AIR TO SEA PROGRAM

9 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I guess then we can't even start looking at airfare prices for about 3 more weeks, is that correct? Is that how it works? ...

Most of the flight options appear around 330 days before the flight date.

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Wow lots of different kinds of info...........What we are looking to do is fly from PHL to Anchorage One way..............then on the return fly from either Vancouver to PHL or from Seattle to PHL depending on the prices.

Cruise is set for July 31st, 2020.........but we will be doing a DIY land tour prior to the cruise some where around July 24th...........

I guess then we can't even start looking at airfare prices for about 3 more weeks, is that correct? Is that how it works?

The reason we rather book teh air through Choice Air is because I'm hoping if we would have to cancel this vacation before final payment for some reason we can be rest assured of getting ALL our airfare money back also............Am I hoping for to much  on this matter.

Rather have our air arrangements in place earlier then waiting last minute with higher prices and less availability?

So am I thinking right on all this or am I way off? How do others handle this, give me the pros and cons of what I hope I can accomplish on this matter?

Basically yes, they won't have fares on flights until airlines release them, which is typically something like 330 days before hand. But not everything Air2Sea offers will be fully refundable; that's only some subset of what's offered. You'll see little icons identifying the terms when you browse flights, though maybe if you call they can directly look up just the refundable options. And I've seen plenty that are higher than you can get yourself, too, so you would want to balance whatever things Air2Sea offers that would be worth having vs the extra aggravation of a third party and potentially only getting the price difference in a form of non-refundable OBC. Not to mention dealing with all the crazy different fare categories/rules. 🙂

2 hours ago, ryano said:

So, I booked my mom through Air2Sea several months ago and now Im questioning why.  My thinking was its peak hurricane season (September 1) and if her flight is delayed they will get her to the ship.  I see there are no absolute guarantees on that as someone posted above.   

Correct, no guarantees. It's not possible to guarantee that...admittedly they will do their best, but often they may it sound like a guarantee when it's anything but. The next stop may be a place that doesn't have a commercial airport, or all the flights are full, or whatever other reason. I'm not saying this can't happen to someone who books flights on their own, but on the Cruise Air forum we're constantly coming across people who think (because the cruise lines make it sound like) their cruise line will hold the ship or guarantee they will get on at the next port, and that's simply not possible to guarantee.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crzndeb said:

I have found for 1 way international, ChoiceAir is much better. I paid $1100 for Business class from Seattle to Copenhagen last year. Booking directly with airlines was in the $3-4K range. Coach was really inexpensive ($300-400).

I wouldn’t use it for domestic, but for international, I think it’s great.

Yes, one-way international is where the price savings are. But I wouldn't expect too much, if any, savings on roundtrip flights (including multi-city itineraries, for example US to London, and Paris to US, which are often going to be priced similar to a traditional roundtrip).

2 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

Yes, one-way international is where the price savings are. But I wouldn't expect too much, if any, savings on roundtrip flights (including multi-city itineraries, for example US to London, and Paris to US, which are often going to be priced similar to a traditional roundtrip).

We booked two one way tickets between Copenhagen and Orlando. Ended up around 2 grand for the roundtrip. 

Can you book choice air and then say change your mind and book your own air if you see a good price say 4 months out. Would you be charged somekind of cancel fee? or is there a way to get all your money back ?

7 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Can you book choice air and then say change your mind and book your own air if you see a good price say 4 months out. Would you be charged somekind of cancel fee? or is there a way to get all your money back ?

I believe the $15 or $25 per person service fee is non-refundable.  However, if you book fully refundable fares, you should get all the rest back.  Plus, some fares don't require payment until cruise final payment, so cancelling one of those fares would not even require a credit card refund.

