Do You Have to use a porter outside

md80fan

Simple question. Can you check your bags inside during the check in process or do you have to drop the bags off outside with a porter. When my family sailed on Symphony out of Miami we dropped our bags outside but they were just placed on a giant cart. I really did not feel safe leaving the bags out in the open as inbound passengers were leaving and outbound passengers were showing up. There was confusion with the madhouse of people coming and going. Now we did get our bags and had no issues so I have no complaints. However for the next cruise I was just curious can we actually bring the bags inside the terminal and drop them off when we check in. When we did Harmony out of FLL the process seemed a little better as they took our bags away as soon as we handed them over. In MIA they just sat on the cart where anybody really had access to them. It just left a uneasy feeling.

You can take your bags inside yourself, as long as they will fit through a typical airport type scanner.  However, you will have to keep them with you until staterooms open around 1pm.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, md80fan said:

I was just curious can we actually bring the bags inside the terminal and drop them off when we check in.

There’s no drop off once inside- if you do that you need to carry your bags all the way to the cabin. 

Another though that might be anathema to the posters here (*smile*):  Show up later.  Even if they are taking your bags inside the terminal, they are still going on those carts no matter what.  It is how they transport the baggage to security and then on to the ship.  The potential still exists to get things mixed up when the offboard and onboard traffice gets mixed up.  Sorry in advance to those who need to be the first on 🙂 

Thanks for the reply. I was not sure if it was like a airport where you can actually check your bags at the ticket counter inside or outside at the curb. We do not want to carry our bags around until rooms open so I guess just drop them off outside. 

1 hour ago, vision14k said:

Unless you have The Key!

The Key has luggage drop off restrictions. ”Carry-on luggage drop-off service is limited to two pieces per guest and can weigh no more than 25 pounds per carry-on.”

1 hour ago, md80fan said:

Thanks for the reply. I was not sure if it was like a airport where you can actually check your bags at the ticket counter inside or outside at the curb. We do not want to carry our bags around until rooms open so I guess just drop them off outside. 

No, you are correct, not like the airport.  Sorry.

If it helps to ease your mind, luggage problems are VERY rare.  They really do have the whole thing down to a science.  If bags were constantly getting stolen, you'd see a LOT of threads about it all over this site and every social media site.

Since nothing of value should be in your checked luggage, there's no real incentive to the average Joe Cruiser to go to the cart and steal your bag.... it's unlikely your clothing will fit the thief, and there isn't an easy revenue stream for used clothing (most thieves aren't going to bother listing each item on Poshmark!).  

Those carts don't really sit on the sidewalk for very long, either -- when they are full, they get pushed over for the bags to be screened by security and then taken onto the ship.  With people pouring in constantly, each cart gets filled rather quickly.  

I would suggest getting your own luggage tags with pre-printed personal info and cabin/ship info putting them on prior at your hotel or airport upon arrival. This makes me feel better that IF the porter still slaps a tag on, you have back up just in case.  I ordered clear ones from Amazon and add them when at the hotel prior to heading to the port.

• Like 1

If you book a Star Class room you follow your bags into the terminal and a single porter takes them to your open room and drops them off inside the room.  They are always in our room when the genie takes us to our room as soon as boarding starts.  One sure way to know where they are.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cruisegal40 said:

I would suggest getting your own luggage tags with pre-printed personal info and cabin/ship info putting them on prior at your hotel or airport upon arrival. This makes me feel better that IF the porter still slaps a tag on, you have back up just in case.  I ordered clear ones from Amazon and add them when at the hotel prior to heading to the port.

What does a luggage tag have to do with someone stealing your bag???

And why would a porter put a tag on your luggage if you already have a tag on your luggage?

Edited by brillohead
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jakeil7 said:

Another though that might be anathema to the posters here (*smile*):  Show up later.  Even if they are taking your bags inside the terminal, they are still going on those carts no matter what.  It is how they transport the baggage to security and then on to the ship.  The potential still exists to get things mixed up when the offboard and onboard traffice gets mixed up.  Sorry in advance to those who need to be the first on 🙂 

Nope. Last 4yrs I've been 1st dozen to drop off my Luggage outside and first ones threw the door. Bags were on my floor or at my room by 2pm every time. Think first carts filled are first to board ship. Still Luck either way. 

Never had a problem getting on a ship, and we normally are there early.  Vancouver can have a problem - the porters taking the bags for several ships are standing beside each other and you might give them to the wrong person.  They are pretty good about checking, but if two ships from the same line are there luggage could get on the wrong ship (tags look the same).

Have intercepted several folks wheeling one of our suitcases toward the immigration line when getting off the ship.  People don't seem to check if the bag is actually theirs.  Helps if you get off the ship immediately when your group is called and not be one of the last people to claim your luggage.

Have also seen bags piled high on those carts fall off when the forklift is carrying them to or from the ship.  Worst was Galveston.

Make sure you tip the porters particularly in NYC ports. Also don't just drop your bags off. VHang around until they are placed on the luggage cart. Passengers leaving the ship will have no contact with these carts unless, of course, they are planning on stealing your luggage 😠😠😠

52 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Nope. Last 4yrs I've been 1st dozen to drop off my Luggage outside and first ones threw the door. Bags were on my floor or at my room by 2pm every time. Think first carts filled are first to board ship. Still Luck either way. 

Not necessarily that first carts filled are the first to board.

Over the years I have watched the embarkation process once boarding.  I have seen full luggage carts pushed to the side and sit there for an hour or more, while later full carts were onboarded.

But to you last point, "luck either way" I agree.

For the OP.  put the luggage tags on, I put them on both handles of each individual luggage.  I have never had an issue with checking bags with the porters.

Don't really feel like dragging them through the terminal nee escalators, checkin lines, up the ramps to the ship. and then maneuvering them through the ship while waiting until the cabins are open at 1:30pm

Just now, gatour said:

Not necessarily that first carts filled are the first to board.

Over the years I have watched the embarkation process once boarding.  I have seen full luggage carts pushed to the side and sit there for an hour or more, while later full carts were onboarded.

But to you last point, "luck either way" I agree.

For the OP.  put the luggage tags on, I put them on both handles of each individual luggage.  I have never had an issue with checking bags with the porters.

Don't really feel like dragging them through the terminal nee escalators, checkin lines, up the ramps to the ship. and then maneuvering them through the ship while waiting until the cabins are open at 1:30pm

Yes, as said Luck either way. Just my Experience. Only once in 32yrs Cruising had wait until almost Dinner time get one bag...

Earlier this month,  I saw several luggage carts.  I dropped my previously tagged luggage on the cart and my luggage ended up at my stateroom by 3ish.  Anthem was the only ship in port so I wasn't worried about putting it on the wrong cart.