Pizza

46 minutes ago, Ariel35 said:

Does the Noordam have NY pizza?

No.  Only the larger HAL ships (Nieuw Amsterdam, Nieuw Statendam, Konigsdam, and Eurodam) have the NY PIzza.  The Konigsdam and Nieuw Statendam have added sandwiches to the NY Pizza so are called NY Pizz/Deli.

The smaller HAL ships have a Taco Bar next to the indoor pool on Deck 9 that the larger ships do not have.

Edited by Crew News

3 hours ago, Crew News said:

No.  Only the larger HAL ships (Nieuw Amsterdam, Nieuw Statendam, Konigsdam, and Eurodam) have the NY PIzza. 

And the Rotterdam has it, on the back deck, next to the SeaView Bar.   The NY Style pizza also has prepared salads, but the custom made salads in the Lido are better.   I guess they figure they must offer a "healthy alternative" to the fresh-made pizza just to keep the comments down.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Crew News said:

No.  Only the larger HAL ships (Nieuw Amsterdam, Nieuw Statendam, Konigsdam, and Eurodam) have the NY PIzza.  The Konigsdam and Nieuw Statendam have added sandwiches to the NY Pizza so are called NY Pizz/Deli.

The smaller HAL ships have a Taco Bar next to the indoor pool on Deck 9 that the larger ships do not have.

We did a SA cruise on Maasdam and they had New York style  pizzas ! ! They were

great. Lido pizzas sucked in the past. I would never touch them since everyone else did!

Denise😊

• Like 1

I don't mind the Lido pizza... the nice thing is you can just grab it and go. The NY Pizza is definately better, but it can be painfully slow as well. Sometimes you just want to grab a quick slice and be on your way.

14 hours ago, Crew News said:

Not quite accurate.  The Rotterdam and Veendam both have NY Pizza

• Like 2

17 hours ago, c-cruise said:

I don't mind the Lido pizza... the nice thing is you can just grab it and go. The NY Pizza is definitely better, but it can be painfully slow as well. Sometimes you just want to grab a quick slice and be on your way.

The Lido pizza under the french fry lights and the taco bar near the Dive-In are one of the few self-serve food venues remaining on HAL ships.   Some people are just plain slobs and treat the self-serve venues like they do at home.   Grabbing pizza slices or taco shells with their hands, and if they aren't happy with their selection they put it back and take another.  I have seen people picking extra slices of pepperoni off of the other slices and putting it on their slice, using their hands.   Also a person at the taco bar taking a spoonful of sour cream with the serving spoon, dropping it on her plate, and licking off the spoon, and putting it back into the tub of sour cream.   That is why HAL is eliminating as many self-service stations as possible.   As Forest Gump said "You can't fix stupid", so HAL is trying to eliminate these places where people can be stupid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love the NY pizza!! Thin crispy crust, lots of great ingredients like prosciutto, shrimp, artichoke hearts, Kalamata olives, salads right there-20 minute wait-what's not to love!? One of my very favorite lunches!! I just wish all the ships had one!! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sambamama said:

I love the NY pizza!! Thin crispy crust, lots of great ingredients like prosciutto, shrimp, artichoke hearts, Kalamata olives, salads right there-20 minute wait-what's not to love!? One of my very favorite lunches!! I just wish all the ships had one!! 

I wish they all did too!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kangforpres said:

Pizza on HAL has always been dismal, the new Pinnacle class ships have a dedicated pizzeria called NY Pizza, so hopefully they are at least edible and stay open until 11:30 pm every night when you get the craving for a slice.

NY Pizza is on the N Amsterdam, Eurodam, Veendam & Rotterdam as well.  Ours on the Rotterdam was quite edible 😉 You get a whole pizza (about 10”) made to order, not a slice like on the Lido.  

