Beware of the MSC Upgrade bid program

Valkyrie

12 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I do believe that you will get all YC benefits and that "shoreside" doesn't know what they are talking about but I'm not necessary correct.

I have heared about people being upgraded who didn't got the benefits, for example access to the Top Sail Lounge. (I think that was a free upgrade and that's not the same thing but it can be done.)

If they have upgraded passengers without access to the Top Sail Lounge they can ask for the cards the first day and they can probably also see the photo taken at embarkation if some people can get Into the YC but don't have all the benefits.

I can't really even fathom how this works.  You (not you personally) are in the YC, so you get to buzz yourself in, but if you walk a few steps past the corridor to your room, a butler kicks you out and says sorry, free upgrade, no top sail lounge for you!?  Or you try to venture up the stairs and are met by the pool deck staff to say NOPE?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, kodesthemoose said:

I can't really even fathom how this works.  You (not you personally) are in the YC, so you get to buzz yourself in, but if you walk a few steps past the corridor to your room, a butler kicks you out and says sorry, free upgrade, no top sail lounge for you!?  Or you try to venture up the stairs and are met by the pool deck staff to say NOPE?

That's correct from what I have heared earlier on this forum.

They said that when they went to the Top Sail Lounge they were asked for their card and when they showed them they were told that they were not allowed to use the TSL because they had been upgraded only to the cabin, not the experience. I don't remember if they tried to use the YC sundeck.

It was probably at least two years ägo I read that thread but maybe I can try to find it again.

Maybe I am missing something...but if you get none of the perks at all of being in Yacht Club...how is going from a balcony room to an inside room (with nothing else added on) an upgrade?  Let alone paying $500 for the move?  I would think the balcony room is better if everything else remains the same no? 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MrMike45 said:

Maybe I am missing something...but if you get none of the perks at all of being in Yacht Club...how is going from a balcony room to an inside room (with nothing else added on) an upgrade?  Let alone paying $500 for the move?  I would think the balcony room is better if everything else remains the same no? 

I agree with you but think that the OP will get all the perks.

11 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

That's correct from what I have heared earlier on this forum.

They said that when they went to the Top Sail Lounge they were asked for their card and when they showed them they were told that they were not allowed to use the TSL because they had been upgraded only to the cabin, not the experience. I don't remember if they tried to use the YC sundeck.

It was probably at least two years ägo I read that thread but maybe I can try to find it again.

I found the old thread! It was on page 157 so it took a while to find it!

Read the "MSC Divina upgrade to YC" thread and you will see that people have been upgraded to YC-room without getting the perks.

I still think that the OP will get everything, I just say that it can be done.

Edited by sverigecruiser

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

I found the old thread! It was on page 157 so it took a while to find it!

Well done, SC!  I tried a search for it when Nikki got upgraded because I remembered there were reports from some who'd been refused the perks.  There's no way I would have waded thru' 157 pages to find it, though!

I'd find it very strange for MSC to have people pay for an upgrade that would include the cabin only - what's the point, otherwise.  However, the wording in the email gave me pause for thought:

"With this program you will have the opportunity to submit offers to upgrade from your existing stateroom." 

It doesn't mention upgrading the 'Experience' only the cabin.  It really doesn't make sense.

1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

Well done, SC!  I tried a search for it when Nikki got upgraded because I remembered there were reports from some who'd been refused the perks.  There's no way I would have waded thru' 157 pages to find it, though!

I'd find it very strange for MSC to have people pay for an upgrade that would include the cabin only - what's the point, otherwise.  However, the wording in the email gave me pause for thought:

"With this program you will have the opportunity to submit offers to upgrade from your existing stateroom." 

It doesn't mention upgrading the 'Experience' only the cabin.  It really doesn't make sense.

I started around page 100 but it still took a while!

I'm glad to hear that MSCs program might only include cabin upgrades, not experience upgrades.

NCLs bidding program is NOT something I want to see on MSC.

If they only upgrade the cabin and not the experience they must inform the customers making the bids about it!!!

On 6/26/2019 at 4:59 PM, Valkyrie said:

"...it came with the Yacht Club experience and was told it didn't come with anything."

IMO, we are over analyzing MSC's response to OP.

Yacht Club experience as shown by MSC:  https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Discover-MSC/MSC-Yacht-Club.aspx

"...it didn't come with anything." - I'm inclined to interpret that as additional promotions, such as WiFi or extra OBC.

Edit 1 -

BTW, this is what's showing on my next cruise's confirmation in YC:  

INCL − EXPYC−YACHT CLUB: Exclusivity & Luxury −
10/12/19

I don't have anything else listed besides the laundry pack (extra cost) and pre-paid service charges (extra cost).

Going back to OP's concern, I think as long as that line is showing on the confirmation, OP is set to enjoy a cruise in YC.