• Thanks 1

FYI, I was looking at choice air's fares... from ATL to FLL.... The original plan was to drive... but when I saw economy for $158/pp round trip... I jumped at it.... when they sent me my invoice... I noticed a $200 cancellation fee. I did find out that if...after final payment we decided to, say ... change out a passenger on the cruise... that it would cost $200 to cancel the one airline ticket. So if you use this service, which I do recommend... do look at your invoice for any surprises. My only negative comment is that the agent should have noted this additional... potential charge.

We were able to go to Delta's site to select seats... as a side note... I have gotten cheap fairs from Delta directly...only to discover that the class... basic economy, does not allow you to pick seats in advance.

3 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I believe the $15 or $25 per person service fee is non-refundable.  However, if you book fully refundable fares, you should get all the rest back.  Plus, some fares don't require payment until cruise final payment, so cancelling one of those fares would not even require a credit card refund.

Thats sounds like it would work for us. I guess if we use them, best to ask ALOT of questions upfront so there are no surprises later.

14 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

Correct, no guarantees. It's not possible to guarantee that...admittedly they will do their best, but often they may it sound like a guarantee when it's anything but. The next stop may be a place that doesn't have a commercial airport, or all the flights are full, or whatever other reason. I'm not saying this can't happen to someone who books flights on their own, but on the Cruise Air forum we're constantly coming across people who think (because the cruise lines make it sound like) their cruise line will hold the ship or guarantee they will get on at the next port, and that's simply not possible to guarantee.

Yeah, that makes sense. Our first stop is Coco Cay.  Then a sea day.  It isnt until day 4 when we get to St Thomas that she could join the ship and the cruise is half over.   Not sure what I was thinking here.  

16 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Cruise is set for July 31st, 2020.........but we will be doing a DIY land tour prior to the cruise some where around July 24th...........

I guess then we can't even start looking at airfare prices for about 3 more weeks, is that correct? Is that how it works?

Correct, fares are available starting about 330 days prior.  If you are booking it all on one ticket with multicity routing, you need to wait til it's 330 days prior to your return flight dates.

15 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

Also, if for example, you're doing a Caribbean cruise and don't have a passport, but the next port is not a US port, you would need a passport to fly.  The cruise line can't help you with that so you'd be stuck.   Or the first day or two of the cruise could be sea days, which means even if the airline can get you to the first port, you could still miss 2 or 3 days of your cruise.

13 hours ago, kearney said:

as a side note... I have gotten cheap fairs from Delta directly...only to discover that the class... basic economy, does not allow you to pick seats in advance.

If you are booking directly with Delta, it should be very clear that you are booking Basic Economy.  It shows up in the search as a separate fare class from Main Cabin, Comfort+ etc.

Is Air2Sea the same program that is used by Celebrity?   I just posted a question on that board - we need to book two one-way trips from Florida to Santiago, and then Buenos Aires to Florida for next Christmas to take a South American cruise.  It sounds like this would be ideal situation to book using Air2Sea.  

waterbug123... I misspoke... I booked flight not directly with Delta... with with online service other than choice air. ... If I recall correctly... basic economy might have been relatively new class... anyway it was not clear at the time..what the restrictions were...so after booking..went to delta sight to select seats.. that is when I discovered the limitations. Normally I do not care...but DH needs wheelchair assistance and I wanted to make sure we had him situated in an isle seat... Long story short.. I reached out to delta and they helped me out. I only wanted to warn people to be careful.. that sometimes when booking online you can find limitations you did not expect. Now from what I have seen Choice air does not seem to have basic economy as an option... which should help prevent this problem.

2 minutes ago, RSLeesburg said:

Is Air2Sea the same program that is used by Celebrity?   I just posted a question on that board - we need to book two one-way trips from Florida to Santiago, and then Buenos Aires to Florida for next Christmas to take a South American cruise.  It sounds like this would be ideal situation to book using Air2Sea.  

Yes, same program.