• Like 1

Because the NY Style Pizzas are made individually to your order, where you can choose the toppings, (or bring your own toppings from the Lido Salad bar), the bake of the cruse, the amount of cheese, the type and amount of sauce,  then the quality of the pizza is really in your hands.   Yes, the Lido Market Pizzas (under the french-fry lights) are OK, but not great.  But the NY Style Pizzas on the ships that have them, are only as good as your instructions to the baker.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2019 at 12:57 PM, DeeniEncinitas said:

We did a SA cruise on Maasdam and they had New York style  pizzas ! ! They were

great. Lido pizzas sucked in the past. I would never touch them since everyone else did!

Denise😊

Was on the Maasdam in June and their pizza sat under a heat lamp in the Lido and was a limp poor impersonation of good pizza. I know the quality of food is very subjective but we are at opposite ends of the quality scale on this one. They would be a whole lot better if they cooked them a bit more.

1 hour ago, Nang said:

Was on the Maasdam in June and their pizza sat under a heat lamp in the Lido and was a limp poor impersonation of good pizza. I know the quality of food is very subjective but we are at opposite ends of the quality scale on this one. They would be a whole lot better if they cooked them a bit more.

We did our cruise in March 2018!!!!

They had it set up at the Sea View (aft) area. We ordered them and had a buzzer to pick them up. One of our bartenders would go get them for us! In the Lido they have them set up under heat lamps and are awful especially when hands are all over them! Apparently on your cruise this past June they stop the service in the aft!

Don't tell me we are at opposite ends on this conversation. 

Denise😊

12 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

We did our cruise in March 2018!!!!

They had it set up at the Sea View (aft) area. We ordered them and had a buzzer to pick them up. One of our bartenders would go get them for us! In the Lido they have them set up under heat lamps and are awful especially when hands are all over them! Apparently on your cruise this past June they stop the service in the aft!

Don't tell me we are at opposite ends on this conversation. 

Denise😊

I don't understand as from my observation there was no pizza cooking area on the aft pool deck on the Maasdam. Are we talking about the same ship or was it a "mobile" pizza cooking station or perhaps on the next level up from the pool? If it was there somewhere this last June I failed badly in seeking out all that the Maasdam has to offer.

1 minute ago, Nang said:

I don't understand as from my observation there was no pizza cooking area on the aft pool deck on the Maasdam. Are we talking about the same ship or was it a "mobile" pizza cooking station or perhaps on the next level up from the pool? If it was there somewhere this last June I failed badly in seeking out all that the Maasdam has to offer.

Nang, did you read my post? This was last year prior to them making The Maasdam a EXC explorer ship !! Nothing was mobile with a station!! Maasdam was going into dry dock to be fitted for doing adventure cruises after our cruise!

So apparently it was removed! We were ON her 34 days and at THAT TIME THEY HAD A GREAT NEW YORK STYLE 🍕 PIZZA! 

Listen I sooooo agree with the pizza in the lido it is awful.

Smooth Sailings 

Denise😊

7 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Nang, did you read my post? This was last year prior to them making The Maasdam a EXC explorer ship !! Nothing was mobile with a station!! Maasdam was going into dry dock to be fitted for doing adventure cruises after our cruise!

So apparently it was removed! We were ON her 34 days and at THAT TIME THEY HAD A GREAT NEW YORK STYLE 🍕 PIZZA! 

Listen I sooooo agree with the pizza in the lido it is awful.

Smooth Sailings 

Denise😊

I am surprised (and very disappointed) they removed a pizza station. Don't explorers like good pizza? Well according to HAL they may not value pizza as much as zodiacs that just sit on the deck and do not get wet. 21 days and did not sea the zodiacs out and about - I would have enjoyed watching them zip about while munching on a good pizza.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nang said:

I am surprised (and very disappointed) they removed a pizza station. Don't explorers like good pizza? Well according to HAL they may not value pizza as much as zodiacs that just sit on the deck and do not get wet. 21 days and did not sea the zodiacs out and about - I would have enjoyed watching them zip about while munching on a good pizza.

Will be on The Rotterdam in March from San Diego to FLL. Will enjoy the pizza on her also! I agree with the zodiacs! 

Denise😊