Enough food on Viking river cruises...?

NavyCruiser

Quick question on quantity of food during & after dinner on Viking.

Unlike our 30+ ocean cruises where we never go hungry during dinner where we can order more than one main entrees, & numerous late night open food venues & 24 hour pizzas.

On our 2 previous river cruises on another line, they only allow one entree at dinner, & limited snacks (sandwiches & finger foods) 10 - 11pm.

So what's Viking's policy...?

Thanks,

One can eat as much as one likes at breakfast and lunch. I always order two desserts at dinner, usually the fruit plate or the dessert of the day plus the cheese plate, and although I've never felt the need to order two main courses I'm sure it would be possible. Once the dining room's order taken that's basically the amount of food that's prepared, so ordering one main course then deciding to have another after eating the first would probably be very difficult. Even ordering desserts after the main course as one would normally do in a restaurant is discouraged. Viking serve quite a few more passengers every meal time than on other river cruise lines from a limited kitchen space so there's very little scope to change things once service is under way, especially at dinner.

There are occasionally fast food joints within walking distance of town/city centre berths for anyone who needs a late night snack: once the ship's kitchen has finished dinner service that's it until breakfast starts at 06.00 with coffee and pastries followed by continental breakfast from 06.30.

'The nub of your question is  how much is 'enough'.

For me, three courses plus bread was more than enough at dinner.

People at our table sometimes had two desserts and you can also have a cheese selection after dessert.

If someone wasn't happy with their main course then the waiter offered another. On previous Viking trips some people had two main courses.

But after dinner service the only snacks are cakes or cookies at the coffee stations.

Seems I have a smaller appetite than you 🙂

Edited by pontac
  • Like 2

We always feel properly fed on our river cruises - we have never gone hungry. In fact, I sometimes cannot finish the entire dinner - especially dessert (and I love desserts). You can order 2 entrees at dinner if you desire as I have witnessed a person doing just that on a Viking cruise. There is nothing served after dinner - some cookies available but that was all we saw on our last cruise. There was no finger food (sandwiches) served from 10-11 pm - and definitely no 24 hour pizza service.

We are not interested in eating or having food available 24/7 but if that is your desire, I think you would be the happiest on the ocean cruises where food is always available regardless of the hour. 

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

I'm more of a grazer than a big meal person and would describe Viking as having too much at meal time proper and not really anything other than cookies and coffee outside posted meal times.  It would be nice to have a dessert option/ice cream social an hour after the main course so you don't feel so stuffed but absent that I'd tend to eat lightly at breakfast and lunch and then dip into the snack bag I picked up at a local grocery store before embarking if I wanted a nice hunk of Swiss chocolate on the days I skipped dessert at dinner. 

At a good number of ports, you're docked in a place where it's quite easy to walk only a few steps into town for a nip and snack at a nearby pub or bar as long as the ship is in port. 

You won’t gain an ounce.  Dinner options were limited and portions small.  

There will be apples available, cookies snatched up very quickly.  A few evenings a late night dessert or soup was served,

Food on Viking river was  average to mediocre.  Their always available chicken and steak had a freezer to microwave consistency,  

3 hours ago, sammiedawg said:

You won’t gain an ounce.  Dinner options were limited and portions small.  

There will be apples available, cookies snatched up very quickly.  A few evenings a late night dessert or soup was served,

Food on Viking river was  average to mediocre.  Their always available chicken and steak had a freezer to microwave consistency,  

I realize that opinions regarding food are subjective, but my husband and I do not share your opinion. Nor, do I image, do the majority of the tens of thousands of repeat Viking river cruisers.

In response to the original poster, there is a difference between an ocean and a river cruise in terms of the schedule of food availability. Our river cruise experience tends to be early to bed and early to rise, as excursions often require you to get an early start to the day. After a day of touring and a nice leisurely dinner with new friends, things wrap up early. We never went hungry!  

Edited by lackcreativity
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the above replies.

So it is possible to order 2 main entrees on Viking?

Assuming there'll be no real food (we can't eat cakes nor cookies) between 9pm - 6 am?

