Barcelona - Slowest boarding I have ever experienced

Mercruiser

Azamara Pursuit Boarding in Barcelona- July  27, 2019

We arrived at the Barcelona World Trade Center at 1:00 pm. We showed our boarding passes and were given boarding group 24. We were told that actual check in would be on board. When we got to the waiting room, they called group 17

It’s an hour later and they are up to group 20. At this rate, we have another hour to wait.

The waiting area has good AC and enough seating. There is no water, vending machines, or any kind of refreshments available in the waiting area. If you want something, you have to go outside the secure area and find a restaurant.

My wife has left the boarding area and has gone to buy some lunch. We had planned on eating lunch on board. 

I’m not the most experienced cruiser, but I gotta say, this is by far the slowest boarding I have ever experienced.

What’s the slowest boarding you have experienced?

Edited by Mercruiser

Wow!  That is unacceptable. If there was a particular reason for the slowness they should have been updating the passengers. Here's hoping that is the only glitch in your vacation.

Someone on the nearby thread Thoughts from a Novice mentioned this as well.

Never had that issue in Barcelona, something must have been up  - will be interested to hear if you learn of any reason onboard.  Glad Prime C was wonderful, the chateaubriand is our first night in Prime C every time

28 minutes ago, Mercruiser said:

We had a terrific  dinner at Prime C. The chateaubriand was the most tender steak I’ve had in years. Once onboard, Azamara is wonderful.

We also had a poor boarding a few weeks ago at Venice but once onboard - perfect 👌.  Have a fabulous time.

Most time "slow boarding" is caused by local customs and immigration.  Experienced this in Mumbai with Journey once.  Local immigration was being very "careful" and scrutinizing everything and questioning every passenger.  Same in Eilat returning from a tour.  Its usually not the cruise ship's fault and they are aware of the challenges, which is why they complete in processing on board.

There were severe weather conditions in Barcelona yesterday. I read on the RCCL board that top decks were closed off on Explorer of the Seas due to hail stones. Also flooding in the streets, so I imagine maybe there was an outage of electricity which impacted the boarding.

The attached image is at the bottom of Las Ramblas, as posted by a passenger on EotS

977B89AF-B84F-4B3F-B71C-3323B1690E53.jpeg

Edited by upwarduk

Due to the severe weather conditions yesterday Barcelona airport was closed for almost two hours. There were dangerous electrical storms as well as torrential rain and all planes were grounded. They then naturally allowed flights arriving to land before any of us could depart. Not a pleasant two hours on the ground with poor air con as the power was switched off to conserve fuel and angry passengers, particularly those that missed their connections. BA did not provide any free food at all, but they did give us all a small cup of water! 

BA can't do anything about the weather but I do feel they should have given us some free food and drinks. 

56 minutes ago, Lottie A said:

Due to the severe weather conditions yesterday Barcelona airport was closed for almost two hours. There were dangerous electrical storms as well as torrential rain and all planes were grounded. They then naturally allowed flights arriving to land before any of us could depart. Not a pleasant two hours on the ground with poor air con as the power was switched off to conserve fuel and angry passengers, particularly those that missed their connections. BA did not provide any free food at all, but they did give us all a small cup of water! 

BA can't do anything about the weather but I do feel they should have given us some free food and drinks. 

Lottie ,were you on the plane or still in terminal. I have been on different airlines that a guest had to bed for water. Much easier to deplane and find the lounge or go buy food, yes both upset me but worse when there is no lounge.a short two,plane flight in May I had an add on about three hours.

8 minutes ago, ellbon said:

Lottie ,were you on the plane or still in terminal. I have been on different airlines that a guest had to bed for water. Much easier to deplane and find the lounge or go buy food, yes both upset me but worse when there is no lounge.a short two,plane flight in May I had an add on about three hours.

No Robin, we were on the plane and not allowed to get off. Obviously it wouldn't have been a problem if we could have got off the plane and bought food or gone to a lounge. 

• Like 1

Just now, marinaro44 said:

Did anyone ask onboard why the delay?  Maybe doing so in the terminal would have precluded the complaining here.  The weather issue looks formidable in the picture above.

The weather was truly horrendous and it came in very fast. When we boarded the plane it was grey and cloudy and we were told there would be a slight delay but then the lightning storm came in so fast and it was dangerous to take off. No-one had a problem with that of course...safety first. What we did have a problem with was no food or drinks for two hours while sat on a very hot plane. We were given one very small cup of water after several people asked for it and that was all. 

