How to talk nicely with Aussies and Kiwis?

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Forgot to say, no need to talk nicely to Kiwis, they don’t understand English anyway.

The Kiwi corner shop is 'The Dairy.'  Don't ask my why, are there cows in there? 😮

Just now, NSWP said:

The Kiwi corner shop is 'The Dairy.'  Don't ask my why, are there cows in there? 😮

Probably originally milk was their main item.

I miss old fashioned corner shops, glass case full of lollies at 4 a penny, milkshakes in metal cups, maybe a pinie for a game or two.

9 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Love a snag sambo, so does Max, only reason I go to Bunnings.

Didn’t know they still made Dinner Ale.

Dirty Annie is no longer produced by CUB., Closest to it these days is Reschs Draught and Reschs Pilsener (silver bullets) .  I had a bottle of Fat Yak yesterday and the old Celiac gut handled it.

Edited by NSWP

21 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Scots use the wee a lot, maybe it was an import.

He did refer to Dunedin which was originally a Scottish settlement of NZ, very big Scottish influence to this day according to my Grand Daughters boyfriend who hails from there.

Just now, NSWP said:

The Kiwi corner shop is 'The Dairy.'  Don't ask my why, are there cows in there?

Back before refrigeration milk couldn't be kept for more than a few hours, especially in summer.

So if you wanted milk you had to go and get it from somewhere that kept it cold.

In Australia that was the milk bar, in NZ the dairy.

2 hours ago, Russell21 said:

He did refer to Dunedin which was originally a Scottish settlement of NZ, very big Scottish influence to this day according to my Grand Daughters boyfriend who hails from there.

Many Scots settled on the South Island and if I remember correctly Dunedin was originally settled by members of the Free Church of Scotland in the late 1840s. The name Dunedin was taken from the Gaelic for Edinburgh.

Leigh

22 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Back before refrigeration milk couldn't be kept for more than a few hours, especially in summer.

So if you wanted milk you had to go and get it from somewhere that kept it cold.

In Australia that was the milk bar, in NZ the dairy.

Don't they have fridges in NZ then? 😮

6 hours ago, IslandThyme said:

Actually, I've already used it on Whacebook, saying What the Whuck!?!

I have been known to say "No wucking furries" but now if I say "No whucking worries" instead I'll still be in trouble.  

40 minutes ago, banzaii said:

I have been known to say "No wucking furries" but now if I say "No whucking worries" instead I'll still be in trouble.  

Be careful with those computer keys, cover up the f. 🤣

4 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Scots use the wee a lot, maybe it was an import.

Yes, highly likely. I lived in Dunedin when I was a child and that term was very common. My brother still says it and I find myself reverting back to that for a couple of days after we leave Dunedin. You never forget childhood words and phrases.

4 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Probably originally milk was their main item.

I miss old fashioned corner shops, glass case full of lollies at 4 a penny, milkshakes in metal cups, maybe a pinie for a game or two.

At one time they were the only stores that were allowed to sell milk in NZ. Usually it was delivered to your house every day by the milkman so shop sales were limited to preserve the livelihoods of the milkmen.That phased out sometime in the 1980s, I think, and from then on milk was sold in supermarkets as well as dairies. 

17 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

At one time they were the only stores that were allowed to sell milk in NZ. Usually it was delivered to your house every day by the milkman so shop sales were limited to preserve the livelihoods of the milkmen.That phased out sometime in the 1980s, I think, and from then on milk was sold in supermarkets as well as dairies. 

That was also in the days when milk came in glass bottles. .." and we had that old fashioned concept of recycling . That’s heavens for plastic that we just chuck away and not be bothered with.