Another dress code question...

On 8/10/2019 at 2:58 PM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Not at all. I’m one of the “regular” passengers.  I see many things I would love to have but can’t afford so I buy what’s within my budget. 

If I’m out of place being myself then this will be not only our first, but also our last cruise with Celebrity. My husband and I don’t feel the need to try to impress others.  I was initially concerned about giving Celebrity a try after reading some of the comments from people on this board. However it was cheaper than other cruises we were looking at so we decided to go for it.  I was greatly relieved after chatting with people that will be on our cruise. It seems that vast majority are down to earth and friendly. Obviously all aren’t. If Celebrity doesn’t want people wearing ripped jeans on their ships, they can state that in their dress code. Or maybe they need to check with the snootiest of their passengers to get their approval first. 

We found the people on the ship differ than those on the boards. On the new formal night thing I was in a very nice polo shirt, and khakis and had a wonderful conversation with a couple dressed up in formal wear. We also spoke to them later in the cruise. They had just sailed on Cunard where the dress policy is much more strict. I will say we had many nice conversations with couples at meals, so I think it will all be fine. 

While I am all for a more casual dining room, I will stick with my khaki pants  and either a polo shirt or short sleeve button down shirt. I will just never judge someone by their clothes, just their actions and attitudes. 

I did see an RCCL dress code thread get shut down recently though, because some on CC have very strong opinions on how people should dress. 

• Like 3

On 8/10/2019 at 4:43 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

I wouldn’t go to the County Fair in ripped jeans, but then I am not seventeen.   Have not seen them worn in Luminae on our crossings but there must definitely be a different age group and different type of passenger on the other cruises.  Guess everything is about comfort and dressing a little for dinner is not comfortable for some passengers.

Then there are some of us, that no matter how nice the clothes are I still manage to look like a slug. My outfits wouldn’t bother anyone on the boards, me filling out the outfits.... 😂 to be fair this is my opinion, my wife and I disagree;)

• Haha 2

On 8/10/2019 at 5:49 PM, Ma Bell said:

Believe it or not all those old customers that you believe Celebrity doesn't want any more keep them in business. They're the ones with the time and the money to cruise frequently and if you are fortunate you may be one of them some day. You might even meet a few that you enjoy. Most of them started out just like you.

Why does everyone turn everything into an age thing or take it that way on these boards. My Dad’s idea of dressing up some days is a nice shirt with his bib overalls;) He dislikes it as much as I do and he is 30 years older than me. I don’t think it is a generational thing at all, some just don’t like to dress up, but will grudgingly if forced too. If the policy gives room to not go full formal, we won’t. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, K12Guy said:

Yes, I am in a Royal Suite, should that matter for any reason.

Simply, show pride.

A Royal Suite!  How neat!  I've been in a Royal Suite on every cruise I've done, including one upcoming in 2.5 weeks.  Well, that is, except the one time we had a Penthouse Suite instead.  Hope you'll enjoy the Royal as much as I have.

I like to dress up, since my attorney job is now a work-from-home one and I don't get out as much.  So I'm probably overdressed!  But I don't have pride.  Gosh, I'm not religious, but last I checked Pride was one of the seven deadly sins.  I like to exhibit grace and kindness instead.  But I guess we all have different motivations.

Cheers!

Edited by JMB27
  • Like 3

On 8/10/2019 at 2:43 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

I wouldn’t go to the County Fair in ripped jeans, but then I am not seventeen.   Have not seen them worn in Luminae on our crossings but there must definitely be a different age group and different type of passenger on the other cruises.  Guess everything is about comfort and dressing a little for dinner is not comfortable for some passengers.

omg I am 79 and from Newport Beach.  We wear designer jeans everywhere.  I love them and have lace sewn in the holes.  Nevertheless, what someone else wears doesn't ruin my time or change the taste of my food.  I think some people are caught up in their old ideas.  That being said, I would prefer not to see men in tank tops.  Otherwise anything is fine.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

My head is spinning after reading this thread.ain

Would we be able to get dinner delivered to our suite?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yes, but only if you dress formally. 😁

This thread has certainly been entertaining, to the point of absurdity and beyond.

But then that is what happens on most dress code threads.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, K12Guy said:

I think the salient point is not about putting on airs, so much as it is in showing pride in one's appearance. I think that is being lost on our younger crowd these days and that which is considered 'stylish' or in fashion for the moment is more important than looking nice and having pride in one's appearance.

I have a pair of those holey jeans. In fact I've had them probably thirty years, but they didn't start out holey and they are really no longer blue and they don't have any pretty filigree and most folks wouldn't think they are cute, unless maybe you were wearing them, of course. And yes, they are well worn, to the point of being tacky. But, the fading and holes were earned.

When we go for dinner at Luminae or Murano I will wear a dark blue suit, vest, and tie and I will be proud to be seen so well cleaned up. I won't wear my holey jeans, although I certainly earned the ideal.

Yes, I am in a Royal Suite, should that matter for any reason.

Simply, show pride.

