RCCL & TA?

We have only used a TA once and it didn’t go well, so I book all our cruises direct with Royal.

I know we are losing out on some good perks, but I can’t seem to find a good TA.  We do not have any local ones here so it would have to be an online agency...

Maybe one of these days I will get brave and try again...😳😳

On 7/14/2019 at 9:44 PM, Nemomof3 said:

For us it would have to be a lot. We have only booked once with a TA but twice there was a price drop and we couldn't get a hold of the TA so no drop for us. I didn't feel she did anything to help we haven't had any problems booking ourselves if we did I would consider a TA again.

That is why I use the TA I do.  I wanted one who would check for price drops, and take care of them for me.

I travel a lot internationally, so it is not easy to check and call to get the lower price.

What happens when there are no price reductions?? From my experience price reductions are scarcer then hen's teeth unless you grossly overpaid at booking. We have a B2B on Celebrity Equinox next month. We are getting a total of $1,150 in refundable obc from our on line travel agent. I saw no price drops since we booked. We paid exactly what we would have if we booked directly with Celebrity. Yes, this is a suite, hence the big obc.

On 7/11/2019 at 9:08 AM, not-enough-cruising said:

If your TA is charging the exact same price as RCI direct, I would shop my business around to a different agent

TA cannot charge you less than Royal unless they are giving you a group rate for cabins they have booked under a group.  TA's can give you perks, but the fare is the fare.  I am a TA and I cannot make the fare less than booking with Royal direct, I can just take care of my clients and make sure everything is good with their cruise.

43 minutes ago, karena1 said:

TA cannot charge you less than Royal unless they are giving you a group rate for cabins they have booked under a group.  TA's can give you perks, but the fare is the fare.  I am a TA and I cannot make the fare less than booking with Royal direct, I can just take care of my clients and make sure everything is good with their cruise.

My TA just takes the OBC off of the total price of the cruise. So, I am paying less for the cruise but receive no OBC.  I think it is better to take $300 off of the cruise instead of waiting to use it on the cruise.

4 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

My TA just takes the OBC off of the total price of the cruise. So, I am paying less for the cruise but receive no OBC.  I think it is better to take $300 off of the cruise instead of waiting to use it on the cruise.

I like that too, but I'm curious about the logistics on how they end up charging you less for the cruise?  Is your credit card being charged by the TA and then the TA sends the money to Royal?

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

I like that too, but I'm curious about the logistics on how they end up charging you less for the cruise?  Is your credit card being charged by the TA and then the TA sends the money to Royal?

If so, I would NOT like this.

6 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

My TA does this and there are two separate credit card charges, one directly to RCI and one for their commission.

3 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

That's an interesting question.  When I make my final cruise payment, my card is charged from HAL.  However, it seems that the TA also submits a charge using their credit card around the same time as my final payment (for the amount I am saving).  This must be how the TA gets their commission from HAL.

58 minutes ago, karena1 said:

Not sure how they do it, all I know is I always pay less than what I see on the RCCL website, plus get the booking perks; I am very grateful. 

57 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

You are not paying less, you are using the obc to prepay the gratuities. Do the math, no matter how you do it, you are paying exactly the same. If it works for you, fine, but it's just smoke and mirrors.

3 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

okay, but it is still what I am saying.  They have to charge the price and then they can use OBC and such to make your payment lower

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Not sure how they do it, all I know is I always pay less than what I see on the RCCL website, plus get the booking perks; I am very grateful. 

That means they are giving you some of their commissions.  I do the same thing, just give my clients OBC to use on a cruise.  I cannot do what they do as I am small.  What I do that many TAs don't do is watch for price breaks and give them to my clients if I see them

Thread starter here

For what's it's worth I used a TA.   One I have used in the past.

The rate was $530 less than RCI & 6 other TA's that quoted me. They said they had a group rate on this cruise.

It was $974 p.p. plus 149.00 OBC for a D2 guarantee balcony.  Oasis of the Seas 4-26-19

We were very pleased with this offer and in the end that's what matter.  

P.S.  I only put a deposit down but my CC was charged to Royal Caribbean INC

Edited by Bases5

2 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

You are not paying less, you are using the obc to prepay the gratuities. Do the math, no matter how you do it, you are paying exactly the same. If it works for you, fine, but it's just smoke and mirrors.

I might be wrong, depending on category booked and length of cruise, you might be over paying. If you book a junior suite, or below, and your cruise is seven days, the total gratuities for two is $203. Take the $300 obc and after the $203 is taken off, that still leaves you with $97 to spend on what you like, a couple of drinks, dinner for two in a specialty restaurant just to mention a few. 

Longer cruises and higher category of cabins changes the results.

12 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

That's not right. You should be charged by Royal Caribbean and that's all

Just because they do it differently doesn’t mean it’s wrong. Just to clarify, as an example, on a $1000 RCI published fare I pay RCI $850 and $50 to the TA. Most TAs would provide that $100 discount in perks, like OBC. My TA just gives it to me up front. 

2 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

It's not smoke and mirrors, it's as clear as day. Here are the exact details for an upcoming booking on Oasis for February 2020, 8D cabin, you pick the room.

If booked online through RCCL website $1665 fare per guest, $137.40 taxes and fees, BOGO50 Promo -$536.50 = $1238.90 per person NON REFUNDABLE.

Booking same exact room through my TA $624 fare, $349.17 taxes and fees = $973.17 FULLY REFUNDABLE. I also received a $75.00 OBC from the TA

On 7/17/2019 at 5:44 PM, karena1 said:

That means they are giving you some of their commissions.  I do the same thing, just give my clients OBC to use on a cruise.  I cannot do what they do as I am small.  What I do that many TAs don't do is watch for price breaks and give them to my clients if I see them

You sound like my TA.

She gives some OBC.  And monitors for price drops.  And gives GREAT, FAST, service.  Like when her OBC came through incorrect.  I emailed, and she was on it inside of 15 minutes.

On 7/17/2019 at 6:08 PM, Biker19 said:

Just because they do it differently doesn’t mean it’s wrong. Just to clarify, as an example, on a $1000 RCI published fare I pay RCI $850 and $50 to the TA. Most TAs would provide that $100 discount in perks, like OBC. My TA just gives it to me up front. 

Sounds like to me both you and Royal are paying the TA commission. That's fishy

Edited by cruisinfanatic

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Don't know how much, if any, the TA gets from RCI. 

TA's don't charge their customer a commission, EVER unless they charge a booking fee. This seems to be your case. You are actually paying for some of the discount the TA says they are giving you

Royal Caribbean and all the others pay TA's, not the client

Edited by cruisinfanatic

20 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

TA's don't charge their customer a commission, EVER unless they charge a booking fee.

1. Be careful with using absolutes, it seems like someone comes up with an exception (like I have).

2. Just because RCI does it one way with most TAs, that's no necessarily the only way.

Biker, who doesn't pay a booking fee.