Dress code tee shirts

gizfish

On cruise casual nights when the dress code says no tee shirts, I just wanted some clarification.  Does that mean if I show up at the MDR in a Hard Rock or Margaritaville tee shirt, that is not okay.  Or does no tee shirts mean more along the lines of no undershirt or "wife beater" style tees?

7 minutes ago, gizfish said:

On cruise casual nights when the dress code says no tee shirts, I just wanted some clarification.  Does that mean if I show up at the MDR in a Hard Rock or Margaritaville tee shirt, that is not okay.  Or does no tee shirts mean more along the lines of no undershirt or "wife beater" style tees?

It means no t-shirts whatsoever. A collard shirt, or even a polo shirt will suffice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We follow the dress code, but I can assure you that on “elegant” night in MDR- people were wearing printed tees, shorts, and flip flops (and not to be confused with a dressier “flip flop”). I would not allow my son or husband to wear screen printed T-shirt’s to MDR even on a casual night. They would wear a short sleeved button up or polo. But many others do. And at the end of the day, we all coexisted and had a nice meal! 

Edited by lensonlife
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Doggielover68 said:

My husband wears screen printed cruise t shirts to the MDR every night except elegant night. He is not in the minority. 

I completely agree. I see tons of screen printed shirts people buy in ports that they wear. 

Wear what you want, its your vacation.

I have worn shorts on elegant night before and never had an issue.

I dont care what others are thinking about what I wear and what others wear has zero impact on me.

You are on vacation, on a cruise in the Caribbean, you can only pack so many cloths. Besides, the Carnival MDR isn't exactly a 4 or 5 star restaurant. Its the same as going into TGIFridays, Chilis or Applebees.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, coevan said:

I'm with you Philly, more collared shirts than not. I just don't understand if people wear crap on purpose to stir the pot or they are just disrespectful. I really dislike the "anything goes" on Carnival mantra. This is mostly untrue, but some think rules don't apply to them. 

Totally agree. This has been our experience.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, JaxsMama said:

You make a good point...the funtimes says casual or elegant with no description. I would assume a t shirt and flip flops would be fine for a casual dinner. 

When did elegant nights stop having a suggested clothes description in the Fun Times? 

Edited by sanmarcosman

24 minutes ago, Doggielover68 said:

"Lower demographic," nice.

Maybe there is a difference between assigned dining and your time dining, because I see tons of shorts and t shirts at your time dining. Have never had assigned seating. Before you go and complain about people not following the rules, you should realize that the "dress code" is not obviously posted anywhere. Sure, people talk about it here, it's buried in the FAQ, etc but there are no signs on the ship, no info in the fun times on casual nights, etc. When we went on our first cruise, I had no idea that the MDR even existed let alone had a dress code. We saw other people dressed the same as us, casual, and assumed that was the norm as no one (crew) said otherwise. 

The dress code is clearly defined on Carnival’s web page and on the home page of the Carnival Hub App. Additionally, the top of page one of every Fun Times tells you if the dress code is casual or elegant that day.

I understand that some people dress extremely casual in the MDR on Carnival.  The point I don’t agree with is that the majority of people wear tee shirts to the MDR. I have been on 30 cruises on Carnival (cruise 31 next month) and I have never seen anything close to even a small minority wearing tee shirts in the MDR. 

If your husband wants to wear tee shirts to the MDR most likely no one is going to say anything. And what someone else wears to the MDR has never impacted my dining experience. But to say the majority of people dress the way your husband does is flat out wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

When did elegant nights stop having a suggested clothes description in the Fun Times? 

I checked all mine from January and there wasn't one for elegant or casual. 

Edited by JaxsMama

1 minute ago, coevan said:

I rest my case. So the rules clearly say no shorts and you say?  

I say I am comfortable while I eat dinner on a vacation I paid for.

Does somebody wearing shorts to dinner make your food taste any different?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The dress code is clearly defined on Carnival’s web page and on the home page of the Carnival Hub App. Additionally, the top of page one of every Fun Times tells you if the dress code is casual or elegant that day.

I understand that some people dress extremely casual in the MDR on Carnival.  The point I don’t agree with is that the majority of people wear tee shirts to the MDR. I have been on 30 cruises on Carnival (cruise 31 next month) and I have never seen anything close to even a small minority wearing tee shirts in the MDR. 

If your husband wants to wear tee shirts to the MDR most likely no one is going to say anything. And what someone else wears to the MDR has never impacted my dining experience. But to say the majority of people dress the way your husband does is flat out wrong. 

I barely use the Carnival website except for making payments and booking excursions. And the hub app said casual or elegant. On elegant night it provides more details. Casual night says nothing on the app. 16 cruises in 5 years. I guess I must be blind. 

no, but it's disrespectful, rude and against the rules, so why? We have seen people turned away in shorts on elegant night, kind of hope it's you next time. Would you, argue, change clothes or eat elsewhere? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, coevan said:

no, but it's disrespectful, rude and against the rules, so why? We have seen people turned away in shorts on elegant night, kind of hope it's you next time. Would you, argue, change clothes or eat elsewhere? 

