lobster roll.

jan_oh_44601

A traditional Maine lobster roll is served cold. Lobster, mixed with some mayo, possibly some celery, served on a top split hot dog bun with maybe some lettuce.

You might find a hot lobster roll that is served with butter (not mayo), but in Maine you more than likely will get a cold one.

Same in Canada - you will almost certainly be able to get rolls with a hot lobster meal so could construct your own, but any advertised lobster roll will definitely be cold.

Think of them like a REALLY fancy egg salad sammich - binder (almost always mayo, sometimes with a touch of mustard for a bit of zing - personally I feel Salad Cream would be perfect but that's really just a British product), crunchy bits (usually celery IME, but maybe also onions, peppers), seasoning, and then just lobster chunks instead of the boiled egg bits. And nobody sane eats warm egg salad 😉

Ironic timing, as we will soon be leaving on a NE/Canada cruise, which I've been calling "the Lobster Roll cruise," as that's what we intend to eat for lunch in a bunch of our ports. I'd never heard of hot lobster rolls until a few hours ago, when one of my siblings, who'd just returned from a trip to Maine, mentioned seeing them offered in one of the restaurants where they ate.  And then up popped this thread! 😄  To me, a lobster roll should be cold.   YMMV.

Happy Labor Day weekend to all ... Dawn was at Newport, RI earlier on Sunday as we're in the neighborhood, on wheels.  Found a great spot for lobster roll, not walkable from the pier area (which was very, very busy - unlike when we visited back in mid May) - a quick Uber or taxi (??) ride away - not expensive, order & pay, counter service when ready & buzzed to pickup, not fancy.  Lines formed toward the back of this casual place, it moved slowly with 1 window opened with the cashier, 15 to 20 minutes of waiting for us before we placed our order, plenty of seating inside & another 5 to 10 minutes for cooked to order.  Lookup - Flo's Clam Shack - worth a trip if you've seen Cliff Walk & the Mansions already - see pictures below:

Clam chowder (creamy or red, or spicy) in a bowl was loaded, enough for 2 to share.  Lobster roll (cold, lots of craw meat) w. mayo on side, lettuce, toasted bun done right - is a  great deal at just $18, or a little more as a platter.   Fried Fisherman's platter, lightly battered with fresh ingredients is huge, enough to share by 2 light eaters at $30 only. 

Collage 2019-09-01 19_37_41.jpg

Collage 2019-09-02 00_40_24.jpg

Collage 2019-09-02 00_37_57.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

Husband and I were just talking about lobster rolls. We will be on our Lobster cruise Oct 7 on Adventure. I also had never heard of a hot lobster roll, but had one of each at a food truck a couple weeks ago. Naturally this was consumed as a experiment before we hit Maine. We were told exactly what the previous poster said. Maine lobster roll was cold with just mayo and the Conneticut one was hot with butter. Both were very good.

Also would advise a stop at Gilbert's near the port in Portland. Super clam and seafood chowder.

• Like 1

In Bar Harbor,, just about any place. The places close to the tender pier tend to be more expensive. A block or two away, and the prices are more reasonable. And don't forget blueberry pie. In St John, stay away from the Old Farmers Market. Their lobster rolls may be cheaper,but they are not very good. Try the Farmers market next to the pier where you dock in Halifax. The lobster rolls are excellent. Or walk down the boardwalk for about half a mile. There are many restaurants and kiosks selling them.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2019 at 3:43 PM, Gershep said:

Any recommendations for Bar Harbor, Halifax and Saint John?

In  Bar Harbor we love 59 Cottage (located on Cottage Street about half a block or so off the main tourist drag).  Great lobster, in addition to a wonderful blueberry sangria (offered seasonally).

In Halifax we always stop at the lobster shack in Goldwater Seafood (located in the Seaport Farmer's Market).  Wonderful lobster rolls in large and mini sizes with or without sides (two types of fresh salad or locally made chips).

• Like 2

We are booked for a July 2020 cruise to New England/Canada on Empress.  I love lobster but I will be looking for clam rolls. I love the New England whole belly fried clams. Down here on Long Island we have the old fashioned Howard Johnson's clam strips. Not the same.

• Like 1

We will also be on the Oct 7 "Lobster Roll Cruise"!  Our group plans to stop at DeMillo's for lobster Rolls, and Lobster Mac & Cheese and apparently steamed lobster.  We have heard good things.  We also plan to seek out lobster in many varieties on this cruise.  Or I should say that I plan to seek them out.  DH would probably prefer a hot dog, LOL!

1 hour ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

We will also be on the Oct 7 "Lobster Roll Cruise"!  Our group plans to stop at DeMillo's for lobster Rolls, and Lobster Mac & Cheese and apparently steamed lobster.  We have heard good things.  We also plan to seek out lobster in many varieties on this cruise.  Or I should say that I plan to seek them out.  DH would probably prefer a hot dog, LOL!

DeMillo's has been living off it's previous reputation, food is generally mediocre and overpriced for lobsters and rolls compared to other places in town.

• Like 3

In Portland my choice for Maine Sea Food would be  Gilbert's Chowder House  located on the harbor at 92 Commercial Street. The food is very good here, you can get a traditional Lobster Roll or a BLT Lobster Roll. The whole fried clams and clam chowder are about the best you will find.   

242245575cd6ed9e2e2b67dbbcc00aca.jpg

img_2710-copy.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/6/2019 at 8:15 PM, Northern Aurora said:

In  Bar Harbor we love 59 Cottage (located on Cottage Street about half a block or so off the main tourist drag).  Great lobster, in addition to a wonderful blueberry sangria (offered seasonally).

In Halifax we always stop at the lobster shack in Goldwater Seafood (located in the Seaport Farmer's Market).  Wonderful lobster rolls in large and mini sizes with or without sides (two types of fresh salad or locally made chips).

Thanks... will definitely check out the shack next time we're there! 

In Bar Harbor we went to Route 66 on Cottage St. We had the full lobster dinner that came with the New England clam chowder and blue berry pie. It was delicious. They had lobster rolls on the menu. It's a short walk from the ship.

In St. John we went to Grannan's for lobster rolls, they were good but I'm sure there is better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

Is there a good place for clam chowder/lobster rolls in Bar Harbor near the ship?

Check out the downeast deli on main st. It's about a block and a half up once you get off the tender on the right side of the street. I was there last week. It was about $18.00 with tax and worth every penny. The only drawback it that  it's take out only. But it you walk another block or so, you'll come to a nice little park with benches.

7 hours ago, mets123 said:

Check out the downeast deli on main st. It's about a block and a half up once you get off the tender on the right side of the street. I was there last week. It was about $18.00 with tax and worth every penny. The only drawback it that  it's take out only. But it you walk another block or so, you'll come to a nice little park with benches.

I actually just saw that one on TA and marked it.  Looks like a good option if the weather is good.  Is the park just a block further, away from the ship?