Taking Melatonin into New Zealand

We will be flying into New Zealand to board our cruise ship.  We regularly use Melatonin when traveling where there is a big difference in time zones.  I have been looking over New Zealand web sites and it appears that Melatonin is a Controlled Substance there and illegal to bring into the country, even though it is purchases over the counter in the US.  Can anyone confirm whether or not we can take it into New Zealand. 

Thank you in advance for any information.

https://www.medsafe.govt.nz/compliance/FAQs.asp

It is illegal to import a prescription medicine without reasonable excuse. If you wish to import this medicine you will need to provide Medsafe with an original signed prescription or letter from a New Zealand doctor.

The quantity must not exceed 3 months supply for prescription medicines (with the exception of oral contraceptives which can be supplied in 6 months quantities).

I would be seeking advice from your doctor ,  most likely you can only take what you will require for the trip and have a doctors certificate to state it is for personal use.

I think the above refers to citizens wanting to import there own medication from an overseas and perhaps unrecognised source. 

If  read on.........

What are the requirements for personal importation of medicines?

Bringing medicines into New Zealand on your person or in luggage
If you are arriving into New Zealand and carrying prescription medicines (other than controlled drugs) either on your person or in your luggage you must ensure: 

• You declare the possession of those medicines on your incoming passenger arrival card which is lawfully required, and inspected, by the New Zealand Customs Service if the quantity of medicines is over 3 months supply or the medicine is not prescribed to you, and
  • You have a copy of the prescription from your doctor, or a letter from your doctor stating that you are being treated with the medicine(s), and
  • You carry the medicine(s) in their original containers, and
  • You have a quantity not exceeding three months supply for prescription medicines (with the exception of oral contraceptives which can be supplied in six month quantities. 

Medicines that are controlled drugs must be declared on the passenger arrival card. The quantity must not exceed one months supply for controlled drugs. For additional information on controlled drugs, contact Medicines Control.

All other medicines including herbal medicines, dietary supplements and over-the-counter medicines may be imported without the above documentation provided they do not contain prescription medicines. Over the counter medicines may only be imported for individual use or for a member of your immediate family. Please note that anything in your possession that might be considered a controlled drug must be declared on your incoming passenger arrival card. If in doubt, declare it.

yes, indeed there is. 

https://www.tga.gov.au/entering-australia

https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/can-you-bring-it-in/categories/medicines-and-substances

The advice always given on this board is if you are bringing any medications (scripts or otc), declare on the form. Bring in original packaging, and a copy of prescription or Dr letter.

2 hours ago, Wisconsin Travelers said:

We will be flying into Sydney for our cruise to New Zealand.  Is there a similar law in Australia regarding prescription and over the counter medications?

You would only be queried if you had a large amount of a particular medication - much more than for personal use. It is probably a good idea to have your medications in their original packaging, but we have never been questioned about medicines.

If in doubt about taking anything across the border declare it. If you are allowed it you will be waved on. If you are not it maybe confiscated and then you are waved on. If you don't declare and you are found to have prohibited items then be prepared for a long wait to get out of customs, sometimes several years

Please excuse this lengthy response.  On another thread that I started about bringing food products into NZ, the conversation moved into comments about medications.  I took the liberty of copying a couple of those comments and am posting them under this thread because I believe the posters have important information that people with an interest in this topic should be aware of.

Poster:  Oh, please tell me the original containers are not necessary when coming into Sydney!  so much bulk!

In the past when traveling to Europe, we have taken a Digital photo of Rx bottle showing our name, prescription name, and dosage, as well as putting a pill next to container.  Will this suffice for Australia so that we can leave the bulky containers at home?  

My Response:  I hope your idea of digital photos is acceptable because that would make life a whole lot easier for us too!  From what I've read on the Australia government website and immigration site, it sounds like they want the whole gigantic container, PLUS a prescription or letter from your doctor listing the name and dosage of each medication.

Let's see what people on the board have to say and keep our fingers crossed!

Another Poster:  We went to New Zealand a couple of years ago and I thought nothing about my blood pressure and cholesterol tablets.

When we landed ,the customs card asked if I had personal medication, I ticked yes.  Talk about a ordeal.

I had the two original boxes in my hand with my name on the boxes

Me and my family were taken into a room and two people with gloves and masks open the boxes. They wanted some further documentation ( which I didn’t have )and I said I didn’t think these would be a issue. They are a common medicine.

They said they are a controlled substance by prescription.

After the supervisor come in and said if we take them of me it will only give me hardship as I would have go find a doctor and get more.

They let me go with a caution.

ORIGINAL PACKAGE AND PRESCRIPTION.

