Nice Cruise Ruined by money grabs

frogdream

When we boarded the ship we went to O'Sheehan's Bar for a couple of drinks while waiting for staterooms to be ready. We ordered 2 Bloody Mary's (we did not request a particular brand of vodka) we were not given anything to sign to charge to the room, only the room card (we didn't know then that we should have been presented with a bill to sign), then we ordered 2 more. Later we saw that the first 2 cost us $45, and the second 2 $25. We had ordered exactly the same drinks, again premium vodka was never mentioned by us or the bartender. When I enquired at client services later in the day, I was told about the 2 differently priced premium vodkas we were billed for. I had to argue with the employee who finally called the bar and they said they would reverse the additional charges and I would see it later in the day. That evening after seeing no credit I asked again (waited on long lines both times) and was told by a different person that the refund had to happen after we returned to NY since we ordered the drinks while still in port. I asked what I neede to do or who to contact about it, she told me she was sending a message and I didnt' have to do anything.  6/27 - I still don't have resolution 

The other negative experience was in the Spa - I had 2 services, my 2 friends had one each. We all were told the provider would advise the best type of facial for our skin, and of course were advised the most expensive. I later booked a pedicure and when I sat down for what I expected according to the price list would cost $69, was told that one was really just a superficial cleaning, and what I always have known as a pedicure would cost $75 plus $25 for the shellac polish I wanted. I immediately canceled and left.

These 2 experiences left a bad feeling about the cruise, which otherwise was fine except for the crowds/noise  at the pool and the hogging of pool chairs was very unpleasant. We luckily had a balcony room and spent too much time there.

• Like 1

Welcome to Cruise Critic, frogdream.  I’m so sorry you experienced these, (understandably), exasperating situations.  I’ve never had anything like this happen to me on any cruise line, but I usually have the beverage package and don’t use the spa.  Good luck with sorting this out and be sure to spend more time here on CC before your next cruise to make sure you’re well informed in advance.

First off, sorry this happened to you & spoiled an otherwise good vacation.  You also confirm to DW & I why we don't drink very much and don't go to the spa!

Am assuming from your one post that you're a newbie cruiser (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong!) so I'm going to give you a couple of tips for future cruises:

1) Whenever/wherever you present your key card on board to pay for something you should ALWAYS get a receipt to sign.  LOOK AT IT BEFORE YOU SIGN!!!  You look at your receipts at Macy's, WalMart, fave restaurant,  wherever, right?  Do it on board also.

2) On just about every cruise they have a Q&A with the senior officers that all the pax are invited to attend.  Find out the name of the Hotel Manager; he/she can resolve a complaint like yours.  There's also a Beverage Manager and Spa Manager you can take a complaint like yours to but the Hotel Manager is best for this.

As BirdTravels pointed out the best place to resolve complaints such as yours was aboard ship.

Also do some research here on CC next time BEFORE you sail.

• Like 2

Too bad about your experiences. It is too late now, but you should have made sure about the drinks before you left the ship. The advice about attending the M&G and meeting the various dept. heads is very good. It has been my experience that they also remember you too. I know that it sounds harsh to go to a dept head or even the hotel manager, but often times that is the best way to get things to happen.

As for the spa - we stay as far away as possible.

Also drinks in port usually have tax on them - just a few cents but still...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomk3212 said:

1) Whenever/wherever you present your key card on board to pay for something you should ALWAYS get a receipt to sign.  LOOK AT IT BEFORE YOU SIGN!!!  You look at your receipts at Macy's, WalMart, fave restaurant,  wherever, right?  Do it on board also.

I guess I have ordered well over one hundred drinks on NCL cruises over the past few years.  I have always had the "perk" alcohol package.  I have always given my key card, have never been given a receipt, and have never been charged a nickle for a drink. 

• Like 3

As you are here on CC go to the Meet & Greet on your next cruise.   You will be given a card with the names and phone numbers of the heads of departments.   If you have a problem call the person in charge and explain how you got the number and tell the problem.

You will be surprised at the service you will get.