Sorry to ask since we're in the process of booking our next Europe river cruise for later in the year for a group of very active health conscious athletic types in their mid 40's to late 50's cruisers.  Some are Very fussy eaters who won't eat bread & desserts, nor cakes & cookies.  They love the high-end ocean cruises, but wanted to try out the river cruising experience.  Some like Viking from their ads, but were concerned about no fitness center onboard, no bikes, & no late night food.  

So maybe Viking is not the right river cruising line for them?

1 hour ago, NavyCruiser said:

Assuming there'll be no real food (we can't eat cakes nor cookies) between 9pm - 6 am?

Sorry to ask since we're in the process of booking our next Europe river cruise for later in the year for a group of very active health conscious athletic types in their mid 40's to late 50's cruisers.  Some are Very fussy eaters who won't eat bread & desserts, nor cakes & cookies.  They love the high-end ocean cruises, but wanted to try out the river cruising experience.  Some like Viking from their ads, but were concerned about no fitness center onboard, no bikes, & no late night food.  

If they are fitness focused, there are river cruise lines that would be much better for them.  Research based on active excursions, fleets of bikes on board, etc.  AMAwaterways, Emerald, and Scenic are mentioned in the Berlitz Guide as strong in this area.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

...Some like Viking from their ads, but were concerned about no fitness center onboard, no bikes, & no late night food.  

Selecting any product because one likes their ads is a pretty poor start. I will give you credit for coming to the river cruise board to get a better understanding. 

I don’t there is any river cruise line who caters to “Very fussy eaters who won't eat bread & desserts, nor cakes & cookies” and also want 24 hour pizza. It is not just that Viking is not the right river cruising line for them, there is IMO no river cruise line right for them. 

5 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

I would say Crystal would be good for fussy eaters. They do have room service 24 hours a day (well, they did when I sailed) though the items are limited such as burgers, sandwiches and some sweets (no pizza). I wasn't thrilled with the vegetables they had and they asked which ones I wanted and they were available for the rest of the cruise. They made other arrangements for people. People were making requests for food 24 hours in advance.

They also have a fitness center and bikes.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

You seem to have missed your question having been answered further up the thread, but you'll soon be able to ask your waiter in person. Do let us know how you get on. 

Biggest piece of advice: Don’t choose Viking because of the ads. Choose Viking only if it’s the best match for your group. 

I cant imagine anyone going hungry on any cruise line. Besides breakfast and lunch there is also Tea time at 4:00 pm. Plus during visits to the various towns you probably sample the local treats. 

20 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

...we're in the process of booking our next Europe river cruise for later in the year for a group of very active health conscious athletic types in their mid 40's to late 50's cruisers.  Some are Very fussy eaters who won't eat bread & desserts, nor cakes & cookies.  They love the high-end ocean cruises

Viking offers a good quality and gets many repeat customers, but is certainly would not be considered “high end”. Viking’s total square foot per passenger is smaller than most river cruise lines. The average age of Viking passengers is higher than most other river cruise lines. Viking’s offerings for athletic endeavors is less than most other lines. All in all doesn’t sound like the best match for the group you describe. 

20 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

I would add Avalon to the list of lines that cater to active cruisers.  They offer active Rhine and Danube cruises that include things like kayaking, hiking, etc.  Although it wasn't marketed as an 'active' cruise, Avalon had an activities director (i think that was what he was called) on our recent Moselle and Rhine cruise.  Every morning he led a yoga or cardio class in the lounge and most days there was an active excursion option like a vineyard hike or bicycle ride.  Avalon does have an 'evening snack' which we only had once; usually we are too full from dinner.   We found the food to be excellent with healthy options available at each meal.

You can order two entrees...or at least our table ordered an extra one to share one night when we were torn over what to order.  

We learned to grab some fruit/snack at breakfast or lunch buffet and store it in the room for any late night needs. 

Our only complaint about lack of food was between lunch and dinner especially in embarkation day. We had been traveling since early morning, boarded about 2 and there was NOTHING (well except for some crumbs where the cookies had been) until dinner.