Problem getting separate cabins for my 18 year olds

the admiral12

7 hours ago, the admiral12 said:

I have an issue between my daughters that makes them not want to room together,  they are 18 and we are traveling with them on a European (west med) cruise next month.  Celebrity is telling my TA that they will not sell us an additional cabin (we already have two Aqua Veranda cabins) at any price.  Furthermore, if they could, they would make us forfeit all the money for that passenger in the existing cabin prior to selling a single cabin rate to them. 

Is this just Celebrity being awful?

I cannot be the only person that has ever needed to add a cabin.  We have done this on Princess without an issue.

Also, as anyone ever added a cabin once on the ship?

What they mean when they say you would forfeit the money for the passenger in the existing cabin, is that if you booked a third cabin, you would have to cancel the girl in the current cabin and make a new booking for the new cabin.  Since you are way past final payment it you would be forfeiting most of the fare.  EM

To the OP- 

You questioned if anyone has added a cabin while on a ship.

I think the chances of being able to do this is very small.

I wouldn’t plan on doing this because the ship may be sold out and there would be no cabin available for your situation.

A remedy would be that you would have two cabins - one each for a daughter and one parent. This may not be ideal for your family.

if you are considering booking a cabin for each daughter,this could be expensive as sometimes cruise lines charge a single supplement which could be 100 percent ( or higher) of the cruise fare.

if you are prepared to pay expensive fares for your daughters,perhaps you could book a large suite ( two bedrooms and a sofa bed arrangement) . Such  a suite may not be available though if your cruise is a month away.

Of course, no one reading your post is aware of the issue between your daughters.

But,if they can not room together in the same cabin, how will their issue affect your family vacation ? I can’t imagine what dinners would be like for all of you if there is awkwardness or tension between the two girls.

i wish you good luck in trying to get Celebrity to accommodate you and hope your daughters can resolve the issue between them before your planned cruise.

9 hours ago, Denny01 said:

What I know from about a year ago info is, You have to be 21 or older to book a SR. If under 21, a roomie has to be 25 or older. In other words, the two sisters who are 18 can’t be booked as roomies. The TA probably booked the parents, one in each room and a sister with each, and now that the girls won’t bunk together and they want a 3rd SR and Celebrity now understands there was going to be two 18yrolds in the same SR, there is a problem. Not only with adding a new SR, but with the existing setup....a no go at least based on what I understood the age rules last year.

Den

Wrong. As others have stated, the two girls can go in a cabin on paper on their own (my teens do it all the time) as long as their cabin is adjacent/next to/across the hall from their parents, irrespective of where in the world the sailing is. I suspect the problem is that the OP didn’t realise they need to pay for 4 pax if they have 2 cabins for 2 people, or that they would have to pay even more as they are past final payment if they want to start adding cabins to their booking.

There wouldn’t be an option in our house unless they were paying for it themselves!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, the admiral12 said:

I have an issue between my daughters that makes them not want to room together,  they are 18 and we are traveling with them on a European (west med) cruise next month.  Celebrity is telling my TA that they will not sell us an additional cabin (we already have two Aqua Veranda cabins) at any price.  Furthermore, if they could, they would make us forfeit all the money for that passenger in the existing cabin prior to selling a single cabin rate to them. 

I cannot be the only person that has ever needed to add a cabin.  We have done this on Princess without an issue.

Adding a cabin is not an issue if there is one to sell you. Yes you need to forfeit the money for the person who moves out as a single in any cabin pays the price of 2 people minus tax and port fees ,,, so now you pay for 2 people in each cabin.. so your daughter's spat is quite expensive. Cheaper to send them to therapy ASAP and then they room together or stay home!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Sounds like you need to spend time resolving the ‘issue’...Perhaps you could devise some ground rules on their cabin share, as 18 year olds and with a port intensive itinerary they would only need to be sharing space when ready to sleep, there are lots of places on the ship where they can spend time apart.

