2021 New Princess Itineraries

islandwoman

14 hours ago, Tak8 said:

Caribbean through summer of '21 seems to be the same.  I'd love to see some of these islands change. 

A number of the islands you might want to visit cannot handle the size ships that Princess is building now.

I have not looked past this year, but see the 12/22/19 Pacific Princess itinerary for a nice selection of different Caribbean islands.

10 hours ago, caribill said:

A number of the islands you might want to visit cannot handle the size ships that Princess is building now.

I have not looked past this year, but see the 12/22/19 Pacific Princess itinerary for a nice selection of different Caribbean islands.

Just looked at the 12/22/19 itinerary and it does have a lot of "new" ports that today's newer ships probably are too large for:  Guadeloupe, Martinique, Tobago, Mayreau (Grenadines), and Virgin Gorda.  We visited the first two (both French-speaking) on some of our earliest cruises (in the 1990s-early 2000s) as well as Tortola which is part of the same group of British islands as V G and have been to Trinidad, Tobago's much larger neighbor.  Surprised they're visiting Mayreau as it's extremely small: 1.5 sq miles, pop. 271.  Seems like a ship that can carry 700-800 pax will overwhelm the place.  We enjoy watching PBS's "Death in Paradise" which is filmed on Guadeloupe but the island is called "Saint Marie" on the show.

Edited by BarbinMich

6 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

Biggest thing I noticed is not the itineraries, but the fact that the Royal/Regal are moving to the west coast as the Enchanted and Sky come to Ft. Lauderdale.  I'm sure that's been mentioned on here before, but I missed the "heads up".

I've noticed the Royal staying on the west coast, presumably to continue doing Alaska cruises for the summer, but where have you seen the Regal also going to the west coast?  My family has decided we're mainly interested in the Royal class ships, so I've been keeping track of ship deployments but haven't seen the Regal's schedule beyond the March 27th, 2021 sailing to NZ for 13 days.  I noticed the Regal is absent in the Europe and east coast schedule, so the west coast and Alaska are certainly likely, but I haven't seen any official confirmation for this.  We would love to see the Regal doing some Japan cruises, but know this is unlikely with how specialized the Diamond is for that market.  

4 minutes ago, VersaliusPrimus said:

I've noticed the Royal staying on the west coast, presumably to continue doing Alaska cruises for the summer, but where have you seen the Regal also going to the west coast?  My family has decided we're mainly interested in the Royal class ships, so I've been keeping track of ship deployments but haven't seen the Regal's schedule beyond the March 27th, 2021 sailing to NZ for 13 days.  I noticed the Regal is absent in the Europe and east coast schedule, so the west coast and Alaska are certainly likely, but I haven't seen any official confirmation for this.  We would love to see the Regal doing some Japan cruises, but know this is unlikely with how specialized the Diamond is for that market.  

Captain Nick Nash told us last week on the Royal that both the Royal and Regal will be in Alaska in 2021. One will be based out of Seattle and the other Vancouver.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, idahospud said:

Captain Nick Nash told us last week on the Royal that both the Royal and Regal will be in Alaska in 2021. One will be based out of Seattle and the other Vancouver.

Ah, insider information!  😁  Good to have an official source, thanks!  

I'll be on the lookout for the Alaska itineraries then, as we are also interested in making a return trip there.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 12:48 PM, cruisequeen4ever said:

Thus far, I’ve been disappointed with the 2021 itins. I was hoping for some new Europe ones but looks like it might be the right summer to venture to Asia or something else. 

I found their Europe offerings to be particularly bad. They seem to have forgotten Spain exists other than Barcelona. 

Small ship lines like Seabourn have a nearly unlimited amount of itinerary options.  Lines with large ships are limited by port facilities and other economic realities.  Consider that the recent Caribbean Princess cruise to Greenland was a real fiasco because of tender issues at two ports.  Moving 3000 souls ashore can become a nightmare so most large ship itineraries minimize tendering and rely on piers that can handle large ships.  So, for example, while a 35000 ton ship can dock in downtown Bordeaux, a mega ship cannot even get that far up the river.

There are also many smaller ports that do not welcome large ships.  Some ports that used to welcome lots of ships are now seeking to severely limit large ship visits.  Examples include Venice, Dubrovnik and Santorini, and even Charleston.  There are other ports where the controversy about ships is still in its infancy.

Hank