Class cruising has returned

dcruiser50

2 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

If it is in fact true that the front of the ship on the GEM is now closed off to non-Haven pax, there would be literally no way to research that. NCL made no announcement about it, and there have been no changes to the deck plans (the private Sundeck the haven ALREADY HAD is labeled "private sundeck", but the forward area is just labeled "sundeck"). 

This is literally a deal breaker for me ever booking the Gem again, and if I'd not read about this HUGE change on these message boards I'd have had absolutely no idea. 

I agree with these boards being a valuable research tool.  That’s why I said what I did.  Before I make any larger purchase I research the internet for any information and/or reviews about what I am looking to purchase.  To me that is what cruise critic is for cruises.  My cruises are months to years apart on different lines and I always expect something to have changed since the last time even on the same ship.  Cruise lines are constantly making changes.  Sometimes I don’t catch all of the changes that have happened, but I usually catch most and learn from experience the ones I miss.  

Still waiting for a recent Gem cruiser to please confirm this. 

On Deck plans for other Jewel-class ships, that little tiny upper sundeck on Deck 15 is now labeled a "Haven sundeck." There would be no way to limit access to that little sundeck without also limiting access to the Deck 14 forward area that you use to get up to that little platform. 

I can't re-iterate how disgusting this is. The deck 14 forward areas on Jewel class ships are rarely crowded. To take that away from general pax, when the Haven (which is tiny on Jewel ships) ALREADY HAD THEIR OWN SUNDECK is just beyond the pail. 

8 hours ago, FitchburgWIFamily said:

And I can’t tell you how many times I have heard about the bar outside the Vibe or the hot tub out side the Vibe being under-utilized: it shows up on tips about the ship all the time.   You know what else shows up all the time?  People lamenting not being able to get Vibe passes.

I believe the reason this bar is underutilized is because regular passengers have no way to know it's there. It's not on the ship map, it's not on the sign pointing towards vibe that there is a public bar there. I don't think expanding vibe into this area is near as bad as what they are doing with Encore. 

The doubling in price of vibe is pretty recent. I'm curious what anyones experience getting vibe passes has been since. $100 a pop it was a race that sold out, at $200 is it still a race or come midway through the cruise are they still not sold? Those of you getting passes for the more expensive vibe, are there the same amount of people there as before? 

17 hours ago, boatseller said:

What bothers me most about these posts is the trivialization of terms like "class" and "segregation".

We don't live in a cast system and no one is forced to the 'back of the bus'.

The only differentiator is the money you pay, which is a choice everyone can make (yes, some easier than other, so just don't).

And it goes both ways.  I can afford The Haven, but have no desire to because everything I like about cruising happens outside the bubble.  Even sitting on my balcony, I get terrible FOMO.  I get what I pay for and don't get what I'm not willing to pay for.  Everyone's happy.

If you don't think the class system is based on money you don't know the class system

17 hours ago, Warm Breezes said:

I'm not complaining because they are complaining.  I am honestly confused on why someone would waste their time complaining about a company, which has no personal loyalty to you, making a business decision based on their marketing research and bottom line.  It is not personal.    I get that they are changing something that some people like.  Some people will hate that decision and some people will love that decision and some, like me in this case, are not affected either way.  That happens with every business decision they make.  No business can please every person all the time.  Not possible.  They need to make their decision based on their market research and bottom line.

The difference between me and some of the other posters in this thread (and I am not complaining about them but I am expressing my honest confusion about them since I literally can not think that way) is that I don't take these business decisions personally and if I don't like the changes made then I will not waste my time constantly complaining and getting myself worked up and upset about it.  I have too many other choices out there.  It is up to me to find something that meets my wants.  It's not like there aren't a ton of other options out there in the cruise industry and NCL is the only company that sells that type of product.  I don't understand getting myself so worked up and upset about things like this.  IMHO there are so many bigger things in this life to get upset about.  I've had to live through many of them.  A business decision by a company to change their product is not one of them.

It makes no sense to me why people complain about people complaining.

Unless of course you're me who is complaining about someone complaining about someone complaining about someone complaining

1 hour ago, tjt87 said:

If you don't think the class system is based on money you don't know the class system

Not really correct anymore.

Earlier the "working class" (I'm not really sure what to call it in English, I just translated from Swedish and hope that other understand what I mean.) had a low income but now many of them have much higher income than many which earlier were considered belonging to a "higher" class.

