What does "Touch Canal" mean?

calicakes

We're looking at the Dec 23rd 2020 cruise from Tampa.  Its called " Touch Canal".  

Itinerary: Cozumel, Puerto Limon, Costa Rica, Panama canal( cruising), Colon, Panama, Cartenga, Columbia( overnight), Georgetown, Grand Caymen).

We've been to Cozumel and will be in Grand Caymen next month.  We really enjoy beaches/snorkeling going to Cozumel/Caymen again wouldn't bother us.  The fare seems very reasonable for a Panama canal cruise.  I'm assuming it doesn't go thru the Canal because its too inexpensive and doesn't that take a few days and isn't that a TA cruise( forgive me for my ignorance). 

Anyone have any insight? 

We asked the question and were told that the ships goes into the locks.  

We did a cruise that went through the canal and it took less than a day. 

A cruise to or through the canal isn’t a TA. A cruise that goes  all the way through the canal enters the Canal from either the Pacific and exits in the Atlantic or the reverse.  

A TA is a cruise that goes across the Atlantic, e.g. Miami to Rome.  

49 minutes ago, calicakes said:

I'm assuming it doesn't go thru the Canal because its too inexpensive and doesn't that take a few days and isn't that a TA cruise( forgive me for my ignorance)

A TA is a transatlantic -- typically, a cruise that goes from the US to Europe, or Europe to the US (or South America)  -- across the Atlantic Ocean.  If you look at a map, you will see that the Panama Canal links the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.  A full transit of the Canal starts at one end and goes all the way through to the other; it takes most of the day, not a few days. The OP is talking about a partial transit.

Edited by Turtles06

9 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

A TA is a transatlantic -- typically, a cruise that goes from the US to Europe, or Europe to the US (or South America)  -- across the Atlantic Ocean.  If you look at a map, you will see that the Panama Canal links the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.  A full transit of the Canal starts at one end and goes all the way through to the other; it takes most of the day, not a few days. The OP is talking about a partial transit.

I'm the OP.  Let me rephrase my question.  I was under the impression that a PC cruise takes days because it takes a couple days to get thru the canal AND its more expensive( the cruise) because of the fees charged to transit thru the locks.  

So basically Touch Canal means that its not going thru the full canal? 

9 minutes ago, calicakes said:

I'm the OP.  Let me rephrase my question.  I was under the impression that a PC cruise takes days because it takes a couple days to get thru the canal AND its more expensive( the cruise) because of the fees charged to transit thru the locks.  

You will enter the canal through a set of locks, turn around in Gatun Lake, and come back out the same side you came in. All in the same day.

2 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

You will enter the canal through a set of locks, turn around in Gatun Lake, and come back out the same side you came in. All in the same day.

Thank you.  So, is that interesting?  Do passengers hang outside?  Are there things to see? 

22 minutes ago, macaroni said:

It is going thru one canal and then back out the same canal. .there are 2 canals for a full transit...

There is only ONE Canal. There are three sets of original locks in the Canal.  A partial transit from the Atlantic side goes through the Gatun Locks (three locks) and later goes back through those locks. The other two sets of original locks are on the Pacific side. (New sets of locks, parallel to the original locks, opened several years ago to accommodate larger ships.) 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, calicakes said:

As stated earlier, it takes less than a day (dawn to dusk, typically) for a cruise ship to go through the Panama Canal.  

“Touch Canal” is not some term of art. It sounds like a made up cruise line name for the itinerary you are looking at. 

A full transit cruise of the Canal does take one full day, from Pacific to Atlantic, or vice versa. 

We did one earlier this year.  Takes most of  one day. 

As said above a “ touch Canal” is a partial transit, most often entering from the Atlantic, turning around in Gatun Lake and returning back to the Atlantic.  When we did this one 10+ years ago, passengers could disembark at a small dock area within Gatun to take purchased ship’s tours for part of the day.  Ours included finishing a full transit from there to the Pacific Ocean ( at Puerto Amador) on a 350 person ferry boat. It was quite comfortable, and included lunch and a 90 minute bus ride across the whole of Panama back to Colon, where our cruise ship was waiting for us.  

