Luminea questions

RSLeesburg

7 hours ago, Lynnys said:

Can you eat in Blu if you are in a veranda suite but not aqua?

Did you mean a regular veranda cabin or a suite with a veranda? If you are in a suite you can dine in Blu, if there is availability. Otherwise, Blu is the assigned restaurant for people on AquaClass - people in other types of veranda cabins would be unable to dine in Blu. 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

"Can you eat in Blu if you are in a veranda suite but not aqua?"

You might be mixing two things up -- there are verandah staterooms, which have the MDR as their dining room.  Passengers in those rooms may not dine in Blu

Then there are suites, (which also have balconies).  Suite passengers have Luminae as their dining room and can ask to eat in Blu, which can be arranged on a space available basis.

59 minutes ago, 39august said:

Is the petit filet mignon on the children's menu at dinner or lunch? Is this from the MDR menu, please? 

When I looked at the kid's menus, they were the same throughout the ship. Good question about lunch or dinner - I would think both, but have never brought kids on X. Others may know for sure.

Here is a link to the kid's room service and dining room menus:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/camp-at-sea/kids-menu

Edited by vtcruising

15 hours ago, RSLeesburg said:

Thanks for all the replies.  I am not sure if we will want to eat in MDR or not...lol.   I was more curious if we were assigned to a table or not, as we may not show up.  Would hate for table mates to be waiting for us.  We mostly eat in specialties or WJ on RCI.  Our son prefers the buffet, and my wife and I prefer the smaller restaurants to the MDR.  Luminea sounds like it will be wonderful.  Do they have a kids menu, or at least have options that may appeal to a less-than-adventurous kid may like?   

You are not assigned a table.   There is also no set time for dining, you just show up and will be quickly seated.     Usually seating is by your party only and most seating are 2 tops.   It is not uncommon to meet other and go to dinner together if you choose.

Yes, they were. The 3 items from Boulud are available everyday at the bottom of the menu

( same daily). We had the Moroccan chicken the first night and both of us really enjoyed it. The other 2 are an appetizer and a dessert..sorry I don’t remember the items. 

You will be assigned to dinning in the Luminare. Basically the first time you go there they get all your information and keep track of it for your next meal. This way they can try to put the same staff with you every time. The longest wait you will ever have is ten minutes. 

The food is the best on the ship and as other posters have said you can order from all the other restaurants. I have had several occasions were I wanted some pasta so they went to Tuscana kitchen and came back with some fresh pasta.

I typically get the French onion soup from the MDR menu then something off the Luminare menu for appetizers and chose something for the main dish from either menu.

Hope this helps!

Why would you need to have steak every night?   Haven’t you seen the billboards with the cows writing to eat chicken?  

I like a variety,  fish, chicken, pork , lamb, beef, shellfish, and etc.    

The few cruises that we have been able to have a suite in our budget we found Luminae to be very good.   Is it better than Blu?   Maybe but I. Have always loved the one that I was with.   The MDR, Blu, Luminae,  they are all great with fantastic  service. 

The buffet?   It s a buffet that offers a lot of variety.  I can always find something tasty or that appeals to me and don’t expect everything to be Michelin 3 Star.  

Never seen anyone dying from starvation on a cruise,  if they did die because of the food it would from overeating.  🤗

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We have only ever cruised Aqua.My wife, who is not an adventurous eater decided to order steak every day except the last day of a 7 day cruise.the last day, she was seasick so she had a green apple and white rice. When we returned home, she needed emergency surgery to remove her gallbladder. Too much high fat meat. 

The filet mignon for adults is served the first night and is on lunch menus 2 and 6 (you never know which one will be served though menu number 1 has always been served to us for embarkation lunch). The desserts are the best!

Luminae Dinner.pdfLuminae Desserts.pdfLuminae Lunch.pdfLuminae Breakfast.pdf

In addition, at dinner they have these Daniel Boulud items every night:

Chilled carrot and ginger veloute, with prawns, lime, and cilantro

Moroccan chicken tagine, with saffron couscous, turnip, cauliflower, preserved lemons, and olives

Raspberry pistachio vacherin, with Vanilla ice cream

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 7:35 AM, vtcruising said:

When I looked at the kid's menus, they were the same throughout the ship. Good question about lunch or dinner - I would think both, but have never brought kids on X. Others may know for sure.

Here is a link to the kid's room service and dining room menus:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/camp-at-sea/kids-menu

We were on the Edge last March and asked for the kids menu in Luminae. They said Luminae does not have a kids lunch menu. Luminae does have a kids dinner menu, but not available at lunch time.

