Italian Cellar Master Dinner

vinonme2

Would like to hear experiences anyone has had with the Italian Cellar Master Dinner offered for $69. per person.

Was the food offered different from what is on the Canaletto menu? Were different Italian wines offered with each course?

Did the cellar master give a talk before each course?  Did you enjoy it?  Did you think it was worth it? 

I'm considering booking it for an upcoming cruise and would appreciate any and all feedback.

Thank you,
Gloria

3 hours ago, vinonme2 said:

Would like to hear experiences anyone has had with the Italian Cellar Master Dinner offered for $69. per person.

Was the food offered different from what is on the Canaletto menu? Were different Italian wines offered with each course?

Did the cellar master give a talk before each course?  Did you enjoy it?  Did you think it was worth it? 

I'm considering booking it for an upcoming cruise and would appreciate any and all feedback

We did a Cellarmaster Dinner, though it was not an Italian one.  The menu was completely different from anything else offered on the ship.  The cellar master did speak before each course, describing the wine, the region, a few anecdotes ..... we had a FABULOUS time and would do it again any time it was offered. Yes each course had a different wine.

If you see it online available to book, book it, then once onboard you can review the menu and if it is not something that appeals, you should be able to cancel.  Also, if the event is online now, they MAY put a menu online before sailing date.

We have done a few Cellar Master Wine dinners.  None were ever called Italian Cellar Master Wine dinner.

The food was different than any other meal prepared in a specialty restaurant or the main dining room.  It was excellent.  Wines were all different with each course.  And yes the Cellar Master described each wine.

• Like 3

Thank you for sharing your positive experiences and comments.  Feedback from people who have actually done a cellar master dinner is appreciated and valued. I especially liked reading that there was a little talk about the wines, region, etc. 

There is no menu shown on line but since I like just about all Italian food, I've decided to book it and I am happily looking forward to an enjoyable dinner.

Gloria 

18 minutes ago, vinonme2 said:

Thank you for sharing your positive experiences and comments.  Feedback from people who have actually done a cellar master dinner is appreciated and valued. I especially liked reading that there was a little talk about the wines, region, etc. 

There is no menu shown on line but since I like just about all Italian food, I've decided to book it and I am happily looking forward to an enjoyable dinner.

Gloria 

Hopefully, it's more than minestrone, a pasta in some cream sauce, some meat in some sauce, cannoli, with  Pinot Grigio, Barolo and a Grappa to finish!   Now, if they had a Brunello, I wouldn't care what I was served, just bring me the bottle 😉

Did the Italian Cellar Master dinner on the Volendam. It was held in the Canaletto. Italian wines were offered. A spritzer to begin, 3 reds ( Pinot, Barolo and yes Grappo) ended with a prosecco. It was 5 courses. Really nothing special IMO. The main course was Veal Sampico which you can order in the Canaletto. For the money charged i felt it was way overpriced.

We enjoyed the Cellar Master in the PG. 

Edited by freestyling
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

We have done a few Cellar Master Wine dinners.  None were ever called Italian Cellar Master Wine dinner.

Hi KK,

When was the last time you cruised? I know your DH has had health issues as well as your need of a rollator. 

8 hours ago, vinonme2 said:

Yes.  Pull up your booking and go to Dining.  

That’s very new Gloria.

We’ve always had to book them on board in the past (as recent as May this year).  Love that they are showing when they are planned for now.

We traditionally go to every Cellar Master dinner.  

The food is different and normally very good.  The Cellar Master does speak on the wines and why he/she chose them to go with the food.

We’ve always enjoyed those evenings and hope you do too.

12 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Hopefully, it's more than minestrone, a pasta in some cream sauce, some meat in some sauce, cannoli, with  Pinot Grigio, Barolo and a Grappa to finish!   Now, if they had a Brunello, I wouldn't care what I was served, just bring me the bottle 😉

Actually that sounds pretty good to me and I'd never, ever turn down a Barolo!

1 hour ago, kazu said:

That’s very new Gloria.

We’ve always had to book them on board in the past (as recent as May this year).  Love that they are showing when they are planned for now.

