My Time Dining

Some one told me you had to make reservations for MYD. (Really) That kind of goes against the concept. IMHO.

So if you do can you make them on the hub app? 

Do you make them the day of, day before? 

Is it hard to get a table for 2 for my time dining, without a  reservation? I traveled with a group of 3 a few months ago on another cruise line, and we had zero wait time for a table for 3. But a couple of times, I had other plans and the others tried to get a table for two and had upwards of a 40 minute wait. 

I'm traveling with my Mom next month so it'll just be 2 of us again. Should we make reservations to avoid having to wait 30-45 minutes?

59 minutes ago, Bases5 said:

Some one told me you had to make reservations for MYD. (Really) That kind of goes against the concept. IMHO.

You may be urged to make reservations once onboard, but it's all up to you.  No problem just showing up when you want.

42 minutes ago, Cyn874 said:

Is it hard to get a table for 2 for my time dining, without a  reservation? 

No, that's the default, but you may need to wait at peak times - you can avoid this by making reservations.

• Like 1

I am new to my time dining and have read that there will be two lines for people with and without reservations.  If I booked a later reservations (8:15 pm), but want to eat earlier (6 pm),  can I go to the reservations line at the time I would like to eat?  (Tried reserving on Cruise Planner and the only reservations available for our cruise next week is 8:15...  Probably too late for our kids)  Thanks in advance for any help!

2 minutes ago, Rothmbox said:

I am new to my time dining and have read that there will be two lines for people with and without reservations.  If I booked a later reservations (8:15 pm), but want to eat earlier (6 pm),  can I go to the reservations line at the time I would like to eat?  (Tried reserving on Cruise Planner and the only reservations available for our cruise next week is 8:15...  Probably too late for our kids)  Thanks in advance for any help!

If you are not arriving at your reservation time, then you don't have a reservation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

If you are not arriving at your reservation time, then you don't have a reservation.

Thanks for the quick reply.  Do more dining times open up at the start of the cruise or would you recommend speaking to someone to arrange another reservation time?

21 minutes ago, Rothmbox said:

Thanks for the quick reply.  Do more dining times open up at the start of the cruise or would you recommend speaking to someone to arrange another reservation time?

I recommend going to the dining room as soon as you board and trying to make reservations there.  If they cannot help you, then I would show up when you want to eat.

On 7/14/2019 at 3:16 PM, Bases5 said:

I traveled solo on Ovation in May and was seated immediately the 3 or 4 nights I ate in the MTD room, all at random times.

If you like to eat a specific time or want to eat before a show then make reservations, if you want to go eat when you feel like it, then the wait shouldn't be to long for a 2. Its the larger tables that take longer to free up.

The advantage of a reservation is you might be able to request a table looking out on the ocean.

A-

I just returned from July 7 HOTS.  We did (2) mytime with and without reserations.  It works best with, but if you go earlier around 5:45.  American Icon was a "hot mess"  IMO.  

First night was a ZOO.

Edited by Judyrem

I've done it both ways.  Yes, you can make reservations, and it's strongly recommended if you're sailing with a big group.  There are 8 of us going on Freedom of the Seas in October, and we've sailed together before.  We make a reservation for the group for the same time, same table, every night of the cruise.  We choose My Time because we like to eat at a different time than the Early or Late seating.

However, I've also cruised with just 2 people in my party, and it's easy to pop in and get a table, though on occasion, I've had to wait 5-10 minutes for a table.  No biggie....I just grab a drink while I wait.  

Keep in mind that there are plenty of 2- and 4-top tables, and only a handful of larger tables.  That should guide you on whether or not to make a reservation.

I prefer the comfort of knowing I have a table reserved. and sometimes, even with a reservation you have a small wait.  I don't see how reservations go against the concept of MTD.  If "early" is too early and late is "too late" then being able to reserve a table at 7PM is dining on my time 🙂

Edited by Queen of Oakville
  • Like 1

On our most recent cruise on Allure (April 2019) the walk up line had a wait of about 45 minutes at around  8 pm .

We saw this on two occasions. Luckily we had reserved our times. We usually book times between 8 pm to 8:30 pm as we do enjoy a little bar hopping for pre dinner cocktails. 

WE use to do the walk up but find the wait is getting longer and longer to get a table (On the Oasis class ships) so we do make reservations now. 

We never have trouble getting a table for two.

14 minutes ago, Momto2PrncChrmgs said:

This is probably a repeat question (for some reason, i'm just NOT catching on to this "my time" dining), but if i have a requested time (8:30 - it's all that was available), but want to eat earlier, we can just show up and wait like at a normal restaurant?

Yes, and while there update the time on your booking for following nights.

18 minutes ago, Momto2PrncChrmgs said:

This is probably a repeat question (for some reason, i'm just NOT catching on to this "my time" dining), but if i have a reqested time (8:30 - it's all that was available), but want to eat earlier, we can just show up and wait like at a normal restaurant?

Yes, you can also go to the MDR once you board and they will more than likely help you change your requested times to times you would prefer.  We did this on Liberty last fall and had no trouble getting the times we wanted even though they showed as unavailable on the cruise planner pre-cruise.

5 minutes ago, Giorgi-one said:

We have a cruise booked for Aug 2020.  Any idea when I will be able to book My Time Dining.  I have tried recently on Cruise Planner and it does not give me any option for My Time Dining!

A cruise that far out might not have any/all dining options available to select for a while.  Do you see anything under the Dining tab in the planner?  If not, check back in in a few weeks.

On 7/14/2019 at 6:16 PM, Bases5 said:

There is just the 2 of us, we NEVER make reservations.  To us, the who point of MTD is to go eat when we feel like it.  We look at the Compass each day and see when the shows are and then go eat to make sure we can make them.  We rarely wait more than 5 minutes and always get a 2 top.  We don't care if we have the same waitstaff each night, so that makes the process go faster also.  We love MTD and would never do anything else.

Have "done" My Time several times and always find the first night's wait for the dining room gets confusing/a bit chaotic due to the fact that MT is still not yet understood!  Be patient!

MY TIME allows you to "reserve" your time if you don't book for the specific first or second seating.  Of course you can walk up any time you want, but don't expect to never have to wait in some sort of line without a reservation.  Book on line (calendar) or as early as possible after boarding.  I book different times for different days depending on what I may be doing during the day...early or late shore excursion/a show/a game/exercise routine/cocktails......After the second or third night, once things have settled down a bit, if we decide to go at a different time, we still go to the reservation desk, give our name and usually get right in, tho maybe in a different area of the dining room. We often don't stick exactly to our reserved times.  By the way, be sure to specify what type of table you want...for two, or more.  If more, you may need to list other guests when booking on line.

Good luck!  It really is convenient and quite simple!

• Like 1