Possible hurricane

Responder

With a new hurricane moving towards Florida, I wonder what might happen to next Sat Equinox sailing. Trying to call Celebrity goes nowhere as I assume everyone on that sailing has the same question. If it continues on the estimated path, I don't see how the Equinox could return to the port from this weeks trip.

Sometimes ships stay at sea an extra day, sometimes they come into port a day early, let passengers off and thn head out to sea to wait out the storm, sometimes hurricanes change course and wo, whi knows at this stage what will happen?  Watch the Celebrity home page for announcements

47 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

There is absolutely no point trying to call Celebrity nearly a week in advance. No one knows where the storm will be. Keep checking here, your Roll Call, and X’s Web site. 

and if you are booked on it as we are you will get an email letting you know the deal.   Shutters ready and then sail away!

Edited by Nymich

We were on the Equinox in September 2017 and didn’t know that we would actually be sailing until the day before. We were heading to the airport when we got the confirmation. There were MANY people that didn’t sail due to the damage in Florida. I really didn’t think we would either. We had backup plans that were fortunately able to be cancelled. It was a hot mess. Similar thing happened last September, but it wasn’t as bad. Never had to change course, but it was discussed up until the time we actually sailed.  Needless to say, we won’t be sailing during hurricane season again.

We sailed out of Bayonne.   The ship came in the night before and passengers had the option of staying on board or leaving .

X tried to contact everyone that was sailing on the next cruise, the one we were on that the ship would be departing early to avoid the storm.  Don’t know how many misssed  the ship but I think the next port was Boston.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Relax.  No cruise line wants to risk sailing into a hurricane.  Last May, I was on a ship (not Celebrity)that stayed in Oporto 3 days waiting out a bomb cyclone. Oporto was not affected by the storm. Captain waited until he thought it was safe to sail. We skipped 2 ports.  It was a disappointment, but completely understood. When we did sail, the seas were rough. Still had a great time on the cruise. There was extra entertainment. 

• Like 1

From the National Weather Service, 8/26 6:56AM Eastern TIme.

As of the now, the NHC forecasts Dorian to be a tropical depression as it moves through the Bahamas late this week, but that forecast is subject to change.

Edited by SC_Floaters
Needed to add additional information...

14 hours ago, Purplsmurf said:

We were on the Equinox in September 2017 and didn’t know that we would actually be sailing until the day before. We were heading to the airport when we got the confirmation. There were MANY people that didn’t sail due to the damage in Florida. I really didn’t think we would either. We had backup plans that were fortunately able to be cancelled. It was a hot mess. Similar thing happened last September, but it wasn’t as bad. Never had change course, but it was discussed up until the time we actually sailed.  Needless to say, we won’t be sailing during hurricane season again.

After many years of sailing in Sept and October, we have made the same decision after last year. 2016 we left out of Orlando early to beat a hurricane heading for FL. 2017 we sailed out of SJ three weeks after maria. Hotel and airline reservations were cancelled and we didn't know if we would sail until a week before. SJ  was destroyed and we felt so guilty sailing away with food, water and AC.  Last year hurricane heading to carolinas and N FL the day we flew to Miami. We changed flights to day earlier at great expense. The third times was the decision maker. Never again

So early to know if Dorian will be H strength or just a disorganized rain maker when she gets further west.

She could skirt south of the keys and end up in the gulf and bring rain to Texas.

Or she could impact either side of FL... 

It does look like the Aug 31 sailings may be affected and may see schedule changes

We sail from Bayonne in 2012 a few days after Hurricane Sandy slammed NJ.....We had no electricity or heat in our home....We weren't sure if we could get to the port until just a few days before we were scheduled to sail.....It was very hard to get any info from RCCL.....We decided to go.....One couple inner group stayed home.....We had a great cruise....I did not feel the least bit guilty (my neighbors watched my home).....When we returned home, the heat & electricity was restored....There was devastation all around us.....and we pitched in & volunteered to help our less fortunate neighbors.....We now live in Florida & we have a cruise booked this year (at the end of hurricane season)

1 hour ago, hrhdhd said:

Hurricane season runs from June 1 through November 30 (officially). I'll roll the dice. 😀

True, but the worst is in September and part of October. Guess I should’ve said that I won’t go in September during hurricane season. 

