Pizza

Several years ago I had pizza in the Lido restaurant and it was so bad I have never eaten pizza on a cruise again.  Since there is now the New York pizza space by the sea view pool, I wondered what is the general feeling regarding the quality of pizza served there?

Marcia

59 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I just deleted my comments on HAL pizza after applying the rule: "if you have nothing good to say it is better to remain silent!"

Hank

Hank,

What a wonderful and creative comment!  Thanks for your continued participation in the Holland America Forum.  I appreciate the advice and commentary that you provide for readers.

• Like 2

Let me put it this way, on our last Rotterdam cruise we sat next to a couple chowing down on the so called pizza.

When we asked how it was, they responded, "It's great - just like what we can get in (unknown small town), Michigan."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

Let me put it this way, on our last Rotterdam cruise we sat next to a couple chowing down on the so called pizza.

When we asked how it was, they responded, "It's great - just like what we can get in (unknown small town), Michigan."

Isn't it amazing that people from an "unknown small town" in Michigan could possibly enjoy something that you don't enjoy?

• Like 2

Which ship are you sailing on?  If on one of the Pinnacle class ships, the pizza is very good.  On the other ships, it seems to be more hit or miss.  We've enjoyed some excellent pizza (I recall sitting by the aft pool on Nieuw Amsterdam in the evening waiting for departure from Dubronik and another time in Juneau on the Amsterdam in the late afternoon with pizza and beer) and some not-so-great, which we ate anyway.  

I'd say give it a try; otherwise, you won't know for yourself.  Enjoy your cruise, regardless of how the pizza tastes.  LOL.

Edited by sevenseasnomad

We ate the pizza every day on Nieuw Statendam! I personally really enjoyed the pizza. I get mine made vegan so no cheese and loads of veggies, and it wasn't greasy at all. My experiences might be a little different from those ordering the regular pizzas off the menu. I liked you could get the made fresh to order and I could put whatever toppings I wanted on them. I also personally liked the late night pizza runs we could do and bring the pizza back to our cabin 🙂

• Like 2

The New York pizza on NA this last cruise in February was fresh, crispy thin crust, and tasted great. Took it back to the cabin for late night movie time. Dh and I shared one ourselves while the teen son easily gobbled one up on his own. Ah to be young and have an indestructible stomach again. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The NY Style Pizza is way better than the pizza under the french fry lights in the Lido market on the Vista class ships.  We have really enjoyed NY Style Pizza on the Eurodam and Rotterdam.   Each one is custom made to your order.  You can select the toppings you want, the bake of the crust, extra anything, and yes, you can split one half-n-half with different toppings on each side.  The pizzas are about 10" in diameter, just enough for one person.   I also have seen people getting a small bowl of some special toppings in the salad bar section of the Lido, and giving that to the NY Style Pizza attendant and he will put those on your custom pizza.   On both the Rotterdam and the Eurodam, the Sea View Bar also has ice-cold draft beer, which is a requirement to go along with a tasty pizza.

I didn’t know there was another pizza outlet on bigger ships, will look out for that. Lido pizza on the Maasdam last week was not good. One day I braved a slice of pizza labelled vegetable and it was just a few veg popped on the top of a pepperoni pizza.

(food on the whole was very good though in our opinion).

On the larger ships, the NY Pizza makes individual-size pizzas to your specifications (choice and quantity of ingredients) and even provides a carry-out box if you want to take it to your room.  The two largest HAL ships also have sandwiches.  Here is the menu from the Nieuw Amsterdam (located on the Deck 9 by the outdoor aft pool):

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-nieuw-amsterdam-on-board-images/nieuw-amsterdam-dining-2/nieuw-amsterdam-dining-ny-pizza

Here is the menu for the Konigsdam, including sandwiches (located above the indoor pool on Deck 9):

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/gallery/ms-konigsdam-dining-options/IMG_2258-Edit-2.jpg

I hope all HAL ships dump the Lido Market Pizza under the french fry lights, and adopt NY Style Pizza.   On one Westerdam cruise in 2017, I was waiting for a person in front of me to select some slices of pizza in the Lido market.  Obviously they were not happy with the quantity of pepperoni on the slice they took, so this person, using her fingers, was pulling slices of pepperoni off of the remaining slices and placing them on her slice.   Disgusting !!   I notified the HAL worker who was taking care of the Pasta Bar, which is next to the pizza pans, and he removed all the pizzas and trashed them.  I had to wait 20 minutes for another pizza to be brought out.   

On 8/17/2019 at 12:21 PM, fatcat04 said:

The New York pizza on NA this last cruise in February was fresh, crispy thin crust, and tasted great. Took it back to the cabin for late night movie time. Dh and I shared one ourselves while the teen son easily gobbled one up on his own. Ah to be young and have an indestructible stomach again. 

I whole heartedly agree with this!  The NY Pizza on NA was very good 2 years ago and it appears that it still is! Good to know as we will be cruising her again in a few months.

57 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

I hope all HAL ships dump the Lido Market Pizza under the french fry lights, and adopt NY Style Pizza.   On one Westerdam cruise in 2017, I was waiting for a person in front of me to select some slices of pizza in the Lido market.  Obviously they were not happy with the quantity of pepperoni on the slice they took, so this person, using her fingers, was pulling slices of pepperoni off of the remaining slices and placing them on her slice.   Disgusting !!   I notified the HAL worker who was taking care of the Pasta Bar, which is next to the pizza pans, and he removed all the pizzas and trashed them.  I had to wait 20 minutes for another pizza to be brought out.   

Lido pizza on Oosterdam last month was pretty good in my opinion