Am I over thinking this? Re: cruise we cancelled

10 minutes ago, marci22 said:

If it makes you feel any better I've never read about this happening in the years I've been reading these forums. More likely you will get booted out of your cabin or struck by lightening.

You stand a better chance of the cruise line canceling your reservation by mistake than someone with a motive.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SRF said:

If you change the sailing date or the ship, you lose the $100 per person.

If you cancel, you lose the $100 per person.

So??????

Only difference is, if you don't book another cruise within a year.

To stay on topic, I agree with others, the combination of booking number and name is enough.  Same for airline reservations.  They do ask, "who am I speaking to," they do not confirm that answer.

So basically the same outcome...thanks.

9 hours ago, LilBlackDress said:

Anyone who has a linked reservation with you

An ex you were going with and you took them off and added someone else

Family member who you are not talking to at the moment for some reason or another

I could probably come up with more  if I thought about it. I have an evil mind when it comes to some things... 

TV court shows are full of crap like this hahaha 

I agree that court shows are full of crap but I have never seen the case of the canceled reservation on Judge Judy. The scenarios that you described probably have bigger issues that canceling a cruise wouldn't come close to solving or getting even.

16 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Who else could have your reservation number?

16 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Yeah.... you're overthinking. Who would steal your reservation number and cancel your cruise? 

Hate to say it ... maybe the same person who just hacked into your computer and is currently taking your passwords, photos, credit card and banking info?

Edited by Hoopster95

16 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Hate to say it ... maybe the same person who just hacked into your computer and is currently taking your passwords, photos, credit card and banking info?

You are just full of fun today.

Just now, Host Clarea said:

If someone is linked with you, your reservation number show up on their booking confirmation from Royal.

I guess someone like that (linked) could cancel another persons cruise by mistake.  Good point.

11 hours ago, LilBlackDress said:

Anyone who has a linked reservation with you

Oddly enough, this somewhat relates to something I was going to ask.  I was doing some planning and clicked on the "more information" tab on my reservation and saw that someone I don't recognize is linked with my reservation.   My mother booked this cruise for my parents to go with my husband and I.   So I guess it's possible someone unknown to you could have your reservation number if a mistake was made. 

Not to hijack your thread, I am going to start my own.

3 minutes ago, legaljen1969 said:

Oddly enough, this somewhat relates to something I was going to ask.  I was doing some planning and clicked on the "more information" tab on my reservation and saw that someone I don't recognize is linked with my reservation.   My mother booked this cruise for my parents to go with my husband and I.   So I guess it's possible someone unknown to you could have your reservation number if a mistake was made. 

Not to hijack your thread, I am going to start my own.

Used to be that one person could request linking a reservation to another.  At some point several years ago, Royal had some problems with unwanted linkings, so they instituted a policy requiring a mutual request to form a link.  Don't know if that still is the case, since it's all done by our travel agent now, and anyone who links with us uses the same travel agent.

Many years ago while I was in Walmart I got a phone call from my TA asking if I had canceled my cruise.  I said no way but somehow she had gotten notified by RCCL I had canceled and wanted to check.  She took care of it and we were glad she called because it would have been a big shock if we had gotten to the port and found out someone at falsely canceled our cruise.  Never did figure out who or how it happened.

The Ump

John

3 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Used to be that one person could request linking a reservation to another.  At some point several years ago, Royal had some problems with unwanted linkings, so they instituted a policy requiring a mutual request to form a link.  Don't know if that still is the case, since it's all done by our travel agent now, and anyone who links with us uses the same travel agent.

I recently booked an extended family cruise (RCI 3 cabins for 10 people) and linked them all together when I did the reservation...also designated myself as the owner of these bookings. I've always done this in the past and so far have never had an issue.

9 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

I thought about that, but figured I could never rationalize going on a cruise without my wife.  Besides, MY wife would do a lot more than cancel the reservation (think Lorena Bobbitt!).  😱

Ouch

Getting this back track.