Edit 2 -

For comparsion, this is what's on my friend's cruise's confirmation in AUREA:

INCL − EXP3A−AUREA: EASY DRINK PACKAGE & SPA

The Aurea line actually lists the drink package and SPA service, while YC's just says "YACHT CLUB."

I can see why a phone rep would just say "it didn't come with anything" when just looking at the confirmation.

Edited by Selion
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Selion said:

IMO, we are over analyzing MSC's response to OP.

Yacht Club experience as shown by MSC:  https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Discover-MSC/MSC-Yacht-Club.aspx

"...it didn't come with anything." - I'm inclined to interpret that as additional promotions, such as WiFi or extra OBC.

The OP specifically states: "I called to verify that it came with the Yacht Club experience and was told it didn't come with anything."   That would imply that the response he got was that it didn't come with the YC 'Experience' (though I reckon he's been misinformed, anyway).

12 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

The OP specifically states: "I called to verify that it came with the Yacht Club experience and was told it didn't come with anything."   That would imply that the response he got was that it didn't come with the YC 'Experience' (though I reckon he's been misinformed, anyway).

Only if MSC phone rep didn't play the pronoun game.  What does that "it" and "anything" refer to?

9 hours ago, Beamafar said:

The Yacht Club cabin includes the Yacht Club experience.  If not, no point in being in Yacht Club.  Particularly in an inside.

• Like 1

I think the biggest factor will be that the OP didn't have any drink package, and I highly doubt MSC is going to be including the YC drink package at a $115pp minimum bid.  My bet is they will be offered an "experience" upgrade that happens to be very close to buying the premium beverage package.  Perhaps if they refuse that upgrade the TS lounge and maybe other areas may be off limits.  It would be hard for all the servers throughout YC to remember they have no drink package.

Edited by Até

What some of you don't seem to grasp is that purchasing experiences isn't an option in the YC.  Purchasing a cabin in the YC comes with the YC experience.  The YC operates differently from the rest of the ship.  My bet is on the OP's getting the full YC experience.

It's the same on Celebrity.  If I upgrade to a royal suite or a penthouse, no matter what I had previously, the premium drink package and other benefits come with the suite.  They are attached to the cabin.  Even some travel agents don't get that and try to talk you into purchasing the Go Best package with those suites.  Now Celebrity and the TA would be perfectly happy to take your money for that, but it would be a complete waste of your money.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kodesthemoose said:

We should really place our bets.  I'm betting on OP getting the YC perks but also betting that MSC has no idea what it's doing with this bidding program. 

MSC have upgraded people before and given them the whole YC experience, why should bidding be any different? A bit like bidding on Aurea from Bella and not getting the massages or drink package or access to the spa.

7 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

What some of you don't seem to grasp is that purchasing experiences isn't an option in the YC. 

That's where you're wrong.  Had you read of others' experiences reported here over the years when upgraded to a YC cabin, some were denied the benefits and others were allowed to pay a small sum to the concierge once onboard to enjoy the YC enclave.

As this is the first reported bid since the policy was implemented, it's still not as clear as it should be of what the wording means. As someone who has sailed in YC several times (with the next 3 bookings being YC ones) and having done 21 MSC cruises so far, I'm reasonably familiar with how MSC operates.

2 minutes ago, sidari said:

MSC have upgraded people before and given them the whole YC experience, why should bidding be any different? A bit like bidding on Aurea from Bella and not getting the massages or drink package or access to the spa.

It would be ridiculous to bid for a YC cabin, pay the extra and end up with less than what you had beforehand.  It's just that the whole process is very unclear at the moment.  Once people start reporting on their experiences we'll have more of a picture of the process.

As Até has said, a minimum bid of $115 to upgrade to YC seems like too little when you consider the extras that come with YC.

3 hours ago, Beamafar said:

That's where you're wrong.  Had you read of others' experiences reported here over the years when upgraded to a YC cabin, some were denied the benefits and others were allowed to pay a small sum to the concierge once onboard to enjoy the YC enclave.

As this is the first reported bid since the policy was implemented, it's still not as clear as it should be of what the wording means. As someone who has sailed in YC several times (with the next 3 bookings being YC ones) and having done 21 MSC cruises so far, I'm reasonably familiar with how MSC operates.

I did read of others' experiences.  Seems they were a while back.

I am only talking about the Seaside, where the Yacht Club is all in one area, accessible only by keycard or wristband.  Once you're in, you're in.  Nobody is going to ask you for your keycard.  I understand that in some of the other ships the Yacht Club areas are not all together.  I believe it would be possible in those cases, although not too bright on MSC's part.  If I were to purchase an upgrade to YC, I would expect to receive everything that comes with the YC experience.  I do not believe it is possible to exclude people on the Seaside.  Seaside is my only experience of YC.