According the OP it must. As posted by the OP, " I would guess a suite passenger vs a regular passenger would have a different view of what labels would be considered designer". 🙄

On 8/10/2019 at 4:13 PM, SheriffJoe said:

LOL good for you!  You will be just fine and you will also not find any of the elitist attitudes some people post here once onboard....its just so much easier for them to critique and criticize hiding behind their keyboards....frankly once onboard nobody notices much of anything other than if their drinks aren't poured correctly....

How true.  CC contributors quickly forget that they are just a tiny segment of any guests on a cruise, usually around 8 percent.  Not really enough to matter when it comes to cruise line policy or even a consensus of experiences.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/9/2019 at 8:40 PM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I'm sure you are all sick of people asking about Celebrity dress code.  I also know you love to refer people to the Celebrity website. You don't need to, I've already been there.  This is from the Celebrity webpage:

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

My question is about jeans in the MDR.  In this forum some of you have said jeans without holes.  Well jeans with holes just happen to be in style, and their website does not mention that.  I have a pair of denim Capri jeans with holes and a pretty design on the side.  They are cute and super comfortable!  Would I be out of place wearing them in the MDR on a non-chic night?

You should feel right at home.  While there are many (most) that 'dress up' and obviously enjoy doing so, there are many like yourself (me included), that are much more comfortable in a nice pair of jeans and dressier top.  I just got off the Equinox and I seen more than one woman in jeans 'with holes' that looked great and yes I seen such dress attire in the MDR so don't sweat it at all.  At least jeans are within the 'acceptable' list, unlike others that still walk in with shorts in the evening (not that I cared.)

This last cruise (well two B2B) was the first where I finally let myself be okay with dressing how Celebrity ... yes Celebrity ... now says I can dress.  The MDR has become the sole area where the dress code is more defined but jeans are allowed and as long as you feel well put together and presentable you go girl!  I felt totally fine in my jeans and to anyone that has a problem with it, complain to Celebrity 🙂  I will add that I did tend to avoid the MDR on the more 'formal' nights, I still feel a bit out of sorts on those nights with the suits and gowns.

Have a great cruise.

Edited by poffles
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, davekathy said:

According the OP it must. As posted by the OP, " I would guess a suite passenger vs a regular passenger would have a different view of what labels would be considered designer". 🙄

Absolutely! The label of my nearly new Levi 501 jeans is almost the very same as my thirty year old Levi 501 jeans. And only one pair has ratty holes. Maybe I got a defective label? 😎

Part of the issue with the holey jeans thing is that most of the people wearing them have never had to wear jeans long enough to actually wear holes into them, which is what our society is today. We've done too much for our children, in my opinion. But, I guess that's history....

In any case, again, it's a matter of taking pride in one's appearance. My pride is apparently different by definition.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

Why does everyone turn everything into an age thing or take it that way on these boards. My Dad’s idea of dressing up some days is a nice shirt with his bib overalls;) He dislikes it as much as I do and he is 30 years older than me. I don’t think it is a generational thing at all, some just don’t like to dress up, but will grudgingly if forced too. If the policy gives room to not go full formal, we won’t. 

I was just going to write something similar.  Age is not the indicator of what clothing is considered appropriate to 'take pride in ones appearance'.  No spring chicken here (and if it matters female) but I like to think I dress 'nice' and I hate .. HATE ... having to dress formal for anything; partially upbringing but also based on where one lives and what is acceptable in your own geographical area.  My parents, who are in their 70s, equally hate dressing up.  My father has worn jeans all his life to everything, does that mean he doesn't take pride in how he dresses or that his definition of pride is different (some would think abnormal) somehow?

Sense of dress has too many contributing factors and is the primary reason for so many questions about what one should wear to the MDR for dinner, and I would definitely agree that they are often asked here to get some sense of approval for what they want to wear. 

Celebrity has a dress code, it may not be perfectly applied all the time, but it exists.  If one doesn't want to feel too out of place, or in the minority, then lean towards a more elegant style look for all nights as that will definitely be the majority of passengers around you.  That said, if jeans are your comfort (like me) and you want to carry that dress attire to your vacation then perhaps the best balance is to have a nice pair of jeans that look best with a nice top; that is what i did ... I bought nicer dark jeans and  felt totally okay in the evening, I matched with nice blouses and didn't care if I was the only one in the room in jeans.  I am not one that is into designer jeans with holes in them so I wouldn't personally wear them to the MDR no matter how much they cost or what 'designer' label is on them ... but that is MY personal level of comfort and pride in the MDR  🙂  .

Edited by poffles

Being a teacher, I would have thought OP could read the stated policy and determine what was allowed or not.  It's not confusing at all.  She then asked for people's opinions about holes in jeans and then is upset that people offered them, throwing about charges of class-based elitism and other such ridiculous claims in the mix.  Sounds like someone is expecting to be offended and is doing everything in her power to make sure it happens.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Being a teacher, I would have thought OP could read the stated policy and determine what was allowed or not.  It's not confusing at all.  She then asked for people's opinions about holes in jeans and then is upset that people offered them, throwing about charges of class-based elitism and other such ridiculous claims in the mix.  Sounds like someone is expecting to be offended and is doing everything in her power to make sure it happens.