Question to the OP.  I am assuming you booked this directly with Royal over the phone or perhaps, through their website.  Perhaps during this process they have a record of your home phone number.  So this was an additional point of information they used to validate your identity when you called to cancel your reservation.

However, I also understand your concern.

On 6/26/2019 at 7:42 PM, SantaFeFan said:

We had to cancel a cruise for the first time ever. Up until now we have always been able to complete all cruises we booked. I contacted RCI customer service. They asked me only for the reservation number and the last name on the reservation. No other identification was asked for, and none was given. A few minutes later I had my cancellation confirmation number. The process took less that 5 minutes. No email was sent afterwards to confirm the cancellation. The confirmation number I wrote down is the only record it was cancelled. 

What concerns me is how little information was required to cancel our cruise. It would be quite easy for anyone to cancel someone's cruise if they had just the reservation number and last name on the reservation. And the owner of the reservation would never know until they checked their cruise planner, perhaps as late as final payment time.

Am I overthinking this????

At any time did the customer service rep advise you of something like:

"Your deposit in the amount of $xxx will be refunded back to your Credit Card ending in **1234 in 5 -7 business days."

If so .. or if not ... an unexpected large credit from Royal Caribbean on a credit card / bank statement would be an indication that something nefarious was up before final payment time.

45 minutes ago, AdGuyMG said:

At any time did the customer service rep advise you of something like:

"Your deposit in the amount of $xxx will be refunded back to your Credit Card ending in **1234 in 5 -7 business days."

If so .. or if not ... an unexpected large credit from Royal Caribbean on a credit card / bank statement would be an indication that something nefarious was up before final payment time.

The original reservation was done online through the RCI web site. Since there is no link on that web site to begin the cancellation process, I contacted RCI customer service for the one and only time regarding the reservation. Nothing regarding the refund of the deposit was mentioned, whether timing, account number, or anything else. No information was asked for other than reservation number and last name. The agent did mention the sail date and the ship to verify if this was the correct cruise. I was put on hold for two or three minutes before he came back on and provided the confirmation number. 

I am not that bothered by the process. I just found it a bit odd that it required so little proof of ownership of the reservation. I have to provide more information than RCI requires when cancelling an order for a few dollars worth of merchandise at Amazon. Just seemed odd that cancelling a $4,000 cruise was so simple.

Thanks to all for your comments, both in support or not. You have all given me additional perspective that I am comfortable with. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

15 hours ago, bouhunter said:

I guess someone like that (linked) could cancel another persons cruise by mistake.  Good point.

Not likely as you need to also provide the name.  So it would not be an accident.   And if you cruise with friends and link to their reservation, and fear they might cancel your cruise as a joke or out of spite or anger, I'd suggest you cruise with someone else, someone who you can actually trust.  😏

6 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

And if you cruise with friends and link to their reservation, and fear they might cancel your cruise as a joke or out of spite or anger, I'd suggest you cruise with someone else, someone who you can actually trust.  😏

We had a lengthy thread about a poster complaining that RCI would NOT let them cancel another booking they paid for - RCI insisted the cabin occupant had to call to cancel, even though the poster had all of the information about the booking down to the credit card used to pay for it.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

When my ID was stolen it wasn't a computer hack, it was an information sales stolen from hospital financial records.  And from that experience, I can confidently say that an ID thief, even a computer hacker stealing records, is not going to spend time calling a cruise line to cancel your cruise.  No money in it as any refund would go to the credit card on file.  Honestly, if you live in such a paranoid world that you think "they" are going to cancel your cruise, simply keep all your cruise reservations private, not stored on any computer, and don't link your reservation with anyone,  book with a TA that you trust, of course I suppose your hacker could hack the TA's computer and cancel your reservation anyway, or your TA could cancel the cruise accidentally or out of spite for you, so I guess you can't really book with a TA, so I guess you need to do everything by snail mail, but then a mail thief might steal your mail and cancel your cruise!     Seriously, as I said this is truly overthinking a non issue.  

• Like 1