Symphony, Jr Suite, dining in Coastal Kitchen

My strategy (if you can call it one) is to hit up the concierge in the SL or whomever is working the entrance podium in CK first thing when I get on board and ask them to book me a dinner reservation for all nights at 7PM.  If I decide to do a specialty restaurant, I'll call them in the morning to give up my CK reservation.

In all honesty though, I've never had a problem getting seated at CK, even as a walk-in with no reservations.  Maybe I've just been lucky, but CK and the SL on Allure and Oasis have never had crowding issues on any sailing I've been on.  Oh sure, there's the occasional pack of flair-encrusted Pineapples, but they're just kinda hilarious.

13 minutes ago, mk-ultra said:

LOL.  Yep.  I assume it's either borked or there's some sort of limit on how far out I can reserve and the error message is just vague.

Yeah, I see that quite a bit in my field, programmers that are either lazy or are not given the time to create useful error messages for each unusual condition.

18 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I thought the Concierge can make them for you before you sail

You will get an email from SL concierge around 5-6 days before sail date.  Simply reply and ask for your desired reservation time for dining in CK.  Very easy peasy...enjoy!  🙂 

21 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I thought the Concierge can make them for you before you sail

My luck with contacting concierges to book anything before I'm onboard has been 0%.  I always get the pre-sail concierge email, but requests sent back go into a black hole.  No reply.  No reservations.  Nada.

They've been fantastic in person once I'm onboard though.

Just now, mk-ultra said:

My luck with contacting concierges to book anything before I'm onboard has been 0%.  I always get the pre-sail concierge email, but requests sent back go into a black hole.  No reply.  No reservations.  Nada.

That's strange.  Whenever I replied with requests to that email from SL on Oasis, I always received a prompt response.  🤔

1 minute ago, island lady said:

That's strange.  Whenever I replied with requests to that email from SL on Oasis, I always received a prompt response.  🤔

I'll give it another shot.  It's been 2x on Oasis and 1x on Allure that I didn't get a response.  My request was actually the same I'd make in person.  "Can you reserve me a seat in Coastal Kitchen for 7PM each night, please?"

I'll try it again for my September cruise.  I don't think it's a problem with the concierges themselves.  They've all been super-helpful. 

11 minutes ago, island lady said:

You will get an email from SL concierge around 5-6 days before sail date.  Simply reply and ask for your desired reservation time for dining in CK.  Very easy peasy...enjoy!  🙂 

That's what happened last year when we were in a GS on the Allure  Got the email and make ressies for the entire week at CL-K  no problems

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

Can't wait until August when we can become DPSP (Diamond Plus Suite peeps) 😇 for a week

Looking forward to being SCPP (STAR Class Pinnacle peeps) on Allure in March.

12 days of having red towels placed all over the ship for us. 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

NSPP is not my term. I’ve never said P’s shouldn’t have access to the SL/CK. I have suggested limiting the quantity of P’s on certain heavy cruises. I have suggested P’s should have their own area. On Celebrity, the highest status doesn’t have access to the Full Suite area unless they are in a Full Suite. I don’t recall the names of those Lounges/Restaurant. 

Since the number of suite guests far out numbers the number of Pinnacles onboard (with a couple of exceptions noted) how about limiting the number of suite guests allowed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Retired LEO said:

Since the number of suite guests far out numbers the number of Pinnacles onboard (with a couple of exceptions noted) how about limiting the number of suite guests allowed.

I think that would be difficult for Royal to market their Suites at the normal prices they charge. Not a good business model. I’m sure most P’s would be in favor. 

In my opinion. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

There are about 350 potential suite passengers on any given sailing. More in summer and holidays.  So yes, it can fill up quickly. 

I didn't know that there were that many.  I don't tend to sail on the ships with the CK and have never eaten there...perhaps the CKs are too small, perhaps they should be capacity controlled.....I don’t  know the answer.  Unless Royal changes the policies, nothing is going to change. 

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Aren't you just coming back to Royal Caribbean after not sailing for a few years?  Things are not first come first served everywhere.  Star class passengers can request a specific seat and a red cloth is put over that seat in the venue.  Some have even seen this in the Schooner Bar, I haven't, but it has been reported.  In other venues, The Key has a section just for them as do suites and diamond plus and pinnacle.  Coastal Kitchen staff does give seating preference to certain parties.  Have experienced it on Oasis way more than Anthem.  We had very poor service from one maitre'd in Coastal Kitchen on Oasis, though I have seen others say how marvelous this individual was to pinnacles.  There is an issue that needs to be addressed whether some can see it or not.

