Free Movies Returning

CHEZMARYLOU

There is a post on FB that includes an e-mail from Celebrity stating that free movies are returning.

Dear Mrs. 

Thank you for your email.

Good news! Our guests’ spoke and we listened! We have reinstated the free movies in the stateroom and our ships are in the process of reloading the movies on board and updating the movie content. Thank you so much for voicing your disappointment, as we are happy to be able to do this for our guests.

• Like 15

9 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

So this means I will be sitting in my room watching movies yeh!  No need to see the ship, live music, socialize, enjoy the views of the ocean any more, go to talks, try new foods, drinks etc.  I'm in it for the movies! 

For those of us who become ill when travelling and end up having to stay in their room as I did on my last cruise -  4 days out of the 29 I was onboard because I hurt my back, or those that might be in the room looking after small children etc while the rest of their party is out doing the things you have mentioned it is good news.  While you may not plan on using the movie option it is always nice to know it is there as the TV options are dreadful.  There are only so many news channels you can watch and if you have no interest in sport you are totally stuffed.

• Like 22

10 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We don't watch movies on board but for those who enjoy them this is good news. It's also a positive step showing Celebrity does listen to feedback. 

I agree and, though we don't watch movies on cruises as a rule, am happy for those for whom it is important (and it was obvious that it was important to many).

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

So this means I will be sitting in my room watching movies yeh!  No need to see the ship, live music, socialize, enjoy the views of the ocean any more, go to talks, try new foods, drinks etc.  I'm in it for the movies! 

Your apparent lack of any thought about others who may be sick, hurt or just want complete down time is, well,  sad.  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Suzi66 said:

For those of us who become ill when travelling and end up having to stay in their room as I did on my last cruise -  4 days out of the 29 I was onboard because I hurt my back, or those that might be in the room looking after small children etc while the rest of their party is out doing the things you have mentioned it is good news.  While you may not plan on using the movie option it is always nice to know it is there as the TV options are dreadful.  There are only so many news channels you can watch and if you have no interest in sport you are totally stuffed.

Agreed.  When you are stuck in your stateroom with an upset stomach or worse, the movies are a welcome distraction.  Glad to hear they are returning.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

And after partaking in all of the above that you list how about a nightcap in bed watching a movie to fall asleep by.  

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Suzi66 said:

It was meant as sarcasm, from reading the boards it was like the end of the world for so many.  I said in other postings I understand how it might affect others but I don't watch tv or movies at all, maybe an hour a week its on but that's about it.  I find many other things much more stimulating and healthy.  I'm glad Celebrity listens and there is power in social media.  Luckily for me I have never gotten sick on a cruise, or any vacation overall but do know people who have. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Am going on my first celebrity cruise 24 October 2019.  Whilst I probably would not watch movies in my cabin as there is so much to do elsewhere or the balcony to read I see no issue with them being available nor anyone watching them.  No footstools on the balcony is another matter why have they taken them away?  It does not make sense as a cost cutting exercise if they already have them!!!  Can you tell me therefore what modern luxury is?  I have enjoyed Marella and P&O plus NCL Pride of America.

I am sure I will enjoy the cruise as I am enjoying the lively roll call.

Nightcap in bed with a movie sounds great I am sure my Dad who I travel with will like that (well the nightcap anyway).

This board is much more interesting than P&O.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

It was meant as sarcasm, from reading the boards it was like the end of the world for so many.  I said in other postings I understand how it might affect others but I don't watch tv or movies at all, maybe an hour a week its on but that's about it.  I find many other things much more stimulating and healthy.  I'm glad Celebrity listens and there is power in social media.  Luckily for me I have never gotten sick on a cruise, or any vacation overall but do know people who have. 

I think we all knew you were being sarcastic.  I guess those of us who enjoy watching a good movie at the end of a wonderful day on a cruise are just not enlightened.  See you in Nov.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bikerunner said:

If you cruise enough you will eventually get sick.  It’s just playing the odds. I am very glad you haven’t been sick on a cruise.  Although better sick on a cruise than on land.