22 hours ago, Responder said:

With a new hurricane moving towards Florida, I wonder what might happen to next Sat Equinox sailing. Trying to call Celebrity goes nowhere as I assume everyone on that sailing has the same question. If it continues on the estimated path, I don't see how the Equinox could return to the port from this weeks trip.

There's absolutely nothing Celebrity will/can tell you. Unless Fort Lauderdale takes a direct hit of a major hurricane, the ship will probably sail as scheduled. If there's rough weather while you're out on your cruise, the captain will either go around any bad weather, change ports of call, etc. Was on Princess a couple of years ago during a really bad nor'easter. We had 20-25 foot seas. It took them 2 hours to get the last tender onto the ship in Newport, and then we arrived in Boston almost 7 hours late (all excursions were cancelled). 

They will not risk anything.

1 hour ago, Nymich said:

Pretty interesting as the arrival of the storm to South Florida seems to be right when the Equinox is arriving back in/leaving out of Lauderdale.  You never know

But the port in Fort Lauderdale is likely better prepared for big storms than ones in those small islands.  

I noticed at the end of the link that one could join a discussion in the "storms" forum or whatever.  That should get rougher than the storm itself!  Like discussions on dining room dress codes (please let's not go there).

6 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

However the worst of the season is typically during September and October.

Sure. But I was responding to this: " . . . we won’t be sailing during hurricane season again."

13 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

However the worst of the season is typically during September and October.

Tell that to Katrina and Andrew.  Down here we learn to be ready no matter what the month.  I know the media loves to sell watch out for peak season blah blah blah.

We are actually booked for sat on the Equinox so whatever happens we are ok.  Once a ship sails they will always try to keep you safe.  If I did not live here I might be hesitant to book during hurricane season because that seems like a big pain with the travel problems etc,...….  Living here is easier if we do sail I prepare the house give the key to people watching it and off we go!  

Edited by Nymich
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, jpcello said:

There's absolutely nothing Celebrity will/can tell you. Unless Fort Lauderdale takes a direct hit of a major hurricane, the ship will probably sail as scheduled. If there's rough weather while you're out on your cruise, the captain will either go around any bad weather, change ports of call, etc. Was on Princess a couple of years ago during a really bad nor'easter. We had 20-25 foot seas. It took them 2 hours to get the last tender onto the ship in Newport, and then we arrived in Boston almost 7 hours late (all excursions were cancelled). 

They will not risk anything.

That is true... the cruiselines are going to do anything they can to sail on schedule. The biggest challenge for cruisers is planning for a direct hit on the departure port..... The weekend before Irma hit... we were dealing with the after effects of Harvey (I think that was the name)... We live in Atlanta and had gas shortages and a few parts of town were without power. Our plan was to drive to Orlanda a few days before our cruise... go to EPCOT and then drive on down to Miami. But as the storm got closer and bigger... it dawned on my that millions of Floridians might be heading to Georgia... and then we would be driving to port Miami with millions of Floridians heading home... with lines for gas all along the way.... I could just see us waving as the ship took off.    As we watched reports on Irma the Saturday before it hit... the reports were that it was going to hit the western part of Florida and miss a direct hit on Miami... so I checked the airlines and got some very reasonable fares to fly instead of drive. I guess everyone was cancelling. We really lucked out... the hotel we had originally planned... did not respond to phone calls... so I managed to book a room near the airport...   Everything worked out... but it required back up plans to backup plans. As we were going through all this..it occurred to me that travel insurance might not cover us..if we simply chose not to go but the ship did sail on schedule. It is one thing if you are sick or if your flight is delayed...but to say we didn't go because we were concerned about traffic and gas shortages...probably wouldn't have worked...unless...perhaps... we actually had made the long 12 hour drive and failed to get to port.... I am not 100% sure... but it worked out. We have sailed three years in a row in Sept-Oct time frame and have had to modify plans around storms each year. But it all worked out... and we go again this year in Sept. Now... I say that living in Atlanta... if I lived in an area that might suffer a hit... I probably would not go during hurricane season. It is one thing to take a risk on your vacation... but another to leave your home unprotected and not knowing what you are going toface when you get home...