Family's statement on toddler's cruise death

Pauser

52 minutes ago, UFMOM said:

This.   I think this explanation makes the most sense. Grandpa lifts her up to see out so explains why he is at the one open window because the others are tinted and he wants her to be able to see out. So, of course, he knew the window was open. But he thinks he has a good grip on her. She’s a little heavy, so he braces her feet on the railing to take some of the weight, still holding on tight. Child not knowing there was no glass, lunges to try to bang on it, maybe even pushing off the railing with her feet. Takes grandpa by surprise, he loses his grip and out she goes. Toddlers can be very strong and if she had sunscreen on slippery .He thought he had a good grip.  Poor choices, but I could see it happening. Of course, the lawyer is twisting this to try to show neigliance because that is what they do. Btw DD and SIL are both lawyers.  A horrible tragic accident that can happen in an instant. Praying for the family.

Mary Ann

I agree, this explanation makes the most sense.   If a toddler pushes hard with her legs, sometimes there's no controlling her.  No negligence, no old brain, no bad vision.    Just a horrible accident that changes their lives forever.  And something that he'd probably give his own life to get that moment back.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, CruisinRoxy said:

Really?  when your brain gets old?  How do you know how old he is?  He could be in his sixties, as a grandpa,  and I can assure you, as a member of that decade, I know the difference between glass and air.   

Well some people get dementia, hope you never have to experience a loved one getting it, at first it is subtle.  Believe me I wish I did not know anything about the ravish of dementia.

1 minute ago, Newleno said:

Well some people get dementia, hope you never have to experience a loved one getting it, at first it is subtle.  Believe me I wish I did not know anything about the ravish of dementia.

Well, certainly, medical conditions such as dementia, would be an entirely different entity.   Not simply aging.   

2 minutes ago, CruisinRoxy said:

I agree, this explanation makes the most sense.   If a toddler pushes hard with her legs, sometimes there's no controlling her.  No negligence, no old brain, no bad vision.    Just a horrible accident that changes their lives forever.  And something that he'd probably give his own life to get that moment back.  

Well unless it was intentional, i dont see how anyone could say it was not negligent. 

• Like 2

So just saw the lawyers video statement, according to him, the grandfather lifted the child up on the railing, thinking the window was closed, then for a brief moment in time the grandfather let go, "he lets go of her for a second and she is and she's gone"

22 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

What I don't understand is while they are grieving the death of their child, the first thing they do, probably before they bury her, is to call an attorney. Just shows what our society has come to:  blame someone else and try to make money.  Sad.

May the little girl RIP.

More likely the lawyer called them.  He's a maritime lawyer in Florida who specializes in suing the cruise industry.

The family is from Indiana.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, marazad16 said:

The child's mother is a lawyer. She also used to be the deputy prosecutor for St Joseph County. It always saddens me when you hear stories of the family suing long before the family has even grieved their loss. 

Based on this..... @Maya1234 posts in 35 and 42 has some valid insight as to why hire a lawyer so quickly....  the mother would know the playbook the prosecution would be using to go after the grandfather. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

This is the area on deck 11 (it's a kids pool/splash zone). At 2:22 you can see the open windows. Pretty easy to see that some are glass and some are not, but still a tragedy no matter who/what was at fault!

Thank you for posting this.  I’ve never sailed rc land have been trying to figure out what on earth happened.  

3 hours ago, Newleno said:

Well unless it was intentional, i dont see how anyone could say it was not negligent. 

I mean, some things are genuinely accidents, even if we have an automatic desire to cast blame / exact retribution. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, perditax said:

I mean, some things are genuinely accidents, even if we have an automatic desire to cast blame / exact retribution. 

That all depends on how one defines accident.  Was the outcome intended. no?  Was there an action that directly led to the outcome, always. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

I'm surprised it didn't show up on the Cruise News section.

GC

Is Cruise Critic covering up for the cruise line? Perhaps Cruise Critic and the cruise lines have too cozy a relationship.

On 7/9/2019 at 7:12 PM, Birdie And Sue said:

That is one of the biggest problems with society today.  Always looking to blame someone else for your own stupidity.  All they have to do is have grandpa look in a mirror.

This^^^^^^^

2 hours ago, Birdie And Sue said:

That all depends on how one defines accident.  Was the outcome intended. no?  Was there an action that directly led to the outcome, always. 

I guess, if you need to view life as completely black and white in order to get through the day. 

• Like 1

As a grandparent, can anyone please take the time to imagine how HE must feel??  Please stop to think about that. I cannot even go to that place as a grandma to twin granddaughters. RIP little one, I’m sure Grandpa feels devastated and would trade places in a moment, I know I would. 

• Like 1

Very sad.  

We all make mistakes.  The luckier ones make mistakes that have little consequences.  But once a while someone makes a mistake that is life changing in the worst way.  

RIP, little one.  My condolences to the family.  

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 7:25 PM, cruisingator2 said:

I have been on those ships including the one in the video. I recall that some of the windows slide open for ventilation. A child that age would have to be helped up to that height.

Agree....in addition, the windows are tinted green making it easier to tell when they are in the open position.  Regardless, this is such a tragedy.  Can't even imagine the pain of this family.  Prayers for all:(

28 minutes ago, Sailor Taylor said:

Probably a lapse of judgement in a fraction of a second by an elderly man.  Paid the ultimate price.  

And some of the replies in this thread.  SMH.  Reminds me why I don't like this particular board.  

Totally agree.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, lovemycruisetoo said:

As a grandparent, can anyone please take the time to imagine how HE must feel??  Please stop to think about that. I cannot even go to that place as a grandma to twin granddaughters. RIP little one, I’m sure Grandpa feels devastated and would trade places in a moment, I know I would. 

I think a huge majority have shown compassion to the grandfather and family..... the main bullet in this thread revolves around the immediate lawyering up and putting blame elsewhere.

Although reading @maya1234 posts and the lawyering up makes complete sense as a defense strategy

Edited by esm54687

5 hours ago, Sailor Taylor said:

Probably a lapse of judgement in a fraction of a second by an elderly man.  Paid the ultimate price.  

And some of the replies in this thread.  SMH.  Reminds me why I don't like this particular board.  

I can understand why you feel the way you do, but people are just giving their honest opinion which is what I have always admired about CC. yes, some can be a pain in the you know what, some are very judgmental and some replies should be deleted, but overall I don't know of a better cruise site that is any different or as good. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, molole said:

Very sad.  

We all make mistakes.  The luckier ones make mistakes that have little consequences.  But once a while someone makes a mistake that is life changing in the worst way.  

RIP, little one.  My condolences to the family.  

I agree.  The family, as well as the Grandfather are surely devastated.  I think what most are reacting to is the effort to paint the cruise line as the cause of this tragedy.  This certainly does not seem to be the case based on the evidence we've seen/heard so far.

About CC deleting negative news/reviews regarding Royal Caribbean.  I have sailed RCCL (and NCL, MSC, Carnival, HAL, Celebrity).  I have seen a certain amount of "protection" by CC regarding Royal.  Not sure why, or what sort of relationship CC has with Royal, but it does seem they whitewash Royal's foibles/negatives.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me.  As a passenger on many cruise lines, the bias does seem obvious. though.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

I can understand why you feel the way you do, but people are just giving their honest opinion which is what I have always admired about CC. yes, some can be a pain in the you know what, some are very judgmental and some replies should be deleted, but overall I don't know of a better cruise site that is any different or as good. 

Agreed!