• Like 2

Mistakes kann Happen. At my last two cruises I had each two drinks at my account ( with all in ). After going to guest service I got the money back. If i’m Correct you have to give a signature when they debtit your account. 

And at my last cruise I booked my shore excursion prior cruise via phone ( because of the 50 dollar each port). And Ncl forgot my latitudes discount.  Went to shore excursion desk and they changed it. 

I check my board account every day. Mistakes can happen. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

I guess I have ordered well over one hundred drinks on NCL cruises over the past few years.  I have always had the "perk" alcohol package.  I have always given my key card, have never been given a receipt, and have never been charged a nickle for a drink. 

I am slightly confused regarding the issue of receiving a receipt to sign when getting a drink even when you have a 'free at sea' deal. I thought that the receipt to sign was done away with a few years ago. Is this still the case and you simply hand over your card with nothing to sign ?

3 hours ago, JOHNHOWARTH2 said:

I am slightly confused regarding the issue of receiving a receipt to sign when getting a drink even when you have a 'free at sea' deal. I thought that the receipt to sign was done away with a few years ago. Is this still the case and you simply hand over your card with nothing to sign ?

If you have the drink package there is NO receipt to sign, unless you go over the 15.00 limit.

Not sure on pay as you go, I would think you still get a receipt to sign.

5 hours ago, Steff79 said:

And at my last cruise I booked my shore excursion prior cruise via phone ( because of the 50 dollar each port). And Ncl forgot my latitudes discount.  Went to shore excursion desk and they changed it.

i had the same problem but lucky for me, the problem fixed itself automatically as i was given an random onboard credit of the difference. i did not had to go to the desk to get it fixed. i guess someone in the office noticed it

10 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

These issues could have been resolved on the ship. Complaining on Cruise Critic will not help you fix potential mis-charges. 

I agree  with you full heartedly. Luckily I have never had anything like this happen and have cruised close to 50 times now. The few complaints I have had I make sure are corrected before I leave the ship. I don't think I have ever considered coming to CC to gripe after the fact. I do understand the ops reaction. What a crappy way to start the cruise, but I also do not understand the charge for the bloody Marys .  I would add, this is a reason to get the UDP as it seems the OP did enjoy a few drinks. Nothing wrong with enjoying what you want on a vacation but the UDP is the way to go for those of us who like more than an occasional glass of wine. It is so sad to think, something like this totally ruined a cruise. We had a bad spa experience years ago, would not use the spa on that particular  ship again but our cruise was nowhere near ruined. 

@FLAHAM Have never gotten any of the drink packages so I'll take your word on the lack of receipt. We always pay by the drink so we ALWAYS get a receipt to sign.

I'll amend my advice to OP as follows: If you DON'T have a drink package then LOOK at the receipt before signing.

I got hosed at the spa on the Gem during my honeymoon. It was an 11 night and my gel nail polish had already chipped. I checked out their menu and decided I would spend the $50 for a gel manicure.  Well, when I was done, the charge was $90!! They had charged me for a special "fire and ice" manicure with the gel polish on top of that. I fought with them and they said that I never said anything during the service. How was I supposed to know what they did wasn't their standard overpriced manicure? My husband ended up going in and fighting with the spa manager about it. We got a refund but from now on, I will stay away! 

7 hours ago, JCDCA said:

If you don't have the drink package on NCL, I think you're doing something wrong...

No real easy way to say this so, not every ones life revolves around how much alcohol they can cram down their gullet. Quite a few people don't get the drink package because it's just not worth it to them.

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, FenixRising said:

No real easy way to say this so, not every ones life revolves around how much alcohol they can cram down their gullet. Quite a few people don't get the drink package because it's just not worth it to them.

Here is an easy way to say this, the drink package as a perk costs the equivalent of about 2-4 drinks per day and has nothing to do with consumption for some people.  Quite a few people, myself included, get the drink package because it is totally worth it to them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

Here is an easy way to say this, the drink package as a perk costs the equivalent of about 2-4 drinks per day and has nothing to do with consumption for some people.  Quite a few people, myself included, get the drink package because it is totally worth it to them.

And your point is?