On this “partial” transit, there were several other options available, including visits to the lock headquarters, train rides thru the jungle, and others.  All included transport by land back to the ship waiting in Colon.  Some passengers never left the ship at all that day and stayed with it for a short “ Gatun Lake” ride and then back out the Canal to Colon, where there is a mammoth shopping area at the Pier. 

Different cruise lines have different choices. Hrhdhd described what Celebrity is offering. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, calicakes said:

A full transit of the Panama Canal takes 8 to 10 hours.  We have done six full transits, and it is one of our favorite itineraries.  The transit is narrated, and most passengers find the operation of the locks themselves to be of great interest.  Interesting sights on both sides of the canal, and most passengers find themselves on upper decks walking from one side of the ship to the other.  

2 hours ago, calicakes said:

Thank you.  So, is that interesting?  Do passengers hang outside?  Are there things to see? 

My engineer husband thought it was very cool. I thought it was hot. ☀️

No, it's quite interesting. And we had a ship ahead of us and one right behind us, so we could see what would be happening to our ship before it happened and then watch what we had done after we did it, if you know what I mean. It is probably something you would enjoy doing at least once.

We hope to do a full transit someday, but the 15+-day cruises that do the full transit don't work with, well, working.

8 hours ago, calicakes said:

Most find it very interesting as they squeeze your ship into the lock with only a scant 2' to spare all while watching the "mules" work your ship and viewing the other ships at the locks.  You will find the forward facing positions on the outer decks very popular, but you can always find a spot somewhere to take in the operation.  Once the ship clears Gatun Locks it will go to the nearby anchorage  where those passengers who have purchased shore excursions from the ship will tender ashore to meet their tour.  Touring passengers will then rejoin the ship at Colon.  Those who do not take a ship's tour will lock back down Gatun Locks along with the short sail to Colon.

Once you reach Colon there is a shopping mall at the pier where you can get the obligatory T shirt.  Time at the dock in Colon is relatively short and there is not time for a tour at this point.

We went quite a few yrs ago on Royal

C 's Brilliance of the Seas.  Going through the locks into Gatun Lake was amazing.  Ship had an excellent  place in  line and we had a wonderful early daylight pass through. We  could see so much from outer decks and inside lounges.Quite an experience to see it work.

There was a noticeable  "bump "  of the sides in the locks ( "mules"  that pull ship along are not under ship's control) Captain  not happy and crew was out painting the scraped areas on side of the ship.

We took an excursion ..tendered to small dock on Gatun Lake.  Then a  comfy guided bus trip through the Canal zone to Gamboa rainforest.  Great canal viewing from the high up platforms.  Took a tram over the forest...saw NO wildlife.   Also made a visit to a nature and butterfly preserve , and  then  resort for refreshments...much needed as Panama is hot hot hot.

We  were returned to the  pier shopping area past the duty free commercial zone I think that was this port??? and the slums of Colon. Pier had Great shopping ( locally made),  food,  music and entertainment.

All in all an excellent day!

Suggest reading David McCullough The Path Between the Seas .  Excellent  account of how it all came together , all 600 pages plus footnotes .  Have not read too much about the newer canal/ locks but hope someday to do a full transit! 

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

We also did the partial transit with RCI on the Brilliance. We had an aft cabin  - part of the time we watched from our balcony to see what happened as we made it through a lock and kept our TV on with the front of ship view to see the action from the front. We went on deck for some of the transit to see things from that point of view. It was very exciting! My DH and the other men in our group got off at Gatun Lake and went on a fishing charter - they had a great time. 

The partial transit was a great way to see the canal and how it works, but we would love to go back for the full transit next time. 

We did the full transit Miami to San Diego a couple of years back on Infinity and the canal passage took a day.  It was April and very hot and humid but a great trip through the old locks.  IMO I would want to experience the old locks if going for the first time to get the best historical experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diesel1973 said:

This cruise seems to be very interesting. Too bad it is only offered over Xmas holidays. Any other time I would seriously consider it.

The Touch the Canal Cruise is offered in Jan & March 2021 on the Connie out if Tampa.

1 hour ago, diesel1973 said:

This cruise seems to be very interesting. Too bad it is only offered over Xmas holidays. Any other time I would seriously consider it.

Celebrity is not the only cruise line 🙂