3 hours ago, tjt87 said:

It makes no sense to me why people complain about people complaining.

Unless of course you're me who is complaining about someone complaining about someone complaining about someone complaining

And the beat goes on.

23 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

If NCL wants me to start looking at the Anthem of the Seas across the Hudson (which I hadn't previously because of loyalty to NCL) I'm happy to oblige them. 

And once Frank Del Rio runs off people like me, he'll be sailing verrrry empty and verrry big ships once the economy crashes ant the Instagram Millennials he has such an ephemeral fetish for stop cruising en masse. 

so far they are not sailing anywhere near empty and if you read other boards you will see similar complaints. People are not as open to change as we think we are. If you do decide to look elsewhere no problem. That is why we have so many choices. What works for one doesn't work for all. BTW, if the economy crashes not only NCL will suffer, so will other lines. All we can do is hope it doesn't happen. More than hurting the travel industry it would hurt many people and I, for one would hate to see that happen to my friends and family. 

It seems to me, FDR has been in the reins for a couple of years now and so many seem to think he is going to cause the brand to go down the tubes (no pun intended) tell us, has it happened yet? No, the company keeps growing and the stocks is doing as well, if not better than other mass marketed lines. I guess, like it or not, someone at the top knows what they are doing. 

11 hours ago, Warm Breezes said:

Before I make any larger purchase I research the internet for any information and/or reviews about what I am looking to purchase.

That sounds wise. However you do your research, make your purchase then they change it on you after. Getaway and if it is true, Gem customers researched/booked/paid before the changes. How is it the customers fault they didn't anticipate a new pay wall installation between ticket purchase and sail date?

11 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

Still waiting for a recent Gem cruiser to please confirm this. 

On Deck plans for other Jewel-class ships, that little tiny upper sundeck on Deck 15 is now labeled a "Haven sundeck." There would be no way to limit access to that little sundeck without also limiting access to the Deck 14 forward area that you use to get up to that little platform. 

I can't re-iterate how disgusting this is. The deck 14 forward areas on Jewel class ships are rarely crowded. To take that away from general pax, when the Haven (which is tiny on Jewel ships) ALREADY HAD THEIR OWN SUNDECK is just beyond the pail. 

I too am hoping to hear an update from recent Gem cruisers......The Jewel class have always been my favorite ships.  Will I cancel my cruises, no but I will be truly disappointed if this is all true.  Makes me happy I have aft balconies booked also.

Edited by TSUmom

28 minutes ago, TSUmom said:

I too am hoping to hear an update from recent Gem cruisers......The Jewel class have always been my favorite ships.  Will I cancel my cruises, no but I will be truly disappointed if this is all true.  Makes me happy I have aft balconies booked also.

I'll cancel. People often ask, "Where is you red line REALLY?"

Right here. 

8 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

I'll cancel. People often ask, "Where is you red line REALLY?"

Right here. 

The thing I don't understand and maybe things have changed but I have cruised in the Haven a few times and also have had Vibe passes and to me both were never crowded.  We always found loungers, the hot tubs were never full, the bars were not crowded and the Haven dining room was only busy during breakfast.  I know it has been a few years but still.....

36 minutes ago, Wedgie23 said:

That sounds wise. However you do your research, make your purchase then they change it on you after. Getaway and if it is true, Gem customers researched/booked/paid before the changes. How is it the customers fault they didn't anticipate a new pay wall installation between ticket purchase and sail date?

This is what is called life.  It is also the nature of the cruising business.  The one thing I have found while cruising over the last 20 years is that change is a constant with cruise lines.  Could the cruise lines handle the roll out of these changes better?  In some instances probably.  Unfortunately things like this do happen.  You can't necessarily blame the cruise line for this either because there is no way they can make any changes to their ships without affecting someone who has already purchased a cruise ticket unless they announce the changes 2 years in advance.  That's not realistic either.  I understand people having some frustration when something they love and use gets changed.  As I tell my kids Life is not always fair, nobody ever said it was.  If they did they were lying.  But when Life knocks you down, you get up and  keep moving forward.  Looking back doesn't get you anywhere.    

But let's look at this from a business perspective.  They have this area that from those who love it have said is unused by the masses.  Which makes it a perfect hideaway for them.  I'll be honest.  I never used it when I was on the Getaway.  I'm assuming the Jewel must have it too and I never used it there on either Jewel sailing I was on.  The business sees that space as underused.  They have an area next to it where they are selling that privacy at premium price with people asking for more of this.  What do you think the prudent business decision would be for them to make for their stock holders?  This is a business decision pure and simple.  They are trying to meet the demands of their customer from a supply that is underused and make a profit in the process.