If separate rooms is the only option are there any larger suites available (CS, RS) where one girl could have the sofa bed in the lounge and the other an adjacent cabin? It would still cost you more but Celebrity may be able to do something with this request as you are upgrading and only needing two rooms...Worth a phone call?

Only other alternative is one rooms with Mum and one with Dad....

OP I don’t think you would be posting on here or considering booking another room unless the ‘issue’ was significant. I sincerely hope you can manage to sort something and have a wonderful Mediterranean family cruise.

• Like 1

Celebrity probably prefers to have two cabins with two people in each, than having two cabins with one person in each, for on-board revenue purposes.  Thus them unwilling to sell a third cabin to them.

I have never known Celebrity, or any cruise line, to be reluctant to sell a cabin as a single occupancy. Yes their on-board revenue goes down.  A single occupant might buy one shore excursion where double occupancy might buy two, etc.  But that never seems to stop them from booking singles. If the room is available, they will let a single book it.  I suspect that in the OP’s situation, there are simply no rooms available, especially if the family is wanting another Aqua room.

Edited by cruisestitch

17 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Perhaps your girls would prefer to stay home....that's always an option.

They would probably love this option!

However in some (many) cases parents won't even consider this option for various reasons (I know, I know ... we used to get married at this age, but things are different now)

Unless I am missing something, I am in the "sound spoiled" group. In my experience (two adult children and my wife doing daycare for 24 years) telling them to "grow up and get along" will most likely not work and could spoil most, if not all of cruise.

Best of luck on finding your solution, I think you know what mine is.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

Unless I am missing something, I am in the "sound spoiled" group. In my experience (two adult children and my wife doing daycare for 24 years) telling them to "grow up and get along" will most likely not work and could spoil most, if not all of cruise.

I would agree if they were kids.  These people are 18.  It's past time to stop coddling tantrum-throwers once they're legally old enough to drive a car.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

I would agree if they were kids.  These people are 18.  It's past time to stop coddling tantrum-throwers once they're legally old enough to drive a car.

Trust me, I absolutely agree with you and a common discussion with my wife.
My point was that even at 18, you can't flick a switch and expect them to behave, especcialy if it has never happened before. That said, that switch should be flicked.

• Like 1

Maybe the girls could take turns bunking in with parents a few nights of the cruise.  Giving each a turn at  being solo and of course ruining  cruise for the parents, I suspect.  Maybe one or both or all of them should just  stay home????

Uh oh... I  just read the video camera post...   so perhaps they  should put each one in with a parent for overnight... sounds like a  private serious family issue and in fairness,   OP really just asked about Celebrity  options

Edited by hcat

Just to add to this in case any one else searches on this issue - I booked 2 guarantee cabins one for 2 adults DH and myself and 1 for my 2 girls aged 21 and 18 at the time - We were assigned cabins about 20 rooms apart and in different life boats.  So the line put them there no issue in EU for 18 yrs to be in a cabin with over 25 yrs.

Agreed with every one - pay the difference themselves (Saturday jobs!) to get solo cabins or leave home, no way I would be pandering to this.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

If the 0P can’t even come back to thank people for their help and advice, I’m done with this thread and really hope I never meet this family in person.

Unfortunately, this happens far too often here on CC: someone starts a thread, asks a question, gets help, but never thanks those who took the time to respond.   Not that people should need guidance on good manners, but CC's Guidelines do in fact include this:

One other other item that adds to the enjoyment of this community -- if you ask a question, when reading the answers acknowledge that members have taken the time to reply to you. It is a breach of "netiquette" to start a topic or question in which you presumably have an interest, then ignore the subsequent discussion.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/guidelines/

• Like 1

I have an issue between my daughters that makes them not want to room together,  they are 18 and we are traveling with them on a European (west med) cruise next month. 

"Is this Celebrity being awful" Dying [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji849]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I can't believe this.  2 x 18 year olds being treated to a cruise in an Aqua class room, should consider themselves very lucky and fortunate to be taken on a cruise.  Not everyone can afford to do that.  And then the parents offer to hire out a 3rd room??? 

• Like 1