Travel Agent Issues/End Less Summer Sale

GoCards82

Good evening everyone,

I am looking for some help/advice.  I have a large complaint with my TA and a minor with Norwegian.  We are scheduled to sail on the Norwegian Bliss from Seward, AK to Vancouver on 9/2.  We booked in October of last year.  A few weeks/months ago i noticed that our cruise went on sale thru the Endless Summer sale with a bunch of freebies.  I contacted Norwegian to inquire about possibly picking up a few of the freebies and they stated that I have to work that our through my TA.  Completely understand this.  Well, I have spent the last 6 weeks via email, phone, and Facebook trying to get in touch with my TA.  Finally, today I call Norwegian again, and they state the same thing.  Nothing they can do.

Now, I understand that I am out here trying to get some free things, so I am not trying to make a giant stink about this.

Logistics are that my TA is from Florida, us from Illinois, so we cant just pop in to try and see her.  Also, she does it from her home. 

Any and all advice or help would be appreciated......even if it is suck it up, nothing can be done.

Thanks

Is the cruise still on sale now if you did a mock booking online? You may be better off re-booking directly yourself and then telling the travel agent to shove it and give you a refund. I don't understand how it would take over 6 weeks of back and forth to get an adjustment.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Is the cruise still on sale now if you did a mock booking online? You may be better off re-booking directly yourself and then telling the travel agent to shove it and give you a refund. I don't understand how it would take over 6 weeks of back and forth to get an adjustment.

It is still on sale, but doubt i can get a refund.  There has been no back and forth, literally no answer to any correspondence. 

6 minutes ago, PeleNipsy said:

Was the sale after final payment?   That may be part of it.  After final payment, it’s like airline pricing.  They discount to help sell empty cabins.  

Sale was after final payment.

Just now, ColinIllinois said:

What is the problem you have with NCL?

Just that they won't budge with all changes must be through my TA.  I told them that I cant even confirm that my TA is still above ground.  They still won't budge.

Could you naming the wrong ship or itinerary be part of the problem? As Bliss is only out of Seattle and it's Jewel on the itinerary you mentioned? 

But if they only thing you're trying to get is additional freebies after final payment, I would say you are fighting an uphill battle. If you were upgrading to a different category you might get the additional freebies, but I don't see them doing it otherwise. 

Edited by smplybcause

6 minutes ago, GoCards82 said:

Just that they won't budge with all changes must be through my TA.  I told them that I cant even confirm that my TA is still above ground.  They still won't budge.

That's the same for everyone.  Seems really weird about your TA.   Is this someone you know?  Seems odd to have a TA so far away from you that works from home.

5 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Could you naming the wrong ship or itinerary be part of the problem? As Bliss is only out of Seattle and it's Jewel on the itinerary you mentioned? 

But if they only thing you're trying to get is additional freebies after final payment, I would say you are fighting an uphill battle. If you were upgrading to a different category you might get the additional freebies, but I don't see them doing it otherwise. 

Thanks.  My apologies, it is the Jewel, not the Bliss.  Not sure how to edit OP post.

4 minutes ago, ColinIllinois said:

That's the same for everyone.  Seems really weird about your TA.   Is this someone you know?  Seems odd to have a TA so far away from you that works from home.

Not someone I know.  Booked with my in-laws who live down there.  Don't want to ask them to go over and see what is going on.

52 minutes ago, ColinIllinois said:

In this day and age of the internet it is not unusual for TA's to work from their home, especially when it is not a brick and mortar shop.  I know you don't want to ask your In-Laws to go over there, but you really should.

Also you really do need to find a new TA to use in the future.

Don't know about NCL for sure, but with a little instance most cruise lines will transfer your booking back to you for an unresponsive TA, speak with a supervisor and continue to escalate, emails with Copy to NCL (supervisor) should establish the non-responsiveness.