This  may be a stupid question, will they adjust air prices for same exact itinerary if prices go down like they do for  the cruise up until final payment..............or would someone just cancel the the first booked plans and rebook at the lower rate...........say the price of the flights went down $200 total..........and if they charge you a fee to cancel the first plans like $25 per person........you still would be $150 ahead with rebooking. Do people do that? or is booking flights with a one  time only ? take it  or cancel and never a chance to rebook a second time?

Just now, Jimbo said:

This  may be a stupid question, will they adjust air prices for same exact itinerary if prices go down like they do for  the cruise up until final payment..............or would someone just cancel the the first booked plans and rebook at the lower rate...........say the price of the flights went down $200 total..........and if they charge you a fee to cancel the first plans like $25 per person........you still would be $150 ahead with rebooking. Do people do that? or is booking flights with a one  time only ? take it  or cancel and never a chance to rebook a second time?

I've not done this lately, so I don't know if the procedure is still the same.  In the past, they would lower the air price, but would also re-price the cruise. 

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I've not done this lately, so I don't know if the procedure is still the same.  In the past, they would lower the air price, but would also re-price the cruise. 

I'm not understanding that? I thought cruise price and air prices are 2 completely different things............ so if they lower your air price, they might raise your cruise price? or reprice your cruise at the current price? that could be a deal breaker if you booked your cruise and got a great lower price then current prices......

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

I'm not understanding that? I thought cruise price and air prices are 2 completely different things............ so if they lower your air price, they might raise your cruise price? or reprice your cruise at the current price? that could be a deal breaker if you booked your cruise and got a great lower price then current prices......

Correct, that was their way (again, this was a few years back) of discouraging people from wanting to change the air price.  The air costs go on the cruise invoice, it's all part of the same booking to Royal.

40 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

For Book Now, Pay Later Refundable reservations, there's no fee to change or cancel up until 90 days before sailing date (the booking fee is not refundable -- $15 or $25 depending on domestic or international reservations). For the nonrefundable fares, it's whatever the airline offers in the way of credits towards a future booking or charges for changes, which varies by airline and class of service.

Edited by dswallow

1 hour ago, dswallow said:

For Book Now, Pay Later Refundable reservations, there's no fee to change or cancel up until 90 days before sailing date (the booking fee is not refundable -- $15 or $25 depending on domestic or international reservations). For the nonrefundable fares, it's whatever the airline offers in the way of credits towards a future booking or charges for changes, which varies by airline and class of service.

Well then that doesn't sound to bad............what about when you change air plans? do they reprice your cruise portion  at the current price or leave it as it was?

4 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Well then that doesn't sound to bad............what about when you change air plans? do they reprice your cruise portion  at the current price or leave it as it was?

I've not had occasion to make a change, but I've never seen that mentioned before and never seen anything among all the FAQs or terms and conditions I've read related to Air2Sea. 

20 hours ago, kearney said:

Now from what I have seen Choice air does not seem to have basic economy as an option... which should help prevent this problem.

I'd be very wary of making that assumption.  As Basic Economy and Main Cabin are both just different forms of an economy class ticket, it's very possible that booking "economy," "standard economy," "regular economy," or however else economy tickets show on the Air2Sea site, you could get anything that might fall into that category, including Basic Economy.  I'm almost certain people have reported exactly that happening to them.  Very similar to the reports of folks who booked premium economy and ended up with comfort+ or another airline's version of that, which is NOT the same as true premium economy.  The issue seems/seemed to be that Air2Sea isn't set up to show a category that fits the comfort+/economy+/economycomfort type products so they lump them into premium economy.

You might be correct... but on my last choiceair.... I got a terrific fare of about $158 round trip ATL - FLL and was able to reserve seating. When I did this on another online booker...when I went to Delta... I could not do so...that is when I learned about basic economy. But you are correct... would be a question to ask when booking. You got me thinking... I wonder if my discounted fare is in fact basic economy...but perhaps using choice air I am still allowed to book seats? The fare is too good to be regular economy.