After we eventually took off the cabin crew came around with the Marks&Spencer sandwiches and drinks to purchase and they even ran out of sandwiches before they had got half way along the plane. Luckily I was very near the front so could purchase one of them and some water and peppermint tea. 

It's just not good enough BA! It was a code share with AA and their passengers were going ballistic. They missed their connections and a lot of them had been bumped from Business class to Economy because they amalgamated two flights into one. It was not a happy flight experience at all. I then missed my home coach transfer and arrived home eight hours late, tired and hungry. Not a good end to a lovely cruise on Pursuit. 

21 minutes ago, Lottie A said:

The weather was truly horrendous and it came in very fast. When we boarded the plane it was grey and cloudy and we were told there would be a slight delay but then the lightning storm came in so fast and it was dangerous to take off. No-one had a problem with that of course...safety first. What we did have a problem with was no food or drinks for two hours while sat on a very hot plane. We were given one very small cup of water after several people asked for it and that was all. 

After we eventually took off the cabin crew came around with the Marks&Spencer sandwiches and drinks to purchase and they even ran out of sandwiches before they had got half way along the plane. Luckily I was very near the front so could purchase one of them and some water and peppermint tea. 

It's just not good enough BA! It was a code share with AA and their passengers were going ballistic. They missed their connections and a lot of them had been bumped from Business class to Economy because they amalgamated two flights into one. It was not a happy flight experience at all. I then missed my home coach transfer and arrived home eight hours late, tired and hungry. Not a good end to a lovely cruise on Pursuit. 

In July on both our outbound and return flights BA ran it of sandwiches part way down the plane.

6 hours ago, donaldsc said:

A whole 1 h 45 m wait.  Not a big deal to me.

DON

I remember the days in the 80s before this stuff was computerized, you'd be stuck in that old Fort Lauderdale terminal for Royal Caribbean and Carnival for hours (no air conditioning either).  

6 hours ago, Lottie A said:

No Robin, we were on the plane and not allowed to get off. Obviously it wouldn't have been a problem if we could have got off the plane and bought food or gone to a lounge. 

I have been on three different airlines including BA and  sat on plane once for an hour before deplaning. The other two times was closer to two hours. Each time no offer of water.  I normally carry my own water but not  then on an over seas flight.

Not surprised about the sandwiches but water! surprised you were not in Bus class.   Years ago  I left AZ a day early as my flight was at 2200 hours. That flight we sat for 2 hours before they let us off. I got up out of my seat to watch the flight attendants making calls and talking to the captain. meanwhile outside crew were bringing on water for us.  the attendants just  kept making calls and complaining. i walked back in the plane and  a nice attendant  gave me some of her candy.

Finding more and more airlines do not care about the client.

Oh i am so sorry you were 8 hours late getting home. But I do feel for  the clients missing their flights.  there is one flight a day on BA to ATL so means the same for other cities. you miss your flight you stay in London.   Great city but not when you missed your flight.

1 hour ago, Baynanno1 said:

I could be banished if I wrote my thoughts about BA and their lack of customer service . . .  .

As Lottie says it codeshares with AA.  AA service has gone downhill in general on the plane.  They want to serve fast and hope you go to sleep. On short flights they do not even want to serve cold drinks.

We were lucky on Saturday, although delayed an hour in total before take-off (flying to Liverpool with Easyjet due to depart 11am). The terminal was hot and very crowded and no information was given regarding the delay in boarding. Once on the plane, the pilot told us the delay was due to bad weather affecting incoming flights and that we had then lost our take-off slot. The a/c at least was on although no drinks offered. When we did take-off, it must have been into the oncoming storm as the sky was very black, and there were lightening flashes to be seen. The first 15-20 minutes very bumpy and we banked sharply presumably to avoid the worst of the storm.

On our way out to Rome with Jet2, we were delayed 2.5 hours as the plane broke down but again no drinks or food offered until after take-off and then of course no freebies!

15 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

In July on both our outbound and return flights BA ran it of sandwiches part way down the plane.

Our flights were in June not July but BA poor service in economy seems to be the norm these days, at least on short haul, we have not flown long haul for some time so cannot comment about them.

Edited by Bloodaxe