Luggage tag question

racnwdow

I have printed off my luggage tags and when folded, they do not fit in my luggage tag holders we have always used on RCI.  I printed them on cardstock and covered in packing tape to make more durable.  But I seem to remember you are not supposed to put your cruise luggage tags on until after you have arrived at the airport?  Is this correct or my memory wrong.  Don't want to have to take a stapler with me to  attach after landing.  And do you print a luggage tag for your carry on? TIA

You can print them for your carry on luggage if you like, it's up to you.  I often will attach an extra to something I intend on carrying.

The biggest issue with putting the tags on checked luggage before any flights is the airlines may very well remove them somehow in transit.  However, usually the cruise terminal will have tags available for you to fill out as you give checked luggage to the porters.

So, it's really all up to you in the end.  Enjoy your cruise!

5 minutes ago, racnwdow said:

I have printed off my luggage tags and when folded, they do not fit in my luggage tag holders we have always used on RCI.  I printed them on cardstock and covered in packing tape to make more durable.  But I seem to remember you are not supposed to put your cruise luggage tags on until after you have arrived at the airport?  Is this correct or my memory wrong.  Don't want to have to take a stapler with me to  attach after landing.  And do you print a luggage tag for your carry on? TIA

There really isn’t a right or must do  answer.  I haven’t put our luggage tags on when leaving home for years and years.  One, we stopped flying in the day of the cruise.  Back when we did that Holland America also had porters in baggage claim pulling bags.   Not sure they do that today.  Two, we fly in at least the day before so no need to put the tags on until we leave the hotel for the cruise terminal.   Also, some think putting tags on at home advertises to airport personnel, cabbies, etc., you’re going to be gone.  Others, like me, don’t see the need and the tags have a high probably of being torn off.  

11 minutes ago, racnwdow said:

But I seem to remember you are not supposed to put your cruise luggage tags on until after you have arrived at the airport?  Is this correct or my memory wrong.  Don't want to have to take a stapler with me to  attach after landing.  And do you print a luggage tag for your carry on? TIA

You are correct. Do not attach cruise tags until AFTER you have arrived at the airport. I've asked a customer service counter (car rental? airport?) to borrow a stapler. 

I do not put a cruise tag on my carry on, but it's up to you. 

Print extra copies and put one inside each bag, just in case something happens to the tag on the handle. Some people print an extra tag and put one tag on each handle If the bag has two handles. 

I do not put the tags on until I'm leaving for the port. I don't fly the day of the cruise, so I can borrow a stapler at the hotel front desk. The Embassy Suites in Fort Lauderdale does such a huge cruise business that they sometimes have a porter in the lobby who goes around with a stapler helping people with their tags!

If you don't want to travel with a stapler, carry a roll of shipping tape and just tape the ends together. It should hold, especially if you've already covered the folded tag with tape, as I do. 

And remember, printing docs and tags at home are "for your convenience." 🙄

We put them on at the hotel the morning of the cruise and borrow a stapler from the front desk.  I don’t fly with them on as they can be ripped off.  If you are not going to a hotel then hole punch them at home and bring elastics, string or zip ties to attach in the airport before you go to the port.

Just now, 1of4 said:

We put them on at the hotel the morning of the cruise and borrow a stapler from the front desk.  I don’t fly with them on as they can be ripped off.  If you are not going to a hotel then hole punch them at home and bring elastics, string or zip ties to attach in the airport before you go to the port.

Duh!!  Zip ties!!  What an awesome solution.  And takes no space.  Thank you.

• Like 1

Many years ago when HAL started to have us run off our documents and luggage tags, I made my own sleeves to slide the paper tags into -- made from plastic photo album sleeves.  Then I punched holes into the sleeves.  When we are ready to leave the hotel, I use cable ties to attach them to the handles of the suitcases.

I have used those plastic sleeves for years and years.

• Like 1

My personal opinion (after working for HAL at the San Diego Airport for 8 years).....put the tags on your bags before your flight.

In the past, the tags had space to put your home address and phone on them.  Recently that has changed for the better.  Now your cell phone #, cabin number, ship name, and date of sailing only.  Be sure to turn you cell phones on......and don't put your home number.  

In the rare case of  luggage being mis-routed, or arrive on a different carousel than you expect....a cruise tag (any cruise line) immediately draws attention to the Meet & Greet staff....and a call will be made to the ship to see if you are onboard.

Frequently, guests somehow expect that their luggage will be automatically transferred to the pier!  Airline baggage counters will page cruise staff if they see a cruise tag and the bags have not been claimed in a timely manner.

Shoreside staff cannot take bags to the airport, but we can claim them if a cruise tag is on the bag and the names match.

You don't have much to loose, and a lot to gain.

David

• Like 1

I have not used those tags since the days of printing tags.    When I get to the port I get some dockside tags and attach them to my luggage.  Additionally I add the cabin number to  the business card I have in the built-in luggage tag.  

On 9/4/2019 at 6:04 PM, jhannah said:

Thanks, Jim!  I never thought to look at Walmart.  The tags HAL sent me as a Mariner gift fell apart after a few uses.  I got a lot from my former TA that have held up, but new ones would be nice.  I have found that HAL drew a marker line across the clear plastic somewhere in the handling process that is hard to remove.

Karen