of my fondest memories is eating dinner after embarkation in Honolulu before setting off for Tahiti.  It was just beautiful.  Contrast that to the Panama Canal Cruise in May. . .there was significant rain and when it wasn't raining, it was hot unless you could sit in the covered area.  It was a great place to hang out while going through the Canal, though.  

• Like 1

On 6/18/2019 at 10:24 AM, Clampram said:

Thanks everyone for your input to my question. I think that I might like the Princess as I miss the smaller cruise ships of the 70s and 80s. Not worried about glitzy shows or certainly that ubiquitous Effy jewelry.

I see that all of the minisuites on the PP are under common areas........is there a noise issue in those minisuites?

I always book balcony cabins on this ship because they are sandwiched between other passenger decks.  My husband was displeased by the size of the balcony cabin in May.  Surprised me no end.  They are adequate.  It's nice that they have another side chair besides the desk chair.  

We are not immune to mal-de-mer.  Even so, we've taken several cruises on R-Class ships and have not noticed the motion, even on the way from Hawaii to Tahiti.  We've had worse motion on a transatlantic and on a Panama Canal Cruise on the Coral Princess.  You will be up close and personal to tugs and bunker ships if you are in the aft part of the ship.  I woke up to noise outside the cabin in the morning, threw back the curtains, and found a tug nearly under our cabin. The second picture is bunkering fuel while docked in Aruba.

IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

11 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Yes. This ship was not built by Princess but Renaissance Cruise lines. So the Princess model of the shrinking rooms was not applied.

I don’t understand the comments saying Pacific has larger rooms. The mini suites are 319 sq ft on Pacific while Grand class are 323 and Royal Class seems to run 319-329. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel

20 hours ago, chamima said:

I don't know about actual square footage but the mini suites on the Pacific (and her sister ships) are pretty much square cabins so they appear to be bigger and feel much bigger when occupying them.

My picture is distorted. I only posted it to show the table and chairs.

sajlm045's pictures are much more accurate as to size.

7 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I don’t understand the comments saying Pacific has larger rooms. The mini suites are 319 sq ft on Pacific while Grand class are 323 and Royal Class seems to run 319-329. 

If you read my post I said APPEAR to be bigger. There is more usable space.

We've sailed in minisuites on the Grand Class and the Pacific.

The square configuration of the cabins on the Pacific FEEL much larger than the long thin configuration on the Grand class.

However - if we were using the sofa and the extra space for a third or fourth person the long, thin configuration would probably offer more privacy.

• Like 1

Thanks to all for your input. I read and read and read about Pacific Princess so I feel lots more informed and I don't think that I want to do a long cruise on it.I think we would both love the smallness of it but the TV set up and the food choices just fell short for us. I think I would like to try something shorter on it maybe out of FLL.

We are now looking at a R/T to Hawaii from San Diego on HAL for 17 days in late 2020.

Was on the Pacific June 2017 for 18 days from FLL to Dover and there were lots of sea days. She had just gotten out of dry dock.  The food court was remodeled and it was easy to navigate. New awesome bedding. New sound in the theater. As with her sister the Ocean (2 cruises on her), the crew, especially the captain, seem to love these small ships. Very easy to meet people. She has the best deck off the food court. We ate there for breakfast (weather permitting) every morning and it was our usual sail away location. Best library of any ship. We've never been bored on the small ship. You'll meet a lot of people who are repeat passengers. 

45 minutes ago, Aggie83 said:

Was on the Pacific June 2017 for 18 days from FLL to Dover and there were lots of sea days. She had just gotten out of dry dock.  The food court was remodeled and it was easy to navigate. New awesome bedding. New sound in the theater. As with her sister the Ocean (2 cruises on her), the crew, especially the captain, seem to love these small ships. Very easy to meet people. She has the best deck off the food court. We ate there for breakfast (weather permitting) every morning and it was our usual sail away location. Best library of any ship. We've never been bored on the small ship. You'll meet a lot of people who are repeat passengers. 

Do you know if there was a shower curtain or glass door on the shower in either the oceanviews or the verandas after dry dock?

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Do you know if there was a shower curtain or glass door on the shower in either the oceanviews or the verandas after dry dock?

Curtain for our aft balcony room.

My favorite ships are the Royal, Regal, and Emerald. I love all the amenities of the big ships. My hubby, on the other hand, is all about the ports, so he picked a Pacific Princess Caribbean cruise for us a few years ago. I was in shock day 1 about how miniature everything was, but then I got used to it. I was flat on my back sea sick the first 2 days, which never happens to me on big ships, but then I got my sea legs (and wore the sea bands) the rest of the cruise. We are going back on this ship because of the itinerary. For a Hawaii cruise, it really wouldn’t be my pick due to the number of sea days, but if it’s the right itinerary for you, don’t worry. It’ll be fine. 

On 6/17/2019 at 7:13 PM, DrivesLikeMario said:

Personally, I love the PP but 4 of my friends recently did a 30 day cruise on it and hated the ship.  They're used to bigger ships with more to do.  I guess they were really tossed around a lot, had flooding issues in the bow of the ship and really disliked the way they do the buffet at dinner time.  They said there were very limited choices and not at all what they wanted in a buffet for dinner.  Everyone is different so really take all of the posts into consideration with YOUR personal expectations. 

This was our experience as well.  We did a 16 day Tahiti/Hawaii cruise on PP.  We were bored to tears on sea days because there was nothing to do except the same "check your feet, etc." seminar stuff in the spa every day.  We really missed not having an atrium, and I had some serious sea sickness issues.  I would not sail on her again, but we are glad we tried it out.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2019 at 10:36 AM, donaldsc said:

I like the R class ships.  As far as I am concerned, any ship with more than 1000 or so passengers on it is a behemoth.  However, since we have no idea of the likes and dislikes of the OP,  none of us can answer their question.  

DON

Yep it all ends up at personal tastes. I don’t need, or even want around the clock activities and entertainment I want to meet people and have quiet alone time with Mrs Gut