Free Movies Returning

CHEZMARYLOU

13 hours ago, Fouremco said:

How disappointing. At home, I get all the news I want electronically, but l still subscribe to a print newspaper to read at breakfast, a habit developed decades ago. 

On HAL, the printed versions are still available, but are now available electronically on the HAL website as well, even if you don't have an Internet subscription. Is the e-version available on Celebrity without a package?

Don't know about electronic version. I had planned on an X cruise this fall, but changed to HAL after I heard about dropping of free movies. I don't think I will go back Celebrity, at least for some time. Just to many things have changed that used to bring us so much pleasure. I have cruised HAL twice and liked the experience very much. I am looking forward to the B. B Kings Blues venue on board.

21 hours ago, Cruzinram said:

Last December on the Reflection. I talked to the Cruise Director one night, and he said between the TV and Smart Phone Celebrity felt like you could get all the news you wanted. They looked at it as a cost  that could be cut  due to I suppose the news source contractor and paper. I will miss it and I told him and Guest Relations I would gladly pay a little more to have it every morning,.

What happened to the morning paper was a question asked when LLP had her recent Q&A here on CC. 

Morning Newspaper: Please bring back the Daily Newspaper that was published in multiple languages at Guest Relations. It is a very small item that always brought me much pleasure. I always looked forward to picking it up in the mornings and reading the current news over a cup of coffee.  I like to disconnect from the world and prefer that I do not have to carry my phone with me while on board to keep up with daily events on board.  If cost is a factor just add it to my fare. I will gladly pay for these small pleasures.

Response from LLP: Hello.

Thank you for your comment. We have had a strong initiative to avoid printing when possible as part of our environmental efforts on-board. If you would like a particular Daily in a specific language, please let Guest Relations team know and they will be able to assist. 

Have a great rest of your day!

13 minutes ago, kathynorth said:

What happened to the morning paper was a question asked when LLP had her recent Q&A here on CC. 

Morning Newspaper: Please bring back the Daily Newspaper that was published in multiple languages at Guest Relations. It is a very small item that always brought me much pleasure. I always looked forward to picking it up in the mornings and reading the current news over a cup of coffee.  I like to disconnect from the world and prefer that I do not have to carry my phone with me while on board to keep up with daily events on board.  If cost is a factor just add it to my fare. I will gladly pay for these small pleasures.

Thank you for your comment. We have had a strong initiative to avoid printing when possible as part of our environmental efforts on-board. If you would like a particular Daily in a specific language, please let Guest Relations team know and they will be able to assist. 

Interesting considering how they flood your stateroom with paper. I must fill up my waste can everyday with paper from Marketing. I guess that's ok.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Cruzinram said:

Interesting considering how they flood your stateroom with paper. I must fill up my waste can everyday with paper from Marketing. I guess that's ok.

So true, mailbox to waste can without ever being read. If Celebrity was sincere about its efforts to reduce paper, at the very least they could allow you to opt out of all the advertising.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Cruzinram said:

Called ROI.  No income generated from a free newspaper, but from an art auction brochure, potentially thousands...none from me, though!👍

My cynical side says LLP did this knowing full well she would reverse it, but making another change /cut while we were distracted!😉 

But I don't care right now because I board Eclipse on Sunday!😁

See how easily manipulated I am?  

Andrew

So we’re currently on the Silhouette, the free on-demand movies were absent at the start of the cruise and now they’re back! Not a huge selection, but good to see that Celebrity have responded to the wealth of complaints they were receiving across the fleet. Here’s a screenshot of the free movies currently available on the Silhouette. 

B907EDCE-FAA9-4522-9A46-77D6F79BB6E9.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

So true, mailbox to waste can without ever being read. If Celebrity was sincere about its efforts to reduce paper, at the very least they could allow you to opt out of all the advertising.

This complaint arises frequently.

The explanation given by Celebrity staff is that they are trying to reduce the amount of paper they generate,  but they do not control the paper generated by the various independent outside vendors who rent concession space on board, (such as the shops, spa, art auction).

Thank you Celebrity, cruise critic members and my roll call for sending emails. It means a lot to us on sea days and those days we realized we saw the show multiple times. Gone are the days there are too many new things to do that are true activities, so I am happy for movies, now that the libraries are going. And non existent  on Edge. (I finally broke down and got a Kindle)

Cruise  lines go to so much trouble selling guests on being return guests, its nice if they remember what made us fall for the line in the first place.

Celebrity was once the only line we could escape to, to avoid smoke and get intuitive service. Times have changed. There are more options, I would love to see that amazing service return. We saw glimpses of it on Edge in December.

4 hours ago, kathynorth said:

They used to have the news on the stateroom TV and this too has stopped. Can't blame this on printing paper. Just straight cost cutting. Easier to justify dropping the print versions when the content is still available on your TV.

5 hours ago, kathynorth said:

A day without news on a cruise is a good day...relax..

To be fair this shows that Celebrity does listen and act. Things will never go back to the way they were on any mass market cruise line, different market and product these days. My wife and I were out shopping at the weekend and went past a travel agents window which was full of cruise offers, most agents windows are half cruise offers and half hotels. We commented that we preferred cruising before it became so popular.

7 hours ago, yorky said:

To be fair this shows that Celebrity does listen and act. Things will never go back to the way they were on any mass market cruise line, different market and product these days. My wife and I were out shopping at the weekend and went past a travel agents window which was full of cruise offers, most agents windows are half cruise offers and half hotels. We commented that we preferred cruising before it became so popular.

The problem is back in the “golden days” of cruising there was no “mass market” line.  It was so cost prohibitive, even Carnival was painful expensive back then. Plus the ships were half to 1/3 the size.  X totally berths may have held 10,000 on the top end.  With the growth and popularity of cruising,  it is nearly impossible to maintain the personalized service level with the size of the ships what they are these days.  The explosion of the mega ships from 1999 onward was the final straw in killing the traditional cruise ship experience on what are now the “mass market” lines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, NeroliGirl said:

So we’re currently on the Silhouette, the free on-demand movies were absent at the start of the cruise and now they’re back! Not a huge selection, but good to see that Celebrity have responded to the wealth of complaints they were receiving across the fleet. Here’s a screenshot of the free movies currently available on the Silhouette. 

Thanks for posting..we can live with this on EDGE in Nov if it's the same list..

Watched Dumbo on SW Air last week..winder what it's rated,  Def not  good for young children in my opinion!

On 9/18/2019 at 5:44 PM, NeroliGirl said:

Happy to hear the movies are back.

The above is actually a nice selection but usually just do the free movies. I will be on the Solstice Monday for its Honolulu to Sydney run, hope they have something good. 

What I like is you can pause the movie. So each night before bed I will watch 30 minutes to an hour. May take 3 nights to complete the movie. 😊