Problem getting separate cabins for my 18 year olds

the admiral12

I have an issue between my daughters that makes them not want to room together,  they are 18 and we are traveling with them on a European (west med) cruise next month.  Celebrity is telling my TA that they will not sell us an additional cabin (we already have two Aqua Veranda cabins) at any price.  Furthermore, if they could, they would make us forfeit all the money for that passenger in the existing cabin prior to selling a single cabin rate to them. 

Is this just Celebrity being awful?

I cannot be the only person that has ever needed to add a cabin.  We have done this on Princess without an issue.

Also, as anyone ever added a cabin once on the ship?

The way I read it, they have person A and person B both booked in one room together and are now looking to add another room for person B.

The same person cannot be booked into two state rooms at once so Celebrity will not book that person B into a room alone.  

Additionally, The rules for booking rooms for minors is that this is allowed if the rooms are adjacent to, or across the hall from, the adults.

If there is not a third aqua room adjacent to the parents’ room, then person B is too young and cannot be booked alone somewhere else.

The only way for the two 18-year-olds to have their own rooms as if the three rooms are in a row or across the hallway. So you would be trying two get two (expensive) Single occupancies and one double occupancy And in doing so you would actually be paying for six spaces because singles pay double.  

• Like 3

They are not minors and most cruise lines are very careful with teens on board.

i hope this poster realizes that she is going to pay single supplement for both girls. 

I agree with bewagb, either get your act together or don’t go. 

• Like 4

Celebrity does not allow under 21’s to book rooms independently.  There is a complicated set of rules regarding exceptins for active military or marrieds, but basically these 18 year olds would not be allowed to book staterooms not adjacent to the parents’ rooms 

11 minutes ago, Highpeaklad said:

What does being under 21 have to do with anything? Surely once they are over 18 they are adults. Is this an American thing?

Nope, in the US at 18 they are adults however cruise lines have had bad experiences with young adults that age and do have restrictions. Some cruise lines the restrictions involve up to age 25.

Edited by dkjretired
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Alakegirl said:

Celebrity does not allow under 21’s to book rooms independently.  There is a complicated set of rules regarding exceptins for active military or marrieds, but basically these 18 year olds would not be allowed to book staterooms not adjacent to the parents’ rooms 

Years ago there was a story of a couple who were allowed to cruise on Celebrity, he was 17, she was 18 but they were married.

2 things -1. For me it would be share, stay home or pay the half the difference each by getting a job! 2. In EU this should not be an issue, look to book on a eu web site (just take note of the different cancellation policies and not able to change after booking)

• Like 1

I suspect the issue is that OP is not understanding the single supplement implications of such a booking.  It's not a per-person price so it's not as simple as saying "give us another room." 

Edited by bEwAbG
  • Like 1

What I know from about a year ago info is, You have to be 21 or older to book a SR. If under 21, a roomie has to be 25 or older. In other words, the two sisters who are 18 can’t be booked as roomies. The TA probably booked the parents, one in each room and a sister with each, and now that the girls won’t bunk together and they want a 3rd SR and Celebrity now understands there was going to be two 18yrolds in the same SR, there is a problem. Not only with adding a new SR, but with the existing setup....a no go at least based on what I understood the age rules last year. 

A Remedy: keep SRs as is and: sisters work it out; split parents up and room with each girl; put one girl in room with parents and one by themselves in 2nd SR and then switch midway. 

My Remedy: Since I assume the parents are paying for all of this, I’d state very clearly, they room together or they both don’t cruise. Why cruise with that situation. Are they going to have to dine apart/take excursions apart??? 

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Thanks 1

This is the policy:

Celebrity’s minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings originating in North America is twenty-one (21). The minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is eighteen (18). Celebrity Cruises retains the right, on rare occasions, to raise the minimum age to sail unaccompanied on any sailing when local laws require or permit such a modification.

• Like 1

Now I’ve gotten curious about this whole issue. I too found the same situation that an under 21 had to have an older person, I hesitate to say adult, in the same room when I was booking for a family reunion. But now I have looked at the Celebrity at FAQ and I no longer see that age information on it. That doesn’t mean much to me, because I know that Celebrity is notorious for having incomplete, incorrect, and miss leading information on the FAQ. So it is entirely possible that the age difference is now different in the US and Europe as far as booking discount. OK. So assuming that each 18-year-old can be booked independently as single occupancies, They still will end up paying double the price. So as I said earlier, for the four of them, they will be paying for six That’s pretty expensive.

so  now I am also curious, where  is it that statement of policy quoted above appears. Was it on the Celebrity website or on a travel agency website ?

Edited by cruisestitch

The FAQ on the US website. Says the same thing on the UK website.

ETA: and the Australian one as well as an article about ages on Cruise Critic

Edited by bEwAbG

5 hours ago, the admiral12 said:

I have an issue between my daughters that makes them not want to room together,  they are 18 and we are traveling with them on a European (west med) cruise next month.  Celebrity is telling my TA that they will not sell us an additional cabin (we already have two Aqua Veranda cabins) at any price.  Furthermore, if they could, they would make us forfeit all the money for that passenger in the existing cabin prior to selling a single cabin rate to them. 

Is this just Celebrity being awful?

I cannot be the only person that has ever needed to add a cabin.  We have done this on Princess without an issue.

Also, as anyone ever added a cabin once on the ship?

Yes, we have, but there can be a number of different variables involved from one situation to another.

First of all, are you aware that Celebrity typically charges the double rate for a single occupancy, just as many hotels do when you book a hotel room for one person?

Celebrity does not have cabins for singles.

You used the term "selling a single cabin rate" but a single cabin rate is usually (with very few exceptions) the same price as booking 2 people in the cabin, except for excluding port fees and taxes for the second person.

If the cruise originates in Europe, there should be no problem with booking 18 year olds in their own individual cabins (each paying the full double occupancy price), except that in some circumstances there may be muster station/lifeboat capacity issues, depending on how the cabins are filling.

If the cruise originates in the USA, then depending on the cabin locations people may or may not need to do some juggling of names on the reservations to have an adult officially booked into each cabin, at least on paper (regardless of where the people actually end up sleeping).

People here may be able to give you more helpful advice if you are willing to provide more detailed information about your particular situation.

Edited by varoo

2 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

This is the policy:

Celebrity’s minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings originating in North America is twenty-one (21). The minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is eighteen (18). Celebrity Cruises retains the right, on rare occasions, to raise the minimum age to sail unaccompanied on any sailing when local laws require or permit such a modification.

Here is the whole paragraph

For voyages originating in North America, no guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing. This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military. Certain other restrictions and conditions will apply; such as compliance with the age twenty-one (21) alcohol policy, and proof of marriage for underage couples or proof of active duty military status required.

Based upon the latter part of the paragraph, there should be no problem having the girls in the same cabin as long as the cabins are adjacent.   

I agree with others and wonder if the OP realizes that if she gets another cabin she will have four people sailing and paying for six.