NEW BRUNCH MENU

Cruisegirl6

19 minutes ago, fabby50 said:

I saw a poster on another thread said they had avocado toast and a yogurt parfait.  Is there another page or maybe they were mis-remembering and it was another cruise line entirely 🙂

Avocado toast is on the breakfast menu.

• Like 1

Gravlax... I saw Gravlax on there! Obviously I didn't scan the menu sufficiently on our Liberty sailing a few weeks ago. I'll give that a try in a couple weeks. Sad that there's so few sea days on most cruises!

It was YEARS ago that they had Gravlax as an appetizer on the MDR menu. It was my go to choice.  🙂

Tom

18 minutes ago, coevan said:

most burgers are better than a pressed to death well done hamburger. 

It can be quite challenging getting a RARE burger at sea - though a few places will go that extra mile 🙂

Tom

On 8/2/2019 at 1:55 AM, DallasGuy75219 said:

Some reviews have indicated the skillet cakes and 12 hour French toast are not quite the tried and true breakfast staples people may be used to...

image.gif.8410a6974632ea1f593586bb84f83bdb.gif"Think of it as a triple thick pancake with a sweet sauce and some sort of crumble on top, along with what appear to be house-made marshmallow squares and ricotta cheese. They serve it with syrup, but it is not needed as it is plenty sweet already. Mine was maybe just a tiny bit doughy inside?... The skillet cake was decent for what it was, but I'm not in a hurry to order it again."

"French toast. It was a loaf. The peaches were candied on top." 

The descriptions I've read have described the 12 hour French toast as more of a bread pudding than what most would traditionally call French toast.

Oh...now that just makes me sad! French toast "loaf" doesn't even sound appealing 😞

the pic of the new menu was hard to read, I had to zoom in to read it.  Very relieved steak and eggs are still on the menu.  Sea day brunch is something I really look forward to.  I find the food very good and I love meeting new people at the table.

On 8/1/2019 at 9:13 PM, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

1. Pancakes are referred to as "skillet cakes" and French toast is still on there.  (See top of middle column.)  The waffles are gone from brunch, but are still offered at port day breakfast or the Dr. Seuss character breakfast.

2. Fresh-squeezed OJ is extra charge, I'm sure of it.  Free OJ is probably frozen concentrate (like those cans in the frozen breakfast aisle) diluted with water, or even a corn syrup and Yellow #5 concoction.

We had the new menu on the Vista last month... note that the French toast is more like a serving of bread pudding- it's a 4 inch by 4 inch block of French bread... not bad, just different.

As for the OJ, I was puzzled about this as I'm not about to pay $5 for 'fresh squeezed juices'. My server, her helper and the bar staff all told me that you can still get the plain OJ at no cost if you ask for it. It's just not on the menu.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fyree39 said:

My only complaint with the sea day brunch is the service can be painfully slow. I'll use my free drink coupon and sometimes I get the drink halfway through my meal, which is also slow in being delivered. I don't understand why brunch tends to be this way.

Some say brunch is used as a remedial training exercise for wait staff who aren't cutting the mustard at dinner, so to say 😉

Edited by sanmarcosman

3 hours ago, fyree39 said:

My only complaint with the sea day brunch is the service can be painfully slow. I'll use my free drink coupon and sometimes I get the drink halfway through my meal, which is also slow in being delivered. I don't understand why brunch tends to be this way.

The servers are possibly less motivated because they are just getting pooled tips and are not likely to get additional tips from a random cruiser they serve once during the cruiser (vs. serving the same guests every night assigned at seating dinner or even guests who request them every night at YTD dinner).

1 hour ago, sanmarcosman said:

Some say brunch is used as a remedial training exercise for wait staff who aren't cutting the mustard at dinner, so to say 😉

extremely doubtful, less motivated is more likely.

• Like 1

I found the service in the MDR for breakfast and for Sea Day Brunch to be suffering a bit on our Vista cruise last month. Slow, food was not hot, and you couldn't find a soul to refill your coffee! (and everyone who knows me knows that is a cardinal sin! You DO NOT want to be around me until I've had my 2nd cup of coffee! But once I have it, I'm all sunshine and roses!)

I ended up solving the issue by stopping by the coffee stand on Lido and filling my travel mug on my way to breakfast!

But I definitely miss some of the old menu items... 

Does anyone know when they expect this to be rolled out fleetwide? Freedom still has the old menu but I doubt I'll be lucky enough to see it when I cruise Thanksgiving of NEXT year.

Well, I love my huevos rancheros off the old menu, so I hope we still have it on Sunshine at the end of October.  But, if they don't, I'll just skip the brunch long lines and poor service and go to the Blue Iguana!  Think the pasta sounds interesting, though!

Judge me if you like, but I am so excited to try the MOZZERELLA STICKS!!   I splurge when I'm on a cruise, and this is one of my guilty pleasures that I just can't get.  But now I can.  Sure, they're on the kids menu, but it's not like they're going to say no.  Also, I have three kids...so I can have them order them.   By the way...I just watched the youtube video posted above, and it was really good...they show pics of some of the items that are maybe a little different than you'd expect, like the french toast and skillet cake.

3 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

Well, I love my huevos rancheros off the old menu, so I hope we still have it on Sunshine at the end of October.  But, if they don't, I'll just skip the brunch long lines and poor service and go to the Blue Iguana!  Think the pasta sounds interesting, though!

I've always enjoyed BI better than MDR, probably since the eggs aren't sitting as long.