Just because you watch movies doesn’t mean you are unhealthy or unstimulated.  I am in very top notch physical condition but enjoy a movie here and there.  Also on the rare occasion you are sick on a cruise ship it is a nice distraction.  Or when you are getting ready for dinner.  Movie watching on a ship does not equal unhealthy or unstimulated.  That broad of generalization is completely unwarranted.

Edited by rimmit
  • Like 3

For those of us who spend weeks on board, a movie is a wonderful alternative to the repeat of the juggler or the production shows.

By the way, those people who enjoy a free scoop of gelato, the waffle cones have been raffled off to pay for the movies.  Gotta save those pennies somewhere.

Movies may also be necessary to replace the lack of a library on board... sorry, some of you don't cruise to enjoy a book...😉

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

As I posted on the Nymich thread,,,

"Hooray...thanks to Nymich,   all those who wrote to X,  and posted  here  and also to Cruise Critic for giving us this platform !   

We are still a voice!  Hope they  really restore the movies...no upcharge! The headline will read "Lisa listened!""

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bikerunner said:

Will love to hear your response if they announce that the live music has been cut back to only recordings, the lectures have been cancelled if they are not revenue generating and the prices of most interesting mains in the MDR are $25 per person, the drink package only includes beverages up to $5 including gratuity, etc. etc. etc.

We find most of the onboard activities beyond boring after you've seen the same thing more than 5 times so yes, we do enjoy spending a quiet afternoon in our cabin watching a recent movie.

• Like 4

I'm kinda in shock that Celebrity even listened!  One person made a really good point in an earlier thread - almost nothing on board is "essential" or useful to everyone.  That's what makes it a vacation - options and opulence and adventure.  When they start taking away those things to "save money" then we might as well stay home.  We switched from Royal Caribbean for the little added luxuries that made Celebrity feel more like a vacation... Pool towels readily available, mints on the pillow, real hand towels in the public restrooms, padded loungers, and reclining chairs on the verandas, Cafe El Bachio desserts, etc.  When Celebrity starts taking away all those little luxuries to save a dime - then they might as well call themselves Royal Caribbean.  Movies are not something we've ever watched - but knowing I have the OPTION makes my trip feel more like a vacation.  

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, FlamingJune1967 said:

I'm kinda in shock that Celebrity even listened!  One person made a really good point in an earlier thread - almost nothing on board is "essential" or useful to everyone.  That's what makes it a vacation - options and opulence and adventure.  When they start taking away those things to "save money" then we might as well stay home.  We switched from Royal Caribbean for the little added luxuries that made Celebrity feel more like a vacation... Pool towels readily available, mints on the pillow, real hand towels in the public restrooms, padded loungers, and reclining chairs on the verandas, Cafe El Bachio desserts, etc.  When Celebrity starts taking away all those little luxuries to save a dime - then they might as well call themselves Royal Caribbean.  Movies are not something we've ever watched - but knowing I have the OPTION makes my trip feel more like a vacation.  

Yes.  I made that point.  Thanks for reemphasizing it as many people only focus on what’s important to themselves.

We just went on our first X cruise in 9 years this August on the summit after being stuck in Disney and RCI till our youngest was finally old enough to outgrow the nurseries on those lines.   After coming back to X I was impressed despite some cuts how well (for the most part) they had maintained their ships and the experience compared to RCI.  RCI has cut so much over last 9 years I forgot what some degree of luxury was like until returning to X.  The difference was night and day between RCI.   The Grandeur (which is pretty close in age to the summit) is looking pretty rough these days.  As is the Enchantment.   The Summit after just undergoing the “revolution” looked gorgeous.  It’s not even comparable.  

As you stated it’s the small details that add to the sense of luxury on vacation.  On RCI you are having to “hack” your vacation together these days to get all the amenities you’d want.  If X eliminates the details,  as you stated, they might as well be RCI as there isn’t much to differentiate the two at that point.

• Like 1