Am I over thinking this? Re: cruise we cancelled

We had to cancel a cruise for the first time ever. Up until now we have always been able to complete all cruises we booked. I contacted RCI customer service. They asked me only for the reservation number and the last name on the reservation. No other identification was asked for, and none was given. A few minutes later I had my cancellation confirmation number. The process took less that 5 minutes. No email was sent afterwards to confirm the cancellation. The confirmation number I wrote down is the only record it was cancelled. 

What concerns me is how little information was required to cancel our cruise. It would be quite easy for anyone to cancel someone's cruise if they had just the reservation number and last name on the reservation. And the owner of the reservation would never know until they checked their cruise planner, perhaps as late as final payment time.

Am I overthinking this????

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

We had to cancel a cruise for the first time ever. Up until now we have always been able to complete all cruises we booked. I contacted RCI customer service. They asked me only for the reservation number and the last name on the reservation. No other identification was asked for, and none was given. A few minutes later I had my cancellation confirmation number. The process took less that 5 minutes. No email was sent afterwards to confirm the cancellation. The confirmation number I wrote down is the only record it was cancelled. 

What concerns me is how little information was required to cancel our cruise. It would be quite easy for anyone to cancel someone's cruise if they had just the reservation number and last name on the reservation. And the owner of the reservation would never know until they checked their cruise planner, perhaps as late as final payment time.

It wasn't an option for you to reschedule to another date ?

1 hour ago, SantaFeFan said:

Who else could have your reservation number?

• Like 6

Yeah.... you're overthinking. Who would steal your reservation number and cancel your cruise? Ok, maybe your girlfriend because you're taking your wife, but other than that, who?   I'd be more concerned about someone booking a cruise using my name and credit card number and me not finding out until after the cruise is complete. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, SantaFeFan said:

What does that have to do with the topic of the discussion????????

Don't you just love those non-answers!!!  The only value to that reply was to add to their 20,000+ post count. Could have been worse, though. I have seen some replies to "What is XXX like" with "I don't sail on XXX so don't know", as if the question was directed to them personally instead on a public forum. 😕

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

What does that have to do with the topic of the discussion????????

Just a question ...now with the NRD option many seem to opting for it seems to be a consideration...sorry I asked. 

3 hours ago, PTMary said:

Don't you just love those non-answers!!!  The only value to that reply was to add to their 20,000+ post count. Could have been worse, though. I have seen some replies to "What is XXX like" with "I don't sail on XXX so don't know", as if the question was directed to them personally instead on a public forum. 😕

I merely asked the question since the OP doesn't usually cancel cruises. Sorry you took it as a "non-answer" with an ulterior motive. Some of you are just always looking for controversy...very sad !

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Who else could have your reservation number?

Anyone who has a linked reservation with you

An ex you were going with and you took them off and added someone else

Family member who you are not talking to at the moment for some reason or another

I could probably come up with more  if I thought about it. I have an evil mind when it comes to some things... 

TV court shows are full of crap like this hahaha 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LilBlackDress said:

Anyone who has a linked reservation with you

An ex you were going with and you took them off and added someone else

Family member who you are not talking to at the moment for some reason or another

I could probably come up with more  if I thought about it. I have an evil mind when it comes to some things... 

TV court shows are full of crap like this hahaha 

True, but are you suggesting all sorts of ID verification should be  required to simply cancel a cruise on the off chance that an ex might try to get even?  What type of ID would suffice if the reservation number doesn't?  Again.... seems to be a bit overthinking this.  My suggestion is that if you are in a position where you think someone might cancel your cruise to get even for something,  simply keep the reservation number private.  And if you have friends that you cruise with who you think might cancel your reservation for some reason, don't link with them.  And check your reservation daily for cancellation.  I've had my entire identity stolen.  The least of my worries is someone cancelling a cruise on me.  

12 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Who would steal your reservation number and cancel your cruise? Ok, maybe your girlfriend because you're taking your wife, but other than that, who? 

More likely your wife when she found out you're taking your girlfriend:classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, orville99 said:

More likely your wife when she found out you're taking your girlfriend:classic_laugh:

I thought about that, but figured I could never rationalize going on a cruise without my wife.  Besides, MY wife would do a lot more than cancel the reservation (think Lorena Bobbitt!).  😱

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Seems like this was brought up not too long ago here and I agree with a previous poster above that Royal Caribbean needs to take a page out of Carnivals book and come up with a 4 digit PIN that you have to give before you can do ANYTHING.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ashland said:

Just a question ...now with the NRD option many seem to opting for it seems to be a consideration...sorry I asked. 

If you change the sailing date or the ship, you lose the $100 per person.

If you cancel, you lose the $100 per person.

So??????

Only difference is, if you don't book another cruise within a year.

To stay on topic, I agree with others, the combination of booking number and name is enough.  Same for airline reservations.  They do ask, "who am I speaking to," they do not confirm that answer.

1 minute ago, papaflamingo said:

I thought about that, but figured I could never rationalize going on a cruise without my wife.  Besides, MY wife would do a lot more than cancel the reservation (think Lorena Bobbitt!).  😱

Every time DW and I board a cruise, my wife uses the line "No pictures, his wife might see them". You should see the expressions on the photog's faces:classic_laugh:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, orville99 said:

Every time DW and I board a cruise, my wife uses the line "No pictures, his wife might see them". You should see the expressions on the photog's faces:classic_laugh:

I'm going to remember that one.