Door Banners

33Minnie33

20 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Yes, you can place a door decoration.  It helps identify which door is yours.  Over the years, we've seen many of them that celebrate a holiday, birthday, anniversary, or cruising in general.  Go for it, and have a lovely cruise.

Thank you.....

It has been years since we have cruised on Holland. We are super excited to be cruising on a Transatlantic Cruise on Holland this Oct. Does Holland allow Door Decorations? Nothing Crazy just a banner held up with magnets. Thanks

On my three cruises in the last year. Door decorations were not permitted. I suspect enforcement may vary, but be prepared either way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

On my three cruises in the last year. Door decorations were not permitted. I suspect enforcement may vary, but be prepared either way.

So many cruise lines are going to the No Decorations. Thanks for the information.

Wow!  Must be new regulation, since our 2018 Christmas cruise where dozens of doors had decorations.  Maybe, it's occurred because the tape that some people use damage the doors/finish.  I can see that.  

OP, call Ship Services, see if they know anything.  Once on the ship, I'd check with room steward or Front Desk.  I wouldn't want to go to the trouble of putting something up only to be told a few hours later that it must come down.  Or else.  

No door decorations due to “fire hazard”.  Yep...that’s what they said on the Amsterdam.  Didn’t even think to ask about the “door mail” that we get daily. My paper/decorations will burst into flames but their paper won’t?  Hmmm...  My opinion?  I really think it’s because some people were snitching other people’s decorations.  There was a lot of that on the last world cruise that allowed it that we were on.

Linda R.

There were multiple doors with decorations on our recent Amsterdam cruise.  I have decorated on several of our cruises and am taking two different themes for our 40 day South Pacific Collector on the Noordam this fall.  Life’s too short not to have fun.

6 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

How did you get notified that they were not permitted?

Sent from my desktop using MTF

9 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

No door decorations due to “fire hazard”.  Yep...that’s what they said on the Amsterdam.  Didn’t even think to ask about the “door mail” that we get daily. My paper/decorations will burst into flames but their paper won’t?  Hmmm...  My opinion?  I really think it’s because some people were snitching other people’s decorations.  There was a lot of that on the last world cruise that allowed it that we were on.

Linda R.

"Fire Hazard" is a favorite excuse when a cruise line wants to ban something.  Electric kettles are provided in some markets, but are banned in others as a fire hazard.

Mobility devices parked in corridors and stairway/elevator lobbies overnight while the deck is a full occupant load pose a great life safety hazard to passengers than door decorations.

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

"Fire Hazard" is a favorite excuse when a cruise line wants to ban something.  Electric kettles are provided in some markets, but are banned in others as a fire hazard.

Those old party poopers! 

I remember back in the 1980s when a Princess Cruises’ head waiter was cooking something like bananas foster tableside and an unfortunate woman’s hair caught on fire. That and similar episodes seemed to put a damper on that practice, although Celebrity still does flambé lobster in their Murano restaurants. No doubt it’s done aboard other lines’ ships, too. 

We have always hung a Dollar store item (monkey, bunny, etc) from the mail slot.  We have never had HAL remove it but have had it stolen many times.  I like something there so my parents can locate the room easier.  When we do our 14 day in Nov/Dec over Thanksgiving I have 3 ready to go.  Hopefully they all come home!  (I may put a GPS locator in it so I can track the movement on the ship!!!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When we traveled a few years back with our parents who at the time were in their late 80's, we always tied a bright ribbon to the  mailbox so they could find their room.  We let the room stewards know why it was there. Never any problem. Actually, once the room stewards figured out our parents daily schedule which became their routine,  if possible, the stewards would watch out for them.  One of them would be standing by the door, welcoming them home.  I love HAL for that.  

• Like 5

There is no problem to attach something to the mailbox.

HAL does it for birthdays (balloons) and I’ve seen lots of mailboxes with a small ornament to mark the cabin and they have never been removed 😉

It’s the actual doors they are concerned about IME.

I always do a door sign with the places we are going to on it.  We just did an Alaskan cruise in May on the Volendam and both our friends door and our door had signs held on by magnets.  I guess it depends on the ship.  We go on the Zaandam in 3 weeks and I have my door sign ready....hopefully I will be able to use it.

After having all sorts of nice door decorations disappear over the years, She Who Must Be Obeyed now has a set of small paper plates with a variety of holiday designs.  She  glued magnets to the back and we use a seasonably appropriate plate for each cruise.  Nobody has ripped off our paper plates yet!

• Haha 1