The OP lost me somewhere in this thread, but the question of would look totally out of place onboard is fair, and not wear them if it would. Where it went after theresponses rolled in who knows. 

I have seen some on CC though that do judge people by what they will wear, and I have issues with that if the people are within the stated dress code.

All that class garbage aside, the OP should just wear her jeans with holes in them since the dress code allows them, and no one will probably say a thing. Maybe the dress code in the future will state holes in jeans are allowed as long as they aren’t above a certain point. 

On 8/10/2019 at 3:58 PM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Not at all. I’m one of the “regular” passengers.  I see many things I would love to have but can’t afford so I buy what’s within my budget. 

If I’m out of place being myself then this will be not only our first, but also our last cruise with Celebrity. My husband and I don’t feel the need to try to impress others.  I was initially concerned about giving Celebrity a try after reading some of the comments from people on this board. However it was cheaper than other cruises we were looking at so we decided to go for it.  I was greatly relieved after chatting with people that will be on our cruise. It seems that vast majority are down to earth and friendly. Obviously all aren’t. If Celebrity doesn’t want people wearing ripped jeans on their ships, they can state that in their dress code. Or maybe they need to check with the snootiest of their passengers to get their approval first. 

You're putting way too much energy into this, in my opinion.  I've sailed on Celebrity cruise. As a regular passenger since the mid/ late 90s and have seen the evolution(some might call it the devolution)of the dress guidelines.  As for the price of my clothes, they come from all over, and any high end designer pieces I've acquired over the years from Marshall's/TJ Maxx and consignment shops happily mix with my Target and Walmart buys and things I find in vintage stores and thrift shops. The snooty folks will always find something to be snooty about and I don't care because I don't dress to please them.  It's not my problem if they have a problem with the way I look, it's theirs.

Edited by cocobakerchica
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes, but do you wear the designer jeans with holes and rips in them?   My mother, in her nineties would not step outside the house to garden dressed in jeans.  In fact, I doubt she owns a pair a regular jeans although she may have denim in a trouser style.   She always has taken pride in her appearance but she grew up in a different age.   The folks with holes in their clothing could not afford to replace them but did keep them mended.   The Depression was very hard on working class folks and they did try to keep up their appearance in spite of their suffering financial ruin.   We will soon lose the folks who grew up during those years and we will lose their values.

My grandparents would be in their 90s were they still alive, and they wore jeans all the time, so I don't think that's necessarily the right generation to cite, in general (exceptions to every rule, of course).  Their parents (I knew both of my great-grandmothers) were certainly of the generation that didn't wear jeans on a regular basis and many of the women would only wear skirts.  But, you're talking about people who would be well over 100 at this point, and I seriously doubt they'd be cruising at that age.  One of my great grandmothers would have turned 134 this year!

On 8/11/2019 at 3:49 PM, jdacombe said:

I'm worried that he may get some unwarranted adverse comments about his tattoos.

My left shoulder and back are covered in brightly colored tattoos and my husband has a full left sleeve and his right forearm tattooed. Not once last year on the Equinox did we get any adverse remarks (at least that we could hear), more compliments than anything else. He should be just fine.

It should be worth noting, my husband and I are in our mid 30s and usually cruise in a suite. I'm happy to hear that the holes/distressing comments have been removed from the guidelines as a majority of my jeans have some sort of distressing and look very nice when paired with a nice top and heels. It made it quite a challenge last year to pack for the evenings on a Caribbean cruise without looking like I'm stepping into the board room at work! So @NCteacherlovescruising, I'm glad you asked this question because now I feel more comfortable packing a pair or two of mine for our cruise in 3 weeks. Not once has anybody else's dinner attire ever bothered us one bit and we never felt out of place dressed a bit more casual than some others. We both dress up for work and my husband spent 14 years in a dress uniform in the military so it's nice to be able to dress down a bit and still look nice. Have a wonderful time on your cruise!! 🙂

• Like 6

This thread certainly has a diverse set of opinions. There are just ripped up jeans from working in them for years and then there are edgy designer inspired jeans. Two different things. This past weekend my DD wore a pair of her designer ripped jeans with heels, a silk camisole top and Chanel jewelry to an upscale restaurant. I think she has excellent taste, but of course, I’m her mom, but she did win best dressed in high school and the Golden Hanger award for best dressed in her sorority in college. I say look in the mirror and if you look good in it and you feel good in it, then wear it whether designer or not. Dress your jeans up for evening while dining or keep them more casual for day. There will be plenty of  people on board who will think you look great and no one will throw their hands up in horror about what you are wearing. Enjoy your cruise.

Mary Ann

• Like 4

5 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

Yup!

19 hours ago, JMB27 said:

Gosh, I'm not religious, but last I checked Pride was one of the seven deadly sins.  

You got with me that one. I have no idea why pride would be a sin. Maybe you can educate me on that?

1 hour ago, K12Guy said:

You got with me that one. I have no idea why pride would be a sin. Maybe you can educate me on that?

Usually regarded as the worst of the seven deadly sins, as in a way it's the root of all other sins, thinking that you know or are better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_deadly_sins#Pride