Cruise gift bag items?

Hi,

I tried to do a search for my question and came up with everything but what I was looking for, lol!

We are going on a cruise to Alaska and our friends decided that they want to go too.  They haven't done much cruising so I know they don't bring the little "extras" that some regular cruisers allow bring.  I want to put together a little gift bag for them to give to them before we leave. ( We're leaving 2 weeks before them and doing our own land vacation first ).  I would love to hear ideas for things to put in the bag.

So far I have:

Heavy duty Cruise luggage tag holders

magnet clips/hooks

highlighter

ginger candies ( they're doing a Kenai Fjords boat trip before the cruise )

small flashlight

Anything else I should add????

Thanks for your input!!!

That's very thoughtful of you.

Here's one long discussion of "what to bring" -- it will have far more than you want for your gift bag, but you may get some additional ideas from it.  I have my own packing lists, of course.   One item you might want to add to your gift bag is a travel size roll of duct tape.  (When you need it, you need it!)

Enjoy your trip!

23 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

That's very thoughtful of you.

Here's one long discussion of "what to bring" -- it will have far more than you want for your gift bag, but you may get some additional ideas from it.  I have my own packing lists, of course.   One item you might want to add to your gift bag is a travel size roll of duct tape.  (When you need it, you need it!)

Enjoy your trip!

Thank you! I knew there were discussions out there but my search didn’t find them! I appreciate the link and your idea! I have my tape ready, I will add one for them too! ( I’ve had to use it on our luggage before!)

If the cabins do not have clocks, then a small battery-operated clock that is back-lit.  Although they are not expensive (I got mine on amazon), it might be more than you want to spend on one item so you may want to make the suggestion to them.  I always wake up at least once during the night and it is very helpful to easily see the time.  We place the clock so that we can see it clearly from the bed.  It really helps when we have inside cabins.

3 hours ago, cruisin'mama said:

... So far I have:

Heavy duty Cruise luggage tag holders

magnet clips/hooks

highlighter

ginger candies ( they're doing a Kenai Fjords boat trip before the cruise )

small flashlight

Anything else I should add????...

See post #69 for the gift bag @Beverleel put together:

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

If the cabins do not have clocks, then a small battery-operated clock that is back-lit.  Although they are not expensive (I got mine on amazon), it might be more than you want to spend on one item so you may want to make the suggestion to them.  I always wake up at least once during the night and it is very helpful to easily see the time.  We place the clock so that we can see it clearly from the bed.  It really helps when we have inside cabins.

I always travel with one!  I need the ones that you don't need to hit the "light button" and has extra large numbers, lol! I too wake up at least once each night and look at the time. 

24 minutes ago, TxCityKat said:

See post #69 for the gift bag @Beverleel put together:

Our friends usually travel in their motorhome and take their cat with them.  SO the suggestion of a magnetic picture frame for a picture of their pet, while unnecessary, it would probably be appreciated.  I don't need a picture of my sweet dog with me on vacation though!

And as far as lanyards, they will have their adult special needs son with them ( we will have our son who has Down Syndrome with us as well )  and he always has his lanyard on especially at theme parks where he has an annual pass.  So I won't need to get those.

I did pick up a small bug repellant since it's Alaska and also a can of GOOD waterproofer for their shoes and backpacks, etc.  And for their day at the glaciers of Kenai Fjords, the little hand warmers for each of them.

Thanks everyone!  I really appreciate the ideas!!!

4 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I use my phone.  That's all I use my phone for 🙂

I use my phone and would never bother to take a clock. It can be wise to go into the clock settings on the phone and disable automatic date and time settings. Sometimes on a cruise ship, it picks up a time other than the local time. For example, I have had it pick up UTC (apparently the on board network was providing that as the network time). So, I manually update the time for time zone changes and don't let it use network time on cruise ships.

I'd recommend a two port USB wall charger. Something like this one with plug prongs that fold in for compact packing and that outputs at least 2 Amps per port for fast charging:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07RGPVNWM/ref=emc_b_5_t

Also two external batteries with at least 10000 mAh each (that's 10 Ah, but the ratings usually show the units as mAh). Each one will provide at least a couple of phone recharges or one tablet recharge. Having two provides one for using during the day and charging at night and one plugged into the phone on the nightstand at night and charging during the day in case there is no outlet near the nightstand. (Note, if flying to your port, these are required to be in carry on, not checked luggage.)

https://smile.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Ultra-Compact-High-Speed-Technology/dp/B0194WDVHI

I never use built in charging ports because they often are disappointing. They can be older providing lower power outlet so they charge things very slowly or even can't keep up with the power draw of newer devices. Or not well maintained. Plus there is always the security concern about whether they might try to access data on the device. So I prefer to use a wall charger I bring to provide USB outlets.

Edited by new_cruiser
Adding a link I forgot to put in.
  • Like 1

I forgot - also a couple of European to US plug converters. The line we usually travel on has some outlets in pairs one with a US plug and one with a European plug (two round prongs) so having the converters doubles the available outlets. Most modern electronics operate from 110 or 220 so you just need something that converts the outlet shape.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AZ9BIKG

Lip balm as I tend to get dry lips, especially when forced air is on.  Ear plugs are good for the plane and if you have a noisy room. We also bring lidded travel mugs to keep our coffee hot when we are attending long lectures or sitting out on deck.  Also good for keeping cold drinks cold longer. I also bring a small night light to clip onto my book for reading at night. Nicole

1 minute ago, JC in CA said:

Pad of post-its.  We've found this handy to leave notes for each other or to request ice from our room steward.  I forgot them last time and wished I had them!

That's a good idea.  Not for a gift bag.  Thanks.

34 minutes ago, cruisin'mama said:

I forgot, I already had post it notes for them!

They come in so handy.  A fun shape (starfish, boat, etc) would be great in a cruise gift bag.

What a great friend you are to prepare such a thoughtful gift for them.