Its the same as going to Chilis, its far from fine dining. Not rude or disrespectful at all. Crusing on Carnival and RCI has become more relaxed and laid back over the last 10 years. They are trying to attract the younger people and forcing people to dress up for dinner does not do that. Not like I am going in wearing a swimsuit which I have seen in the MDR before on Carnival a few times.

19 cruises on Carnival and RCI and never turned away for wearing shorts to diner on either one.

• Like 1

I don't think it really matters. Wear whatever you want. Nobody really cares. I'm someone who follows rules and tries to conform to whatever guidelines people request, but that's me. What I might think is appropriate for the MDR may not be what other people define as okay. So, from what we've seen lately, anything goes today, so just enjoy your cruise.

35 minutes ago, coevan said:

I would just keep walking to my table. There is no way the maitre d is running me down and causing a scene.  I've definitely worn shorts and a t shirt for elegant night and it was all of nothing.  Nobody cares. Hardly anyone even dresses up anymore. 

• Like 1

We are platinum on Carnival. My husband wears his Kentucky Derby t shirts every night except elegant night into the MDR! I have NEVER heard that t shirts were not allowed and NO one has ever said a word about it!

He wears a shirt with a collar on elegant night but other nights you can wear what you please!! Please show me wear the dress code says NO t shirts on cruise CASUAL nights?????

Edited by riffatsea

This is from the carnival website faqs on what to wear.  It actually does say on cruise casual that tee shirts are not permitted.  Not to further stir things up, but I have an issue with that, since there isn't even going to be a tablecloth on the table that night lol.

What to Wear - Evening Attire

Following is the dress code in the main dining room(s) for both men, women and children:

“Cruise Casual” Dress Code

• Men: sports slacks, khakis, jeans, long dress shorts and collared polo shirts
  • Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, jeans blouses and tops
  • Not permitted: cut-off jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Be sure to bring a red or blue outfit or a top for our Mega Deck Party.

“Cruise Elegant” Dress Code (formal evenings)

• 2-day to 5-day cruise: one “Cruise Elegant” evening
  • 6-day or longer cruise: two “Cruise Elegant” evenings

The first “Cruise Elegant” evening is scheduled for the second or third evening of the cruise and the second “Cruise Elegant” evening is the second or third evening prior to the end of the cruise, itinerary schedule permitting.

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted: jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

• Like 1

My reason for starting this thread was not to stir things up, as we all know dress code is always a heated topic.  I just wanted to know whether printed tee shirts are allowed by carnival, or would I be turned away from the MDR for rocking a favorite tie-dye ; )  I know there are lots of OPINIONS on what's okay, and I know I opened myself up to hearing them all lol.  The definition of flip flops varies.  The ones worn to the beach will likely get turned away.  But if you bedazzle them, good chance they are allowed.  DH in his fruit of the loom v neck really SHOULD be turned away.  But do I get in wearing my Carnival cruise line "got mojito" shirt or not?  Honestly, others judgement of what I am wearing isn't a concern.  In the words of Ru Paul, "what people think about me is none of my business."  I just wanted to know from others EXPERIENCE what the definition of "it" was ; )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I follow the dress code, but I don't care about anyone else. When people say it negatively affects their dining experience when they see someone wearing something that is against the dress code, I think they should lighten up. I'll people-watch in the MDR, but most of the time I'm too busy enjoying my meal, meaning both the food and the people I'm dining with, to worry about what other people are wearing.

When some speak out against shorts, I'm not sure what kind of shorts they're referring to. I'll often wear khaki shorts and a nice shirt on casual nights. Not necessarily a collared shirt, but still nice. If my khaki shorts offend you in the MDR, please tell me. That way I can request a table next to you next time.

2 hours ago, riffatsea said:

Please show me wear the dress code says NO t shirts on cruise CASUAL nights?????

Since Carnival redesigned their FAQ's, we can't link directly to a page anymore, so I'll just leave this here...

“Cruise Casual” Dress Code

• Not permitted: cut-off jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Just go to https://www.carnival.com/help and scroll down to "What to wear."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This thread is bizarre (like many here).

For anyone sitting in front of a computer and posting to this forum to say they don't know how to find the dress codes on the Carnival site, well, that's amazing.

And for anyone to say "it's my vacation, I'll do what I want".  Think long and hard about how far other people may push that, and as a result what you then would not like to see/hear/experience.  

• Like 8

I've seen just about everything in the MDR for dinner except swimsuits -- shorts, t-shirts, flip-flops, ballcaps, ball shorts.  Including "elegant" night, when you will likely see at least one tux.  Personally, I stick with khakis, collared shirt, and closed shoes.

I can honestly say that what other people choose to wear does not at all affect the taste of my food, the conversation around my table, or my enjoyment of the evening.