Noise near elevators?

katiegirl1264

There is actually a wall between the elevators and cabins. On some, perhaps all decks there is an automatic door which should help keep noises down... I am thinking of the elevator bank in the rear. We try to get a cabin in this area. I have heard some comments about hearing music from the atrium until 10 pm or so. We have been near the elevator and I don't recall hearing anything.

The elevators are in a lobby between the cabin corridors, and there are doors.  They don't open directly into the corridors. So unless someone is having a party there, you are unlikely to notice them.

14 minutes ago, kearney said:

There is actually a wall between the elevators and cabins. On some, perhaps all decks there is an automatic door which should help keep noises down... I am thinking of the elevator bank in the rear. We try to get a cabin in this area. I have heard some comments about hearing music from the atrium until 10 pm or so. We have been near the elevator and I don't recall hearing anything.

There is no wall on M-class ships, but normally the elevators make little noise on any ship.

I was apprehensive when we booked a room by that location on an S-class ship.  We did not hear the music nor people congregating by the elevators.  However, we were bothered by  a supply closet next to our room.  Cabin attendant talking and getting supplies.  

Edited by keesar

1 hour ago, katiegirl1264 said:

Hi

We have a cabin assignment RIGHT in front of the elevators. I'm worried about the noises. 

Has anyone had any experience in these rooms?

Was it okay for sleeping?

Thanks!!

What ship?  It may make a difference!  

• Like 1

On MOST ships, the elevators and stairs are in a FOYER...so the potential "noise" is contained in that space.  The elevators do NOT open into a cabin hallway in most cases.  

Tell us the ship and deck and we can give more help!

The noise we experienced near the elevators was not due to the actual elevators but the congregating of people getting on and off the elevators. This was on a revolutionized ship, Summit.  I would also add that many times people are just loud in the hallway not really thinking of others who might be napping/sleeping. We were also next to a Royal suite that had screaming kids on the balcony early each morning so noise can come from a variety of places. I'm sure people don't realize how loud everything is in close quarters. 

Just my take....I don't think the OP is worried about the noise from the elevators themselves.  The worry is that there will be noise from people using the elevators when they exit.  My opinion is that if there is another cabin with the same features further away, take it!  We have been disturbed many times by hallway conversations and being by the elevator lobby increases the chances of this happening dramatically. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sascol said:

Just my take....I don't think the OP is worried about the noise from the elevators themselves.  The worry is that there will be noise from people using the elevators when they exit.  My opinion is that if there is another cabin with the same features further away, take it!  We have been disturbed many times by hallway conversations and being by the elevator lobby increases the chances of this happening dramatically. 

We were pretty close to the elevators on Edge.  But the cabins are separated from the elevator lobby by a wall.  We never heard noise from the elevators or from people.

I have sailed right outside the elevators a number of times - never had an issue with elevator noise or people noise.   Once or twice we did have noise from the room steward closet when we were right next door to it.  They tended to let the door slam when opening and closing.  But overall love that location - very central so less motion and quick access to elevator and stairs.  

On 7/17/2019 at 7:37 PM, keesar said:

I was apprehensive when we booked a room by that location on an S-class ship.  We did not hear the music nor people congregating by the elevators.  However, we were bothered by  a supply closet next to our room.  Cabin attendant talking and getting supplies.  

You know, I am a bit worried about that... we have a cabin on our next cruise near that area.... so we will see. Ironically the only noise issue we have had on a Celebrity ship (s class and Edge) was when someone left their TV on all night. Now if they had it on music it probably would not have been an issue... but what sounded like the news running in the middle of the night was annoying... the problem was that I could not tell which cabin it was coming from....

1 hour ago, kearney said:

You know, I am a bit worried about that... we have a cabin on our next cruise near that area.... so we will see. Ironically the only noise issue we have had on a Celebrity ship (s class and Edge) was when someone left their TV on all night. Now if they had it on music it probably would not have been an issue... but what sounded like the news running in the middle of the night was annoying... the problem was that I could not tell which cabin it was coming from....

The major issue was that the attendant was at his cart and people were coming by and talking with him.  Once he left the area, it was quiet.  But that is the supply closet for the attendants and is right in the area i.e.  "hump cabins".