I get not being happy with this decision if you are one the people who made use of that space.  But the level of anger that has been shown in some of these posts just amazes me.  I'll save my anger and my stress for the bigger issues in life.  This IMHO is not worth it.

• Like 1

I've read a lot of comments about the Vibe expanding on the Getaway but I'm seeing it a little bit different than everyone else I guess.  I was on the Getaway this past January and that upper deck space that they have expanded to the Vibe was always quite empty except for a select few who wanted to sunbathe but be away from the pool.  There isn't really anything up there except for a bar that was hardly ever open.  The current Vibe doesn't have a pool either it is basically for sunbathing.  If they expand it just so they can sell more Vibe tickets, which seem to be a hot commodity, then I actually see it freeing up more space around the pool and not making it more over-crowded. 

My 2 cents:

People will go on the reconfigured ships and will have to see then whether or not the decreased public space impacts their enjoyment of the ship.  I can absolutely see that as a possibility. 

To speak about our current experiences that the perks one group receives isn't an issue, doesn't seem relevant to me.  We have to see how this new set-up affects things.  And if it is no longer as much fun to cruise if you pay "regular" non-Haven, non-Vibe rates, people will stop cruising (or stop cruising NCL) or pony up the extra $.   I'm guessing that the company is betting on the latter.

3 hours ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

I've read a lot of comments about the Vibe expanding on the Getaway but I'm seeing it a little bit different than everyone else I guess.  I was on the Getaway this past January and that upper deck space that they have expanded to the Vibe was always quite empty except for a select few who wanted to sunbathe but be away from the pool.  There isn't really anything up there except for a bar that was hardly ever open.  The current Vibe doesn't have a pool either it is basically for sunbathing.  If they expand it just so they can sell more Vibe tickets, which seem to be a hot commodity, then I actually see it freeing up more space around the pool and not making it more over-crowded. 

That's exactly what I am getting at.  I do not get Vibe passes, nor do I spend any time on the sun deck next to Vibe or by the pool for that matter.  I get my sun fix from the waterfront and my balcony.  So I really have no game in this.  But from reading this board, many people have posted that they love this area because it is away from the masses, meaning not many people are using it.  NCL sells out of their Vibe passes and has many asking for more.  My guess is that they may even have the same or more people using that area once they make that change plus they will now be making money from it.  I personally don't think it will have any affect on the crowds at the pool.  Some posters are trying to make you think they are taking a ton of space away from people who use it.  But they admit that the reason they love it is because not many people use it.  Pure business on the part of NCL.  Taking space that admittedly few use and giving it to those who are willing to pay for it.  Pure profit on their part....and that is what they are in business for.

On 6/24/2019 at 3:20 PM, rgd1213 said:

I tend to agree with the OP....and I don't think he was calling anyone 'steerage' but just stressing a point.  My wife and I play a little game when cruising NCL...how long will it take for a person we meet to say "we are in the Haven".  Usually does not take too long (it's been as short as an elevator ride!), and my wife and I just look at each other, then our watches, and smile. :classic_biggrin:

Not uniformly true of all Haven sailors...

I have only been on 5 NCL cruises and only book inside cabins. Sure I would love to stay in a balcony or a suite but I know my financial limitations. I have never ever been made to feel like anything but a valued customer on NCL by all the staff. 

9 hours ago, the_dylaness said:

Not uniformly true of all Haven sailors...

know a lot of people who do not refer to what type of a cabin they are in, but I have seen a few people who are very impressed with themselves and want the world to know they can or think they can afford a suite. Again, certainly not every Haven resident has this attitude. 

You get what you pay for!   

I have no problem with my cruises including expensive options for other to pay.  That may mean that I can find the cruises that I want for less  $$.    We never fly first class, except rarely we get an upgrade.  No problem, I fly for a fraction of what others pay.  True, I can't sleep well in tourist, but, my budget survives and we can do more trips.

I think that this thread makes some valid points, but to compare modern cruising with passenger liners from a hundred years ago is ridiculous.  Steerage in those days has practically no similarity to modern cruising where people are served fairly good meals, drinks and entertainment.    Life is good, even in an ordinary balcony or for that matter an inside cabin.

• Like 1