Western Med Cruise Advice Needed

seba1

Planning a Mediterranean cruise next August. Debating between the Allure out of Barcelona and Explorer out of Rome. Itineraries are the same with start/end ports different.

Our teens will be with us. Hubby and I have been to Rome, kids haven't. We will only have the day we fly in the day before the cruise and 2 days post-cruise for sightseeing.

For those who have sailed this itinerary, and these ships, any pros/cons for them? It's hard to decide since they are different-sized ships (never been on either class) and different embarkation/debarkation ports. 

Thanks!

• Clarea changed the title to Western Med Cruise Advice Needed

We did the Oasis Western Med cruise in June, out of Civitavecchia (Rome), and stayed there three days post cruise. You can't see much of Rome as a port stop.  Civitavecchia is an hour away from Rome, so you can't spend much time seeing many sites.  We loved both Barcelona and Rome, but we were glad to have more time in Rome. You'll have a great time either way.

Tiber St Peters.jpg

We have done a Med cruise on Mariner and Brilliance, both were great. Have Allure booked for the Med in Oct. 2020, we cruise for the ship as well as the ports.  Lots to do on Allure as long as you can stay up late. If your primary goal is ports and excursions then go with Explorer. happy cruising

I'm a fan of the smaller, older ships but for this particular itinerary, I'd go with the Allure. This will be a trips where you'll need a vacation from a vacation. Port intensive itinerary and big bells-n-whistles ship will leave you exhausted at the end of each day.

We sailed the 7 night on Symphony in 2018. We flew into Rome and spent 3 days pre-cruise; We loved Symphony and all that Oasis class offers. We had been to Barcelona and Rome previously on land trips and we knew that you can see more of Barcelona as a port stop, especially since it its so close to many key sights. The hop-on bus works well in Barcelona since the streets are wider; Rome's ho-ho bus leaves you with a longer walk to the central attractions.

Embarkation in Civi was a breeze, with far fewer passengers to load than in Barcelona

We have also sailed Explorer, most recently to Alaska, and she is a beautiful ship as well. Oasis class just offers more for kids, teens, and adults, too. If there is a significant price difference,  that would influence me since the overall experience will be great on both ships.

Have fun whichever ship you choose.

Barb

We did Allure out of Barcelona - love the ship & cruise (as well as ports).

Barcelona also well worth a few extra days prior to departure, which is what we also did.

Final advise...consider private tour options - ours through RomeInLimo were outstanding for both the LaSpezia (Florence/Pisa) & Civitavecchia (Rome) port stops. You get a full day of time to see the sights.

It all depends on what your priorities are.  

We sailed the same 7 day itinerary on Oasis from Barcelona in May this year and we also sailed Explorer from Southampton to the Med in August.

My advice - choose itinerary over ship for the Med.  You aren't going to spending much time onboard so I would disregard ship. Don't be swayed into thinking you have to go on the biggest ship.  Both ships are nice and both have plenty of things going on for the kids.  And besides - if you haven't been on Allure you won't know what you are missing and will be totally wowed by Explorer.  She isn't exactly a small ship! 

If both itineraries are the same I would narrow it down to which Embarkation port do I want to see more of.

If seeing the sights in Rome is important to you I would sail from Rome.   If you sail from Rome you can spend some time there before and after your cruise.  

The same goes for Barcelona - if you want to discover all that Barcelona has to offer then I would sail from there. 

If it were me -   sailing from Barcelona would get my vote.  It is my all time favourite port to start a cruise on.  The airport is just a few minutes drive to the port and the cruise ship terminal is central to the city.  Civitavecchia is a drag to get to and from - and Rome is quite some distance away.  

Edited by livylotte

I noticed with the Explorer Med cruise that the 1 cruising day happens early in the cruise where as Allure's 1 cruising day happens the day before you depart the ship. Its a very minor consideration but that would help influence my decision to take the Allure.  I like having the last day to relax a little.

All the ports look great on either cruise, no wrong decision to choose either Rome or Barcelona as your start.

Happy Cruising!

On 9/12/2019 at 6:33 PM, seba1 said:

Planning a Mediterranean cruise next August. Debating between the Allure out of Barcelona and Explorer out of Rome. Itineraries are the same with start/end ports different.

Our teens will be with us. Hubby and I have been to Rome, kids haven't. We will only have the day we fly in the day before the cruise and 2 days post-cruise for sightseeing.

For those who have sailed this itinerary, and these ships, any pros/cons for them? It's hard to decide since they are different-sized ships (never been on either class) and different embarkation/debarkation ports. 

Thanks!

I would pick Allure because of Central Park and the Boardwalk.

Barcelona has a nice beach and lots to see and do and the port is walking distance from Las Ramblas in the centre of Barcelona plus the airport is only 20 minutes away.

Rome is nice but the roads are congested all the time and it is 1 hour from the beach.