We traditionally go to every Cellar Master dinner.  

The food is different and normally very good.  The Cellar Master does speak on the wines and why he/she chose them to go with the food.

We’ve always enjoyed those evenings and hope you do too.

Hi Jacqui,

Thanks for the great feedback; I'm looking forward to the dinner. It's always nice to try different meal offerings and I especially like that there are explanations on the wine and food pairings as I find that interesting and enjoyable. It sounds like a relaxing and fun dinner.

Does the Mariner discount apply for the cellar master dinners? Are the tables still the usual set up or are they arranged more in a group mode? 

Gloria

The Mariners discount does apply. The tables are not setup as a group. You can visit the Canaletto before your dinner and request a table if you have a preference. Your able to book this dinner on line due to the fact that it is located in the Canaletto and normal Canaletto reservations are not accepted for the evening that the Italian Cellar Master dinner is offered. Please let us know how you like it upon returning.

Edited by freestyling

4 hours ago, vinonme2 said:

Actually that sounds pretty good to me and I'd never, ever turn down a Barolo!

I won't turn down a Barolo either.  But, I'd much rather have that Brunello!!!    I like grappa, too.   I'm just not a Pinot Grigio fan (even though I have a former colleague who has a PG wine he produces in the Trentino).   I'd rather have a Fruili if it was a white offered..

Whatever the food and wine, enjoy the dinner!  Let us know what was offered.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, vinonme2 said:

I'm considering booking it for an upcoming cruise and would appreciate any and all feedback.

Thank you,
Gloria

If you don't drink, is the dinner worthwhile?

5 hours ago, freestyling said:

The Mariners discount does apply. The tables are not setup as a group. You can visit the Canaletto before your dinner and request a table if you have a preference. Your able to book this dinner on line due to the fact that it is located in the Canaletto and normal Canaletto reservations are not accepted for the evening that the Italian Cellar Master dinner is offered. Please let us know how you like it upon returning.

Thank you for your response, I'm learning more and more about these dinners. 

I will be on the  Oct. 31st. Koningsdam T/A so although it will be a while, I will post about the dinner when I return home. 

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

I won't turn down a Barolo either.  But, I'd much rather have that Brunello!!!    I like grappa, too.   I'm just not a Pinot Grigio fan (even though I have a former colleague who has a PG wine he produces in the Trentino).   I'd rather have a Fruili if it was a white offered..

Whatever the food and wine, enjoy the dinner!  Let us know what was offered.

Except for me even liking Pinot Grigios, you sound like we might be sisters! 

Thanks for your good wishes and  when I return home I will do a post about my dinner experience. 

I have enjoyed the Cellar Master Dinners on a few cruises, but not a specifically Italian one.  Several courses with the Cellar Master and/or the Chef discussing the course being served and the accompanying wine.  It's entertaining, informative, and dining with like-minded guests is part of my enjoyment.  A lot of food and wine is served during the evening.  If you have diminished stomach capacity as I now do (thanks to being a Senior Citizen), I'd suggest you try not to consume all of any course and wine served to prevent having a "really stuffed" feeling.

Strange, as on the TA we will be well away from Italy!  We always go to the Cellar Master Dinners and on our last cruise the Canaletto had two specialty dinners, one was called La Dolce Vita and the other was Mamma Mia!, and they were very good, but I don't think there was an additional cost over the regular Canaletto surcharge.  I think we got our Mariner discount.  The Cellar Master Dinner was in the Pinnacle, with no Mariner discount, as the wine was included in the price, although one member of our party did not drink, and I think she got a reduced price for that reason.

• Like 1

There seems to be a lot of misinformation. There is no Italian cellar master dinner held in Canaletto. The cellar master dinner is always held in the Pinnacle Grill with a unique menu, accompanied by a different wine each course, different from the regular PG menu. The sommelier described the wine accompanying each course. I will try to add the Cellar master menu for all to see. This menu is from a couple of years ago, but will give you an idea of the types of courses offered and the wines. We are 4 star mariners and the discount doess not apply to this dinner. In our opinion, it is well worth the money.

1561423906210-355443371.jpg