Singapore chewing gum is controlled and codeine will put you trouble.

On 8/5/2019 at 9:34 AM, Docker123 said:

yes, indeed there is. 

https://www.tga.gov.au/entering-australia

https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/can-you-bring-it-in/categories/medicines-and-substances

The advice always given on this board is if you are bringing any medications (scripts or otc), declare on the form. Bring in original packaging, and a copy of prescription or Dr letter.

Correct 

Go to the top of the class.

Edited by Chiliburn

The original packages are specified. This tells what the drugs are, strength, and to whom prescribed. A bundle of random pills, however packaged, provides customs with headaches — and the travellers, too.

remember, each country determines what is and is not allowable medications, doses, reasons etc.  What is common in the US may not be common in other countries.  Over the counter in some places is prescription only in others. Or totally banned.

Indeed, even the allowable reasons for prescribing medications varies considerably between countries.

Having travelled extensively with a minor pharmacy of medications — including a variety of opioids — the only place I ever been sent for a secondary check was Auckland airport. For blood pressure meds by a bit officious New Officer.

At Melbourne airport I have been asked if meds are in packaging and I am carrying the scripts. Said yes and waved through the green door.

I travel with a range of medications that can raise eyebrows, a few years ago had over 150 80mg OxyContin. A cute little puppy sat down next to me, I had to explain myself but in the end no real issues. I think that on that cruise I had about 20 different medications, all in original packets, scripts for them all, in case I ran out of anything. On a trip like that I always carried them in a locked cash box, that then went into the cabin safe.

but as we haven’t flown internationally in years, even domestic has been a few years and only take a couple of pills off the ship when in port, I don’t need to worry anymore.

This is my all time favourite when discussing commonly allowable things when crossing borders.

Kinder Surprises, off the shelf at Coles or Woolies, are illegal imports to the USA. 

A newspaper quote:

The official fine for each Kinder Egg you attempt to bring into America is $2,500, and 60,000 Kinder Eggsare confiscated each year by those trying to smuggle them across the border from Canada and abroad.

10 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

This is my all time favourite when discussing commonly allowable things when crossing borders.

Kinder Surprises, off the shelf at Coles or Woolies, are illegal imports to the USA. 

A newspaper quote:

The official fine for each Kinder Egg you attempt to bring into America is $2,500, and 60,000 Kinder Eggsare confiscated each year by those trying to smuggle them across the border from Canada and abroad.

Ok, I'll bite!  What the heck is a Kinder Egg?  I live in the U.S. and now I'm really curious.  I guess this is an item I shouldn't try to bring back as a souvenir for the grandkids?!!

3 minutes ago, Wisconsin Travelers said:

Ok, I'll bite!  What the heck is a Kinder Egg?  I live in the U.S. and now I'm really curious.  I guess this is an item I shouldn't try to bring back as a souvenir for the grandkids?!!

A Kinder Egg or Kinder surprise is a small chocolate egg (think Easter egg) inside is a small toy inside a plastic capsule.

6 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

It is a little chocolate egg with a surprise inside. Usually some sort of little toy with tiny parts.

Potential choke hazard. 

F0C30CC5-FED9-40BD-9EAC-E954A073D73A.jpeg.3a66c567b7d69ecb08d70ea13ffbda99.jpeg

Four fatalities attributed to kinder world wide this century

So candy with a non-food item is being prohibited by the U.S.  That makes me wonder how they have allowed Cracker Jack to be sold here since 1896.  In case you folks in Oz or NZ aren't familiar with Cracker Jack, here's how Wikipedia describes it:

Cracker Jack is an American brand of snack consisting of molasses-flavored, caramel-coated popcorn and peanuts, well known for being packaged with a prize of trivial value inside. The Cracker Jack name was registered in 1896.

The "prize of trivial value" might be a little plastic whistle, a tiny doll, etc.  Sounds to me like Kinder Eggs are being discriminated against!

I think (only think mind you) the difference is that with Craker Jack the toy is in the box with Kinder the toy is INSIDE the chocolate, the perceived risk being that someone will bite into the chocolate not knowing there is a toy inside, the 1938 Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act seems to be the one relied on

Cracker Jack is very similar to our Lolly Gobble Bliss Bombs, (not sure if they still sell it here).

Mr. Gut, I have now added Lolly Gobble Bliss Bombs to my growing souvenir list!  In nearly every country's grocery store I have visited I've found some of the most bizarre items.  Grocery shopping internationally can be quite entertaining.  Google shows lots of photos of the Lolly Gobble packaging which brings me back to my high school days!  Thanks for the laugh.