5 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

We were on the Edge last March and asked for the kids menu in Luminae. They said Luminae does not have a kids lunch menu. Luminae does have a kids dinner menu, but not available at lunch time.

Thanks! I would think they would have to modify what they have - can you imagine younger kids eating that huge hamburger? Were they able to make something for the kids that they liked?

27 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Thanks! I would think they would have to modify what they have - can you imagine younger kids eating that huge hamburger? Were they able to make something for the kids that they liked?

I was looking for tomato soup. Tomato soup is on the evening kids menu in Luminae. It was not a big deal. I just thought not every kid goes to the kids club. I'm thinking this is only on the Edge, because you can order from the MDR lunch menus when dining in Luminae on all the other Celebrity ships.

1 minute ago, bigbenboys said:

I was looking for tomato soup. Tomato soup is on the evening kids menu in Luminae. It was not a big deal. I just thought not every kid goes to the kids club. I'm thinking this is only on the Edge, because you can order from the MDR lunch menus when dining in Luminae on all the other Celebrity ships.

Oh, okay. You are probably right. They told us that the Luminae galley is very small on the Edge (in addition to being far away from the other galleys) so they have a hard time stocking extra items. Short-sighted planning, IMO.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 7:44 PM, tjunmin said:

Luminae caters to dietary needs better than the MDR or Blu. For instance, my spouse is vegan; at the beginning of the cruise, we inform Luminae's chef, who then provides vegan meals for my spouse for the entire length of the cruise. Luminae vegan dishes are far superior compared to Blu.

RSLeesburg, in case you are interested, you'll find photos of some of the menu items served at Luminae in April of this year on board the Constellation here [link].

Awesome pics! Thanks.

Side question:

Do you generally get the same waiter for the entire cruise in Luminea?

45 minutes ago, reposado said:

We have found that it depends upon the cruise. On the Edge and the Connie they put us with the same waiter and table each night (or the table next to it) and we loved our tables and waiters. On the Eclipse and Reflection, it seemed like we moved around more. We got to know 2-3 waiters - they all were good, but we had favorites.

You could have a word with the maitre 'd or hostess on the first night about trying to have the same waiter/waitress and they will likely try. Since people show up any time without reservations, they can't always guarantee it.

One night we wanted a window table in a quiet area for our anniversary and they had us go to Michael's Club around the time we asked for and they called the concierge in Michael's when the tables was ready (we just had time to have our cocktails). They also gave us one of the best waiters we have ever had and we had an amazing night.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, reposado said:

We have never been on the Edge, but have been in suites on both M- and S-class ships.  On both classes we have had no problems in requesting the same wait staff each night.   After the first night, if we are happy with the wait staff, the next night we ask the maitre 'd if it would be possible to be seated in the section assigned to that wait staff, and there have been no problems.

On 8/31/2019 at 7:36 PM, grandgeezer said:

Only as a last resort. We are on the second leg of a B2B on the Equinox, in a suite. Last leg there was two nights where there wasn’t a steak on the menu, one of them was lobster night, that’s just wrong. Luminae has no every day menu so you order off the MDR menu. After eating several days of eating Luminae menu items, the MDR food was a huge letdown, did this twice. If it happens again this week, buffet here we come. The expectations won’t be near as high

We ordered many things off the MDR menu and it definitely was not a last resort, in some cases the first choice.

4 hours ago, reposado said:

Awesome pics! Thanks.

Side question:

In my case, we tend to dine early, so the maitre ‘d always sits us at the same table with the same wait staff. But as others mentioned, you can always put your request with the maitre ‘d and they will do their best to honor it.

Thom

6 hours ago, vtcruising said:

We have found that it depends upon the cruise. On the Edge and the Connie they put us with the same waiter and table each night (or the table next to it) and we loved our tables and waiters. On the Eclipse and Reflection, it seemed like we moved around more. We got to know 2-3 waiters - they all were good, but we had favorites.

You could have a word with the maitre 'd or hostess on the first night about trying to have the same waiter/waitress and they will likely try. Since people show up any time without reservations, they can't always guarantee it.

One night we wanted a window table in a quiet area for our anniversary and they had us go to Michael's Club around the time we asked for and they called the concierge in Michael's when the tables was ready (we just had time to have our cocktails). They also gave us one of the best waiters we have ever had and we had an amazing night.

I must give all Luminae staff a great thanks for going out of their way to seat us with the staff we want or like from past cruises. I my have issues with Celebrity , but never with the staff in Luminae.