Things You Learn with Experience

mattmdv

Hello All!

We haven't cruised for several years, but always thinking and hoping, Someday!!!

We do have some family members that have a Carnival cruise booked in several months. I had compiled a list of things that we, and other cruisecritic board members had learned over numerous cruises. Examples like:

You can ask for seconds, and more, in the MDR.

Use the Spa/Gym showers.

Saunas & Steam Rooms are free.

Ask your Cabin Stewart if you forget something, ie, toothpaste, sometimes they have samples.

Bring a travel mug, with a lid. You can use all day, coffee, juices, etc.

These are some that I remember. Trying to make another, newer, updated list for niece & nephew.

Any bits of wisdom, things that you have learned over your cruising times will be appreciated.

Matt

We have cruised for over 25 years and now have a check list that covers about everything to pack and do before leaving. No matter how many cruises we that there is always something on that list I would have forgot to do or take every time. Some major items, passports, boarding passes, cash, cell phone and charger, for me hearing aid and batteries, believe it or not socks, reading glasses. Things to do at the home before leaving. Once each and every one is checked off. We are ready to go and no need to turn back for forgetting something important.

• Like 3

Packing: I don't know where they are going, but if taking a Caribbean cruise, pack some blue jeans, and maybe a long sleeve polo shirt. I know for me, I got quite chilly at nights walking around the ship. Also, take a pair of compact binoculars. I took mine and so glad I did. They were in constant use. So much so I carried them 24/7, except when dining.

Meds: We planned for every contingency. Small first aid kit, containing band-aids, antibiotic ointment, etc. Also imodium, antacids, antibiotics, etc. Lanyards. You'll need them, unless you want to keep the S&S card in your pocket. 

Take a look through Amazon's cruise accessories. Good stuff to browse through:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cruise+accessories&lo=list&language=en_US&crid=3R0UA2XV7RDB&linkCode=ll2&linkId=82a3626649a0d741a5ddb9e22f4e8c19&qid=1562019848&sprefix=cruise+access%2Caps%2C434&ref=sr_pg_1

Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1

Biggest travel lesson, I learned early. BE PREPARED! If it can go wrong, it might! Late flights, cancelled flights, car trouble, etc. Have credit/cash available for emergencies and be ready to roll with the punches.

Second, RELAX. Once you are on the way everything else is pretty much out of your control. There may be a screaming baby next to you on the plane. Try to smile through the pain. There will be people that try to cut in line for the buffet/elevator, smile and move one. Reservations for a show made for the wrong time, eh catch the next one. Missed or changed ports, praise the Lord you're still not at work 😋

I hope they have a great time!

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Similar to what has already been said:

2.) Checklist: No need to bring the whole house. Compile a list of necessities and save it for future vacations. It makes packing less stressful and saves you money vs going in the expensive shops.

1.) Have a good time: Unless I am told I can't get on the ship, there are few things that are going to bring me down. I don't have to work. I am going to go to warmer weather. I am going to places I rarely visit. There is entertainment everywhere. I don't have to cook or clean. Lots of others are having fun. All of the stuff people complain about is trivial. Enjoy yourself.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

On Carnival ships that have a Cloud 9 Spa, steam rooms are not free. They are still free on ships without a Cloud 9 Spa. 

Yes there are other steam rooms, not co-ed, but in the men and womens restroom and they are free

1 hour ago, Schoifmom said:

Two weeks before traveling, double-check that your documents (passport or ID/BC) are in order.  

Certainly prudent advice, but I would recommend that you perform your first check two months prior to departure.  If, in fact, you find that you have a problem (e.g., passport is expired or birth certificate can't be found) it's, probably, going to take more than two weeks to get replacements.  Then, as Schoifmom suggests you can double-check two weeks prior to departure so that you can remember where you put them.  

1 hour ago, mattmdv said:

twodaywonder, Thank You, Any chance you could scan and send me a copy of your list?

Adjust to your needs. How water at the sink. We have a how water dispenser there.

Many will remove or even add to this list. I have it in excel with blocks to check off.

THINGS TO CHECK WHEN LEAVING FOR A CRUISE

TURN OFF THE HOT WATER AT THE SINK

2-SMALL SIZZORS

TURN OFF BREAKER HOT WATER

NAIL CLIPPERS

LOCK SLIDING DOOR

NIGHT LIGHT

LOCK FRONT DOOR

CLIPS FOR CABIN CURTINS

SET THE TIMER FOR LIVING ROOM LIGHT

PEN

TURN ON THE COMPUTER LIGHT

TURN ON THE WORK ROOM LIGHT

TIDE STAIN REMOVER

TURN ON THE BEDROOM LIGHT

ABREVA FOR COLD SORES

TURN ON FLA. ROOM LIGHT

WIFE RAZOR

LEAVE OPEN THE MASTER BATH DOOR

TWEEZERS

SET  A/C TO 83 WHEN LEAVING

NASAL SPRAY

PLUG THE DOG IN

TOOTHPASTE

TAKE READING GLASSES

MOUTH WASH

TAKE SUN GLASSES

MY DEODORANT

TAKE A HANDKERCHIEF

WIFE DEODORANT

TAKE THE ALARM CLOCK

FIBER TABLETS

SHUT OFF THE GENERATOR

ANTI-DIARRHIA

PUT CHLOR TAB IN POOL

2 FLOSS & PICKS

MY BATHING TRUNKS

ANTI ITCH SALVE

WIFE BATHING SUIT

ALEVE

HAND MIRROR

CHAP STICK SPF 15

TURN ON THE ANSWERING MACHINE

HAND CREAM

TAKE HEARING AID

SEWING KIT

TAKE HEARING AID BATTERIES

BANDAIDS

SHUT OFF THE WATER TO THE HOUSE

DANS SHAVER

TAKE THE CELL PHONE & CHARGER

ZIT

PASSPORTS

TRIPPLE ANTIBOTIC SALVE

PARKING RECEIPT

BINGO MARKERS

BOARDING PASS

PJs

TAKE SOME MONEY (CASH)

HAIR JELL

PRE-SHAVE

MEDICATION

COTTON BALLS

COTTON SWABS

MOSQUITO REPELLENT SPRAY

5 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

We have cruised for over 25 years and now have a check list that covers about everything to pack and do before leaving. No matter how many cruises we that there is always something on that list I would have forgot to do or take every time. Some major items, passports, boarding passes, cash, cell phone and charger, for me hearing aid and batteries, believe it or not socks, reading glasses. Things to do at the home before leaving. Once each and every one is checked off. We are ready to go and no need to turn back for forgetting something important.

On your check list, I noticed you had "Plug the Dog in" . What is this??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As JennyB1977 said RELAX

Don't worry about things like missing a port ...

You are on a cruise ship where everything is done for you....

Packing take two of most things so one can be in the wash...

Drying smalls coat hanger on the A/C vent in the ceiling.

Dine in MDR      to have somebody wait on you is great...

Do not rush   enjoy and stop to smell the roses....

Watch the sunrise from the top deck.....

and watch the sun set with a drink.....

And the big one.... Cruising can be Addictive

Cheers Don

• Thanks 1

A lot of good advice above so I won't reiterate anything. Just think of things backwards.

Flying? What do you need to get TO the ship? What do you need to get ON the ship? Do you need passports at anytime? What ship credit card are you going to use (and do you have a big enough limit)? Did you properly enter in all of your information when filling out the cruiser information online?

I'm sure I missed some, but you get the idea. The non sexy stuff that if you don't have it, you can't replace it and often won't go on the trip. Or a very hard time fixing it. Do your research and you will be fine.