No, I sailed B2B Baltics last year, and am sailing again this year and have 5 more booked over the next 2 yrs.......but I don't buy into the special treatment cabins.  I don’t  ask for favours .  I realize that certain levels receive special treatment or seating and good for them, I guess.  I think you’re saying that some staff show favouritism towards a certain level or certain people.  That happens in any workplace.  My bone to pick is that if someone is allowed in a venue, then others shouldn’t complain because ‘they’ got in and the complainer didn’t.  Why does a suite occupant seem to expect a P to step aside?  But its a moot point, a useless discussion.  There are far more interesting things to talk about. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

My bone to pick is that if someone is allowed in a venue, then others shouldn’t complain because ‘they’ got in and the complainer didn’t.  Why does a suite occupant seem to expect a P to step aside?  But its a moot point, a useless discussion.  There are far more interesting things to talk about. 

There's only a couple of people on here that has an issue with certain people. Most understand and don't have a problem with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mk-ultra said:

Thats because they’re waiting to see your flair-encrusted hilariousness in person!!  😂😂.  LOL

25 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

I didn't know that there were that many.  I don't tend to sail on the ships with the CK and have never eaten there...perhaps the CKs are too small, perhaps they should be capacity controlled.....I don’t  know the answer.  Unless Royal changes the policies, nothing is going to change. 

250 + 50 STAR is likely the average. 340 and 70 is full capacity

8 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

No, I sailed B2B Baltics last year, and am sailing again this year and have 5 more booked over the next 2 yrs.......but I don't buy into the special treatment cabins.  I don’t  ask for favours .  I realize that certain levels receive special treatment or seating and good for them, I guess.  I think you’re saying that some staff show favouritism towards a certain level or certain people.  That happens in any workplace.  My bone to pick is that if someone is allowed in a venue, then others shouldn’t complain because ‘they’ got in and the complainer didn’t.  Why does a suite occupant seem to expect a P to step aside?  But its a moot point, a useless discussion.  There are far more interesting things to talk about. 

The discussion is about Coastal Kitchen and people are sharing their experiences.  If you find the discussion useless, move on.  There are too many people that have access to Coastal Kitchen and it is only going to get worse.  The cruise line needs to address the issue.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

Love the Baltics and Northern Europe. 

Twice in two years. Loved Tallin

1 minute ago, reallyitsmema said:

The discussion is about Coastal Kitchen and people are sharing their experiences.  If you find the discussion useless, move on.  There are too many people that have access to Coastal Kitchen and it is only going to get worse.  The cruise line needs to address the issue.

Unfortunately,  I see JS being dropped. 

And it's really not that bad most of the time, but I can see it getting worse. Especially on the good menu nights. 

Easiest fix is to go back to 2 menus.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Unfortunately,  I see JS being dropped. 

And it's really not that bad most of the time, but I can see it getting worse. Especially on the good menu nights. 

Easiest fix is to go back to 2 menus.

Dropping JS might be the solution.  Not sure a menu change will make much difference.  We like all the menus except one and even on that one, we have plenty to choose from.

26 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Dropping JS might be the solution.  Not sure a menu change will make much difference.  We like all the menus except one and even on that one, we have plenty to choose from.

Would you go every night if the menu didn't change every night?

I dislike 3 of the menus as it is. So you can have my seat. 

I'd be very surprised if a JS passenger could get a good slot on fillet or lobster night

The original concept only had two menus, Royal didn't expect folks to eat there every night. 

With the two menus original menus we'd eat there probably 4 times, so it wouldn't change much for us.

Edited by John&LaLa

33 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

The discussion started way back with someone not wanting so many Ps being let into CK.  It was their dislike of that!   So you move on, no one was discussing their experiences.  We were discussing the policy.  Which is useless to discuss because we don't make it nor change it. People only complain about it.....   What makes you think you can tell me to move on??  Don’t bother answering, I’m not interested in knowing.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Would you go every night if the menu didn't change every night?

I dislike 3 of the menus as it is. So you can have my seat. 

I'd be very surprised if a JS passenger could get a good slot on fillet or lobster night

The original concept only had two menus, Royal didn't expect folks to eat there every night. 

With the two menus original menus we'd eat there probably 4 times, so it wouldn't change much for us.

We might go every night, it really depends on the itinerary and ship.  When we have late port days, we tend to eat in the WJ for dinner.  We have really enjoyed CK on Anthem and have had no issue getting our requested time on any night when we were in a JS.  We always sail September/October timeframe and will likely not sail from Port Canaveral because we know that CK and the SL are full in those months.  Only a can't miss deal will have us sailing from there.  We enjoy CK for breakfast and lunch though, so that does drive us to want to book a full suite.  Might just have to keep sailing Anthem.

5 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

The discussion started way back with someone not wanting so many Ps being let into CK.  It was their dislike of that!   So you move on, no one was discussing their experiences.  We were discussing the policy.  Which is useless to discuss because we don't make it nor change it. People only complain about it.....   What makes you think you can tell me to move on??  Don’t bother answering, I’m not interested in knowing.  

Sounds like you could use a vacation.  Give Harmony a try and let us know what you think of Coastal Kitchen.