Edited by cruisegus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GoCards82 said:

Good evening everyone,

I am looking for some help/advice.  I have a large complaint with my TA and a minor with Norwegian.  We are scheduled to sail on the Norwegian Bliss from Seward, AK to Vancouver on 9/2.  We booked in October of last year.  A few weeks/months ago i noticed that our cruise went on sale thru the Endless Summer sale with a bunch of freebies.  I contacted Norwegian to inquire about possibly picking up a few of the freebies and they stated that I have to work that our through my TA.  Completely understand this.  Well, I have spent the last 6 weeks via email, phone, and Facebook trying to get in touch with my TA.  Finally, today I call Norwegian again, and they state the same thing.  Nothing they can do.

Now, I understand that I am out here trying to get some free things, so I am not trying to make a giant stink about this.

Logistics are that my TA is from Florida, us from Illinois, so we cant just pop in to try and see her.  Also, she does it from her home. 

Any and all advice or help would be appreciated......even if it is suck it up, nothing can be done.

Thanks

The first thing to remember is that sailing is 3 weeks from tomorrow, so OP doesn't have the option to cancel and rebook. Looking at this it seems to me that this sale began after the final payment date for OP's cruise. If that is the case, NCL is not going to give the OP any additional perks, unless the perks were available at the time of the original booking. If there has been a price reduction OP might get 25% of the reduction as OBC.

As far as getting in touch with the TA, that is a tough situation, because there is not really anything that you can do this close to sailing if the TA won't respond.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, GoCards82 said:

Thanks.  My apologies, it is the Jewel, not the Bliss.  Not sure how to edit OP post.

The ship doesn't have anything to do with the answers, they apply to all ships in the fleet.

I understand that the OP has a reasonable gripe about an unresponsive TA.  He needs to change TA for next time.  I do not understand what he has against NCL. 

Folk mention getting 25% of price drops as OBC, but after that you cannot expect more perks added on.

When you book 11 months in advance you get the advantages of better airfare pricing and a range of cabins to choose from.  

LAst minute sales are priced and ‘perked’ to encourage last minute cruisers who may end up with less desirable cabins.  These are also people who have more flexibility with annual leave and don’t have so much time to research excursions.  Indeed the more desirable excursions may have gone.  

So it may not be the advice the OP wanted but my best advice is not to check the sales promotions after you book!

Edited by ollienbertsmum
  • Like 1

Final  payment.   -   You are not entitled to anything.    You have no complaint with NCL.   That is how it works,  when you use an agent.   Step up your contact-   but-  you have a done deal-  and agreed  to the terms of the cruise when you booked.    Fire sales are a matter of supply and demand.   How it goes.    

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

This would not work at all. IF the op re-books it is considered cancelling and booking another reservation and they would be charged the full penalty. 

I feel for the OP, good travel agents on fantastic and could do wonders, too many are nothing but order takers. At this point  it appears that is just what kind OP has. They have probably already gotten their commission and could care less about the client who is just a name to them.  I do have to add: this is one time NCL is not to blame for your frustration, not even a little. this is long after final payment and they do not owe you anything. These things do happen. You will often find sales or additional perks show up after final payment but that is the chance we all take when we book. This does not excuse the TA for not returning your call. 

10 hours ago, GoCards82 said:

Good evening everyone,

Thanks

Time for a new travel agent. I live in Michigan and my travel agent; with whom I have been working with for almost 20 years. I have never had to wait more than a day or two for answers to any problem or question. We even saved $800 each for three couples on a booked cruise. It took her less than a day to get NCL to make an adjustment without cancelling our booking.

Are there online reviews for TA’s?  (Not here of course, not allowed).  If there is something like yelp for TA’s, leave her a review and just state facts “I’ve called and left at least 10 messages and she has not returned a single call”, for example.  “I had booked a cruise through her but because of her unresponsive ness to my calls I’ll never book anything through agency xxx again”.  

Would like to update everyone because this is partly my fault and i should own it.  So I had the phone and Facebook correct for the TA, which, I did not get a response.  I was emailing the wrong email address, one character off.  Got it right today and the TA was great.  Apologized for the no response to phone and FB.

So, she was able to get us the freebies, only if we upgraded the room....We did!!!

Thanks for everyones help.

• Like 1